BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Poll - Falling Attendances.

Tris

What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?  

254 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think is the biggest contributing factor in the alarming decrease in our crowds?

• Overprice tickets
    • Poor standard of entertainment
    • Lack of atmosphere these days
    • Petty stewards
    • No terracing
    • Unable to identify with players these days
    • Too much football on TV

This poll is closed to new votes

33,000 in the stadium of light tonight, against the worlds other greatly supported club Man City.

Last time the mackems came up, they were getting 45000-48000 gates at every home game.

They're down 12000 to 15000 on that figure.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the Mackems are being realistic- they know Sunderland are headed on a one way ticket.

What would our support be if we imploded and lost 15 on the trot the way Sunderland did last time in the Prem?

The pointer to their attendances being down was the way they failed to get the crowds back when they were winning the Coca Cola.

Probably........ and quite justifiably too if the club were buying and paying the likes of Duff/Robben/ Lampard / Cech / Terry etc for our benefit. 

Might have left the family at home though! wink.gif

341245[/snapback]

Which is why I said No, the rule in our house is "one goes, all go" so I'd be looking at £200+. Aside from that I'm nt sure I would pay £48-£60 om a regular basis, only evr paid that price for cup or semi-finals before.

Theno could you really justify £60 for a game for a season, I think not?

According to the Poll, the top 3 reasons are:

Quality of entertainment

Overpriced Tickets

Too much football on TV

Which leads to:

"Why pay good money to watch cr*p, when you can stay at home and see at least 138 live games on Sky for less than two pounds a week?"

tongue.gif

Which is why I said No, the rule in our house is "one goes, all go" so I'd be looking at £200+. Aside from that I'm nt sure I would pay £48-£60 om a regular basis, only evr paid that price for cup or semi-finals before.

Theno could you really justify £60 for a game for a season, I think not?

341298[/snapback]

I bet I do now Paul. Lets apply a bit of lateral thinking. (Rem this is to watch the top team in the country if not Europe) Over the course of a season and taking into account petrol, away trips and after match beer money I spend a fair bit in invisibles. Give up the away tickets and about a gallon after the game, taxi home etc and I would say yes. Take the Prem down to fewer clubs and the sums begin to stack up a bit.

My kids pay small fortunes to go and watch spotty faced and largely talentless pop stars, the cost of watching 'proper' 5 star entertainers is frightening. Yet I know what I'd rather spend my hard earned on.

spuds apparently have sold their 3000 allocation for the game at ewood 2night and have been given 1000 more tickets as there is a big request.

if we had just over 26,000 of us blackburn fans there at the game 2night which i dont see many pigs in the air right now we may have had an all ticket!! ph34r.gif

I can't believe too much football on TV is a real reason why people stay away, Rovers must get about 10 hrs tv time a season Max, mainly on sky. Are people really staying away from games to watch Man Utd and Chelsea in the CL? I will watch a game if its on and i'm bored, but i can't actually say i would miss anything for it.

Edited by andy82

I can't believe too much football on TV is a real reason why people stay away, Rovers must get about 10 hrs tv time a season Max, mainly on sky. Are people really staying away from games to watch Man Utd and Chelsea in the CL? I will watch a game if its on and i'm bored, but i can't actually say i would miss anything for it.

341348[/snapback]

I think quite a few casual supporters will stay away due to footie on tv.

I'm sure someone could look into it to confirm, but I'm fairly certain that since two televised matches on a Saturday has become the norm, rather than the exception, that crowd figure declines have generally accelerated for most teams.

For those interested in footie and not a devoted supporter of a specific team, if given the choice between watching a couple of matches in the comfort of their own home on a Saturday for a couple of quid - and this covers all the family - or going to a ground and spending maybe 40x times as much, then there is only likely to be one winner.

Is tonights match on TV? I'm sure it was ear-marked when the fixtures came out. If so the gate will be crap again.

I cant see it being on the box because of European matches.

I think quite a few casual supporters will stay away due to footie on tv. 

I'm sure someone could look into it to confirm,  but I'm fairly certain that since two televised matches on a Saturday has become the norm, rather than the exception, that crowd figure declines have generally accelerated for most teams.

For those interested in footie and not a devoted supporter of a specific team, if given the choice between watching a couple of matches in the comfort of their own home on a Saturday for a couple of quid - and this covers all the family - or going to a ground and spending maybe 40x times as much, then there is only likely to be one winner.

