BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

New Games/General Gaming

• Backroom
Posted (edited)

Decided to purchase the PSVR2 as it was recently on sale at a heavily discounted price. I originally got a PS5 last year expecting to get the PSVR2 to go with it, as I really enjoyed the original PSVR. Was pretty disappointed with the utter lack of backward compatibility, but what can you do. In fairness the design is totally different to the original PSVR, so that makes backwards compatibility hugely difficult. Basically means the developers would need to redevelop the game and rerelease on PS5 to a very small and niche audience. Highly unlikely to be worth the effort. Some of the studios don't even exist anymore. Ultimately didn't grab the PSVR2 immediately due to lack of games and high price, but the price reduction makes it a much more enticing purchase.

Also, Sony have coincided the PSVR2 price drop with PC (Steam VR) compatibility, which is great. Although currently I'd only potentially be able to run it on my laptop, if it's compatible. It has an RTX 2070 - desktop versions of this GPU all support VirtualLink, a failed standard which was phased out in 2020. PSVR2 headset uses VirtualLink natively though, so if the laptop RTX 2070 supports VirtualLink that would be grand. Impossible to know if the laptop version of this GPU will support VL. It does have a Mini DisplayPort though, so assuming it's at least 1.4 then I should be able to use an adapter to connect the headset. 

Realistically to get the best of the headset it'll be a new PC with at least a RTX 4070 GPU. My current PC is now 7 years old so it's probably about time to upgrade anyway. The old GTX 1070 has done an admirable job. Expensive as hell to upgrade these days though :') 

Edited by DE.