BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Lucas Neill

Aussie (singular) ! Emertons going nowhere!

Oh how refreshing that is, considering that approx half the posters on here wanted shut of him just a few weeks ago!

P.S. I am not saying you were one of them LW; I don't know which camp you were in.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets play 3 at the back and put Benni/Roberts and Nonda up front

I'd like to see us with 3 at the back if Lucas leaves, assuming Nelson's back by then that is. I think Emerton would excel playing wing back for us, the only problem might be Pedersons defensive qualities on the other side...

Take the armband off him and let him sit in the reserves. Simple as that. How long is Hughes gonna keep him as captain? Right up until he leaves? Surely that has to have a negative effect on the team. He needs to do it now, regardless of how well he's playing.

He's playing very well, why drop him? It would be cutting off our nose to spite our face.

I'd like to see us with 3 at the back if Lucas leaves, assuming Nelson's back by then that is. I think Emerton would excel playing wing back for us, the only problem might be Pedersons defensive qualities on the other side...

That would also mean that we would probably have to drop Bentley, who has been one of our best performers this season.

We need a response from the club, either the manager or the board, soon! This situation where our club captain makes statements like this does not help matters especially with the current "feel good" surrounding the club. This cannot be allowed to continue. I know loyalty can no longer be relied upon and you could suggest that it never has, in the past it was kept under wraps. In my view player power highlighted in such a manner only disheartens supporters more and provides excuses for non attendance.

I don't completely disagree with what you say Boz, but there have been in the past many examples of true loyalty from Rovers players. The most recent example and one you all have seen for yourself being that of Tony Parkes. Then further back you had Duggie, and Ronnie Clayton, and another who may surprise some of you being Ally McCleod or "Noddy" as he was affectionately known to Rovers fans. He was quoted in his book as saying that the club he most enjoyed playing for and he had fondest memories of was Blackburn Rovers, and he then went on to expand on this by stating that he loved the club and the people of the area as they were the most appreciative and friendly fans he had ever played in front of.

The fact he feels he needs to make these comments is the thing that makes me angry. He could easily do a job for us until next summer and let his performances do the talking but to come out and say this says everything.

I would rather he didn't leave the club but Hughes is going to have a difficult decision on his hands after the break.

All those people who keep saying that we should drop Neill and play him in the reserves, Who would you play in his place because I watched the reserves last Monday and there's nobody I would even think of putting in the first team ahead of Neill, whatever he says about wanting to leave.

All those people who keep saying that we should drop Neill and play him in the reserves, Who would you play in his place because I watched the reserves last Monday and there's nobody I would even think of putting in the first team ahead of Neill, whatever he says about wanting to leave.

Read previous comments ;)

to drop Neill from the 1st team is ridiculously thing to do, he his one of our best defenders and is playing well atm...the decision have to be whether he should be captain or not! before todays comments I would say yes, but right now I'm not that sure anymore...

The guy really does need to keep his mouth shut. If a player wants to move on after his contract expires then fair enough, but saying things like this isn't going to do him any favours because I'm sure he'll receive a few boos from sections of the crowd now.

I hope he doesn't, been a great servant and gives his everything in each game he plays. Always remember he was the guy who got all the players to give their shirts to the fans at the end of season match at Spuds when we won 4-0.

Indeed, Duggie, Ronnie, Noddy & TP all fine examples of players who in the past have shown magnificent loyalty to BRFC, you could even add SG & Faz to that list. These were still in a minority with many dissatisfied players seeking a move, however they just got on with it and were shipped out. But all from a bygone age with maximum wage, dictatorial Chairmen and pre player power. In the current age we have, transfer windows, agents, multi-media, the world wide web with players having their own websites and quotes being sought from an insatiable media.

In my view it's intolerable for our club captain to make such public statements and he needs to wise up. Something which BRFC IMO needs to address, NOW by appointing a new interim captain. I can understand and applaud MH's attempt at trying various methods to persuade a very good player to re-sign, but it must now be seen as unsuccessful.

Please Ryan get fit soon!!

The way I see this is that we did an amazing job last year. The thing thats changed this year is that Neil has gone to left back and Bert to right back. Bert has been doing an amazing job where he is and has been filling the boots of Neil of last season superbly.

I was a great supporter of Neil until his big head and mouth got the better of him.

Some players leave Ewood with the fans blessing and this wasnt the way to do it.

Se thy later judas

Still nobody has really answered what we'd do if we dropped Neill. I read all those who think we could go to back 3 but that's rubbish because if we can't keep clean sheets and give very few chances with 4 half way decent defenders what are we going to do when we have only 3? We have no real option but to play Neill until at least the January window. The thing that annoys me most of all is that Lucas thinks if he went to a club like Liverpool he'd actually play. If even Stevie G is not guaranteed to start every week and Peter crouch can score brilliant goals and be dropped next game then what is in Lucas's head because it definitely isn't a rational brain?