341378[/snapback]

I don't disagree, although i put the declining audiences down to the times of those games - esp the lunchtime kick off, and the continuing rises in price, rather than because they are on the box. I don't think anyone will stay away from Ewood purely to watch another team on TV, unless its a massive game - ie Liverpool in the CL final.

As for people that have an interest in footie but don't follow a team, thats bullcrap - they don't have an interest in footie, they think they do because the tabloids tell them they are gay or unpatriotic if theres an England match on and they arent in their local 'fun pub' sipping Stella all night.

Imo live football and televised football are two totally different things for the fans - unfortunately the PL and Government don't see this and try their hardest to merge the two pastimes into one, media friendly,consumerist, lame piece of crap.

However i reckon attendances will soon pick up when they introduce executions at half time. Firing squad for bringing in your own drinks, Guillotine for daring to stand up and electric chair for anyone who tries to create an atmosphere.

I dont think we would get 4,000 fans going to Tottenham on a wednesday in August. Even allowing for the London factor, certain clubs and Tottenham are one can rely on great support. We do not have that history of fanatical support and the team has to do well on a consistent basis for the town to respond. Lets hope Hughes can do it.

As for people that have an interest in footie but don't follow a team, thats bullcrap - they don't have an interest in footie, they think they do because the tabloids tell them they are gay or unpatriotic if theres an England match on and they arent in their local 'fun pub' sipping Stella all night.

341414[/snapback]

Must say I think that is pretty wide of the mark.

There are far more casual fans who do have an interest in football but don't nail their allegiance solely to one club than 'thoroughbreds' (or in our neighbours case, inbreds). Yes, they probably have a favourite team but don't buy the season ticket, the replica shirt, the mousemat etc.

Then there are those who do follow one team closely but are quite happy to go along to another team when they aren't doing anything else. For example, in the past I've been to watch Rochdale, Preston, Huddersfield and even Chorley when I've fancied a match and Rovers aren't an option.

Now, I will admit that if Rovers aren't playing or it's an away match I'm not going to, I will tend to stay at home and watch tv matches than get off my backside and pay far more money for a live match.

Must say I think that is pretty wide of the mark.

There are far more casual fans who do have an interest in football but don't nail their allegiance solely to one club than 'thoroughbreds' (or in our neighbours case, inbreds).  Yes, they probably have a favourite team but don't buy the season ticket, the replica shirt, the mousemat etc.

Then there are those who do follow one team closely but are quite happy to go along to another team when they aren't doing anything else.  For example, in the past I've been to watch Rochdale, Preston, Huddersfield and even Chorley when I've fancied a match and Rovers aren't an option.

Now, I will admit that if Rovers aren't playing or it's an away match I'm not going to, I will tend to stay at home and watch tv matches than get off my backside and pay far more money for a live match.

341445[/snapback]

If they don't buy the replica shirt, go to the games etc then imo they arent football fans. They are pub fans. And as long as the media is backing the big teams and England in the way they do then that is how the sport will progress. Our attendances arent smaller because there are more premiership games on tv, its because the only ones that are cared about are the ones the media hypes. Which don't include clubs like Rovers. Briefly, 10 years ago, it did.

Two years ago there were around 800 people overflowing the student bar in my old halls to watch the games involving Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea against each other. If a Man Utd or Chelsea vs some other prem side game was on then there wouldn't be 80 in there. Youd ask the same people who'd been cheering on their team the week before where they were and they wouldnt even know what you were on about.Same last year in the bars of Headingley. These people arent suddenly going to go and watch Leeds Utd next week if every Sky satellite is destroyed by daleks - I doubt its any different the other side of the pennines.

I dont think we would get 4,000 fans going to Tottenham on a wednesday in August. Even allowing for the London factor, certain clubs and Tottenham are one can rely on great support. We do not have that history of fanatical support and the team has to do well on a consistent basis for the town to respond. Lets hope Hughes can do it.

341426[/snapback]

I wish people would stop confusing having a 'fanatical' support base with having as large fanbase. Most Rovers fans that go down now, who went down in the 70s and 80s and before are 'fanatical'.

I havent missed a game home or away for years, neither have a lot of others I know. I refuse to believe that TOTTENHAM!!!! fans have more passion for their club than I have for mine, they just have more. Same with Newcastle, the club isnt mentioned without referring to the 'unbelievable' support, 'football is life up there' etc etc etc, if booing your team off every week is being fanatical then let them have it.

We are founder members of both Football and Premier Leagues, in the most competitive region in the country for clubs, we still get around 20k home fans each week, in a deprived, divided small town. Blackburn is a passionate football town, why don't we revel in the only thing our town has got going for it and cherish it instead of adding to the negative image that the club has had for a decade now (currently at record levels). If I am being one eyed so be it, I must be over fanatical.

