SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

The Convicts Return

Timmy

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed but he wasn't the only one to drop catches and he did bat better than most of the others. I still think he's the best choice for wicket keeper. I do feels sorry for Simon Jones though he bowled quite well actually and didnt get the suppot needed from the fielders.

Were not out of the game yet though!

I agree others did drop them but the wicket keeper can't afford to drop them for me.

We are still in this game of that there is no doubt however it will be tough. The openers have done great but to think they have seen off McGrath & Lee only for Warne to come on must be gutting. Incidentally are they appealing off every ball because they think they must get one eventually.

Edited by Manchester Blue

To be fair though the last appeal for LBW was absolutely plumb.

334415[/snapback]

True but by over-appealing for ones that were never out I would think it would annoy the umpires and work against you. Still when you can bowl like that it doesn't matter. I just thought that over-appealing was now frowned upon and as Ponting is on a crusade to clean up the game maybe they would cut it out.

I agree with ManchesterBlue.

The wicket keeper must take some of the blame, as well as Pietersen.

However, Jones was at fault not just for taking catches to get someone out, but generally his taking wasn't brilliant.

As they say, catches win matches.

30 minutes of play and rain the rest of the time would do me just fine at this point. Poor batting and dropped catches have put England in this situation, unless Jones and Pietersen can do something amazing there's no getting out of it. Who's to say they won't both score hundreds though and this will be the sweetest of all victories? Well...I won't be betting on it.

Marvellous win by the goodies against the baddies.

This is the worst Australia touring team ever.

325178[/snapback]

To the matron of Oakside Nursing Home,

I believe you have a resident of your esteemed establishment.

His name is Jim Mk2 and I believe his previous occupation was of a journalistic nature.

I believe he flits between lucid, rational states and at other times, sadly, quite irrational pre demential states.

Should you catch him in one of his more lucid moments could you ask him a question?

Is this the worst Australia touring team ever?

Yours in anticipation.

A resident of a former convict colony.

can't understand that none of the English batsman picked Warne, apart from Pietersen.

they must have seen enough of him over these years.

middle order really concerns me, if the openers fail and with Vaughan not getting any runs the middle order looke very flaky.

I think the selectors got it wrong, Thorpe should have been picked instead of Bell, at least it would have given some backbone to the middle order.

This test has perfectly highlighted the reasons why England needed Thorpe. I have no doubt that in the first innings when wickets were falling he simply would have shut up shop, meaning that he and Pietersen and Jones could have put on more runs with recognised batsmen in and got closer to the Austrlian total, if not passed it. It cannot be forgotten that in the field he is an excellent catcher, of course the odd drop but on the whole one of the best. While in the second innings, after a good start, runs on the board and going a a good rate him pushing the ball around for singles and not getting out is exactly what England needed. Unfortunately it's too late to go back, but I think England were caught up in this new generation of players and forgot the need for both age and experience as well as one of the players who played such a major role in England's rise to power, albeit without taking any of the glory.

The problem with Thorpe is that whilst he is clearly a very good player, he has let the selectors down before and had already ruled himself out of this winter's tours. Taking that into account it was probably too good an opportunity to not drop him. Still a shame as he could have been crucial.

Well I would have had Thorpe instead of Bell, though would have picked all three for the squads. They are of a similar style, and though I'm sure Bell will make a great player he doesn't yet have the experience that is sometimes needed.

Is Pieterson the only one who can bat?

Jeez, it rains all bloody day and we still lose.

334616[/snapback]

Tresco can and to some extent it seems strauss can!

Think bell would have been ok if he hadn't been unlucky with the ball not spinning as it should have!

Kev is looking very good in the middle seems confident against all the bowlers!

The groundsman should stick all the covers on so it takes them 30mins to get them off again wink.gif Good old british weather!

Rain Dance! tongue.gif

damn there back on! thumbs-up.gif

Edited by modes98

Well played Australia. I'd say England probably only were the better in three sessions, first two of the match and then the last on day two, simply not good enough. The batting was awful, wickets were thrown away almost and major technical errors made. The bowling was decent, but it wasn't supported well enough by the fielding, probably accounting for an extra 100-120 Australian runs, in other words the difference between having a real chance in the second innings rather than simply hoping to bat out time.

I agree that we contributed to our own downfall to a certain extent but congrats to the Aussies for a very good display. Our batsmen need to have a look at themselves, Giles should be worried because on that performance i'd prefer Collingwood by a mile and Jones was rubbish. No need to panic yet but pretty disappointing all round really.

The big positive was Pietersen who just oozes class apart from his catching of course.

Basically Giles has shown that, against this Australia side at least, unless it's a pitch where you NEED a spinner there's no reason to have him in the side, even then I might prefer it if other more attacking spinners were looked at.

hmmmmmm  the weather matches my current mood

334630[/snapback]

Well it's sunny here!

Let's just hope the test series follows the same pattern as the one dayers, we one the first match there and look what happened.

Edited by Eddie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.