Neill is one of our best defenders and should keep his place. I don't doubt his professionalism. However, as Mr Blair is finding out, it is difficult to be an effective leader when everyone knows you're off. It's a fairly fundamental issue. Much as I like Brad, I don't really like keepers as skippers, so I'd make Sav the captain until Nelsen is back.

neill's performances havent suffered and possibly the situation has galvanised him even further, but

by bad-mouthing rovers, neill is undoing much of Hughes' brilliant PR work.

neill should be thankful and appreciate rovers role in his career. i still believe he shouldve repaid some of rovers faith and loyalty towards him (by signing a contract if only to ensure rovers received a decent fee).

he seems to think if he's out of the country, his spoutings will go un-noticed. THEY DON'T!

on the few occasions that I've met him, he seems a nice guy. if our paths cross again, I'll explain what the word dignified actually means!

on rovers reserves have no-one to replace him, i wouldnt drop neill for matteo, jay or 3some, but I'll point to - ANDREW TAYLOR. anyone who's seen him play, will have noted his ability and recognise he's the obvious replacement.

neill's performances havent suffered and possibly the situation has galvanised him even further, but

by bad-mouthing rovers, neill is undoing much of Hughes' brilliant PR work.

neill should be thankful and appreciate rovers role in his career. i still believe he shouldve repaid some of rovers faith and loyalty towards him (by signing a contract if only to ensure rovers received a decent fee).

he seems to think if he's out of the country, his spoutings will go un-noticed. THEY DON'T!

on the few occasions that I've met him, he seems a nice guy. if our paths cross again, I'll explain what the word dignified actually means!

on rovers reserves have no-one to replace him, i wouldnt drop neill for matteo, jay or 3some, but I'll point to - ANDREW TAYLOR. anyone who's seen him play, will have noted his ability and recognise he's the obvious replacement.

I agree totally with what you are saying - though I wouldn't drop him - we need him playing out of his skin to attract suitable bids for his services in January. However - I would look to start playing Taylor in lower profile games (e.g. Worthy Cup & UEFA Cup if we can get a few wins under our belt quickly) - so he can hopefully slot in.

Also, lets not forget Gray - who did a reaonable job last year.

Ultimately - Neill has been replaced by Bert - who IMO (at the moment) is actually doing as good, if not better job than Neill did at RB.

For the sake of clarity I think we must have some comment from the Board and/or MH.

IMO Lucas is a fine player and excellent athlete, in his early years with us his positional awareness was naive, but he should NOT be dropped as he is one of our best defenders. But we need a more fitting skipper until the Admiral returns. I have been impressed when he has played centre half and with our current frailties in that area and Bert's fine form at RB I'd play Lucus there.

Does anyone disagree that his position as captain is untenable?

Lots of the usual knee jerk over-reactions on here.

Firstly we don't know the context of his comments. It's probable that as captain of Australia he was asked a (possibly loaded) question and had to answer it.

There is a long list of players who have quit Rovers and lied about their intentions - some at very short notice leaving the team in the lurch.

Lucas Neill's situation today is no different from his situation yesterday, or two months ago when his agent revealed he'd not be signing another contract at Rovers. He intends to move somewhere else and is being open and honest about it when asked the question.

Meanwhile he's doing an awesome job on the pitch. Mark Hughes, Mark Bowen and co and his teammates think he's a damn good choice for captain. Until they decide any different, that's good enough for me.

He's playing well, so I'd be inclined to keep him in the side (so that we get a fee for him in Jan, or better still swap hyim for Warnock) but I'd now definitely take the captaincy away from him. It's the highest honour you can have to captain your club or country and he's basically saying he's not bothered about it.

Swap him for Warnock and everyone is happy!

Meanwhile he's doing an awesome job on the pitch. Mark Hughes, Mark Bowen and co and his teammates think he's a damn good choice for captain. Until they decide any different, that's good enough for me.

If lucas neil had made it very plain to the management and players that he is definiely leaving, yet was still given the captaincy - I wouold have to respect MH's judgement.

We will now find out whether he was totally honest with MH. If not, I bet you a tenner Tris that he won't be captain for the next match!

Incidentally, a number of posters have referred to Lucas Neill as club captain.

Although he's had the armband on the field recently, unless I've missed something the honour of being club captain still lies with Andy "I'm going stale here please find me a move" Todd.

Have seen Andy Taylor play and, while I'd admit that he shows promise, the occasional run out for the reserves ( and there aren't that many reserve games) against reserve and youth team strikers does not tell you whether a player will cut it in the Prem. He looks too lightweight to me still and until he grows and bulks up I can't see him being a first team defender. It would be grossly unfair on the lad to throw him in at the deep end unless we had to.

I agree totally with what you are saying - though I wouldn't drop him - we need him playing out of his skin to attract suitable bids for his services in January. However - I would look to start playing Taylor in lower profile games (e.g. Worthy Cup & UEFA Cup if we can get a few wins under our belt quickly) - so he can hopefully slot in.

Also, lets not forget Gray - who did a reaonable job last year.

Ultimately - Neill has been replaced by Bert - who IMO (at the moment) is actually doing as good, if not better job than Neill did at RB.

Bert is pretty fast; wonder if he could play both full back positions at once?

OK I've already got me coat! :wstu:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.