Edited by Mattyblue

Why the bounce back last nite? Assuming Spurs bought 4000; Asuuming Fulham bought 0 (which acknowledged is not spot on).

Rough maths gives an extra 2000 Rovers on the park. Benidorm must have been packed at the weekend......

Do we have 2000 fans who only come if were winning? Thats a concern.

I wish people would stop confusing having a 'fanatical' support base with having as large fanbase. Most Rovers fans that go down now, who went down in the 70s and 80s and before are 'fanatical'.

I havent missed a game home or away for years, neither have a lot of others I know. I refuse to believe that TOTTENHAM!!!! fans have more passion for their club than I have for mine, they just have more. Same with Newcastle, the club isnt mentioned without referring to the 'unbelievable' support, 'football is life up there' etc etc etc, if booing your team off every week is being fanatical then let them have it.

We are founder members of both Football and Premier Leagues, in the most competitive region in the country for clubs, we still get around 20k home fans each week, in a deprived, divided small town. Blackburn is a passionate football town, why don't we revel in the only thing our town has got going for it and cherish it instead of adding to the negative image that the club has had for a decade now (currently at record levels). If I am being one eyed so be it, I must be over fanatical.

341846[/snapback]

Totally agree, except for. Blackburn is a passionate football town,

It's not the population of the town of Blackburn, thats fanatical it's the clubs supporters. A lot of the Rovers supporters that I know live way outside the town of Blackburn. You only have to look at the membership of this site alone to see a large per centage of those that attend Ewood on a regular bases dont live in Blackburn.

Whilst the fanatics, who have followed the club since the 70's 80's 90's will make the effort to attend games at every opportunity, if the club are to increase attendances they have to provide a value for money entertaining package for the "want-to-be" supporter from the larger catchment area than Blackburn itself.

Ok those want-to-be supporters may be glory hunters, but the cash in their pocket is no different that the cash in a rovers fanatics pocket. Until you get them through the Ewood turnstyle, that money can easily be spent at any other football club.

And that also comes back to Modi's arguement, if those want-to-be supporters arent affiliated to any specific club, and dont experience the atmosphere of a live game, they are going to accept that watching football on the box as the norm. And at a considerably cheeper price, without the discomfort of travelling, weather etc.

Why the bounce back last nite? Assuming Spurs bought 4000; Asuuming Fulham bought 0 (which acknowledged is not spot on).

Rough maths gives an extra 2000 Rovers on the park. Benidorm must have been packed at the weekend......

Do we have 2000 fans who only come if were winning? Thats a concern.

341863[/snapback]

rover.gif i think it's more the case if you can afford one match a week,you would rather see davids,defoe,carrick warm up on the touch line,than malbranque-jensen-mcbride and 2 super goals from the blues. tinykit.gif

rover.gif juniors playing in a competition tomorrow so i won't be going to villa,the game is being shown in numerous pubs around blackburn,so hopefully they won't make the finals withstupid.gif i bring this point up as it would have cost me £100 for the day,and surely if some off our die-hards missed say this game,we could as a web-site start a fund to purchase season -tickets for the less fortunate tinykit.gif

Talking to a South Shields based Geordie today who tells me Newcastle have (as yet) failed to sell out for the visit of Man Utd. Probably down to the Souness factor rather than the general trend we are starting to witness, but even so this would have been unthinkable prior to Souness taking charge.

Interestingly he tells me Gateshead now has a population similar to Newcastle ie, 280,000 and if you add to that North Shields, South Shields, Wallsend, Blaydon, Ashington, Morpeth, Durham etc etc etc it shows what we are up against. Only competition other than the Mackems is Boro 40 miles to the south and Hearts/Hibs 85 miles to the north.

rover.gif juniors playing in a competition tomorrow so i won't be going to villa,the game is being shown in numerous pubs around blackburn,so hopefully they won't make the finals withstupid.gif i bring this point up as it would have cost me £100 for the day,and surely if some off our die-hards missed say this game,we could as a web-site start a fund to purchase season -tickets for the less fortunate tinykit.gif

341982[/snapback]

I went to the Horden's before and after the Spurs game. It was full with many Rovers fans in the front room watching Rovers on the big screen rather than go and watch it live 2 miles down the road. Who can blame them. Also Howard Kendall was on at the Hordens later that evening although he was p****d as usual and made no sense.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.