BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Do You Approve Of The New Manager?

den

Paul Ince.  

580 members have voted

1. 1. Your views on the Paul Ince appointment?

• Devastated
    • Completely underwhelmed
    • Not sure, but initial feeling is disappointment
    • Prepared to wait and see
    • Might be good
    • Should work out OK
    • Very optimistic
    • Top man

Majiball,

We've got Emerton, Reid, Nelsen, Ooijer, Samba, Zura, Warnock, Olssen, Dunn, Vogel, Tugay, Axe (oh lawks) and MGP which with the exception of Bentley and Savage (who in reality was a busted flush after his leg break) are the same forces that were in the defence and midfield that propelled us to 7th last season.

We are adding Simpson and Villanueva whilst Judge and Kane are seemingly now in contention as well. That is 17 players in genuine competition for 8 places.

We don't need four more average players, we need one, two if we are lucky, outstanding players.

If we replace Bentley as inadequately as Souness replaced Bentley, we will be in trouble. The lesson has to be to invest in a very few but very high quality.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we replace Bentley as inadequately as Souness replaced Bentley, we will be in trouble. The lesson has to be to invest in a very few but very high quality.

Mark Hughes.... I don't want to but squad players. I only want to bring players in who will command a place in the team.

Tonyoz posted that in the Friendlies thread.

OK, I didn't hear the interview but Ince comes over as clueless.

The guy is supposed to have played for the Mancs, Inter and Liverpool and is whingeing about tracking players worldwide whereas Sparky instantly had players from obscure corners he could call upon.

Doesn't know how much he has to spend?

He has only been at Rovers for what, four weeks now. It seems it is harder for him to chat with John Williams than any ordinary Rovers supporter.

Freshen up with two players or three or four????

Rovers don't need quantity- we've got that in most positions already. We are desperately short of quality now Bentley has gone.

Things must be bad.....

Majiball,

We've got Emerton, Reid, Nelsen, Ooijer, Samba, Zura, Warnock, Olssen, Dunn, Vogel, Tugay, Axe (oh lawks) and MGP which with the exception of Bentley and Savage (who in reality was a busted flush after his leg break) are the same forces that were in the defence and midfield that propelled us to 7th last season.

We are adding Simpson and Villanueva whilst Judge and Kane are seemingly now in contention as well. That is 17 players in genuine competition for 8 places.

We don't need four more average players, we need one, two if we are lucky, outstanding players.

Ok,

Ok I look at it differently, its all well and good saying we have 17 players competing for 8 positions, but can they play in the positions required, no. We have no right back Emerton is not the answer, we have no defensive midfielder Mokoena is awful Vogel can play there but he does lack the steel and tackling qualities that really are required. Pineapple could be a great buy, but he's gonna need months to adapt to everything and of course we need to replace Bentley. Simpson has potential but is he ready, probably not. Out of those 17 who's MGP's back up, who's the back up to Emerton on the right wing??? No balance, look at the top teams 2 players for each position we may have the numbers but we do not have the positions covered. If your first choice left winger gets injured you want his under study to come in, you don't want to have to move players around it upsets the teams cohesion.

Our squad is unbalanced we lack players who can play in their natural positions we are forcing square pegs in round holes.

And who says that we can't sign quality with all this money we have to spend Palacios, Valencia cost peanuts look at them now. Quality is out there you have to find it and it can be cheap. I would be looking to shift on a couple of the ones you have mentioned anyways (don't ask).

Ince could do worse than what Bruce did last year, pick up the phone and call Wenger and say we made you 7M I need some players have you scouted any who where not quite up to your level but would benefit Rovers.

we've lost ALL our staff every single one, gone, we have been royally screwed. The whole team is settling in starting from scratch, we will be 6-7 months behind the other teams, they will have been planning for this window from the close of the last one.

Ince if he's gonna succeed needs to stamp his own image on the club and that means changes you can't have players going Hughes wouldn't have done that, it undermines him, and he will fail then. Ince needs new faces to combate this effect. With this money we have from all the sales we finally have the oppurtunity to balance the squad 2GK 2RB 2LB 4CB and so on depending on how we play, I hope ince takes the oppurtunity to do it.

PS Judge and Kane are not ready, loan em out.

There is a difference between giving good radio interviews and being a good Manager and I said I had not heard the interview.

What Ince achieved at Macclesfield and MK Dons was nothing short of amazing.

Having played at Mancs, Inter and Liverpool, managing Rovers should not be taking him and his team into nosebleed territory but he's giving a good outwards impression of being out of his depth and the EPL and Rovers players could well be sensing that making Ince's task far more difficult than it should be.

I wish I were hearing about use of prozone, modern training techniques, high performance sports science and the like. What we are seeing does not match the promise John Williams spoke of when he brought Ince in. Instead Ince is doing a good impression of a fourth division manager who is out of his depth.

However, I am not in the school of looking for every scrap of potential concern or bad news as self-serving justification for doomsday unlike you JAL. You obviously enjoy having a good slag off as we all remember your absurd campaign against David Dunn.

Dunns crap philipl, so are a few others, but my concerns are as are yours about Rovers, currently growing, i'm sure the board and the trust are very concerned at this moment in time, very concerned, winning football matches is what its all about and we Rovers seem to be moving further away from that goal.

Only good quality players are going to save Paul Ince at this moment in time and with the board quite reluctant to throw Paul Ince some cash the situation isnt looking good far from it.

I might not come across in the right way for some, but i feel i need to voice my concerns.

Dunns crap philipl, so are a few others, but my concerns are as are yours about Rovers, currently growing, i'm sure the board and the trust are very concerned at this moment in time, very concerned, winning football matches is what its all about and we Rovers seem to be moving further away from that goal.

Only good quality players are going to save Paul Ince at this moment in time and with the board quite reluctant to throw Paul Ince some cash the situation isnt looking good far from it.

I might not come across in the right way for some, but i feel i need to voice my concerns.

JAL, you really do have a problem with Dunn. Dunn got more MOTM wins on here and more votes for MOTM than most players last season apart from Bentley, Santa and Friedel. The vast majority of people on here watch Rovers most of the time. They see him week in, week out and know that for all his limitations he's not 'crap'. Your tirades every other post are a joke.

Is he a top 7 player? Probably not, but he's certainly Premiership class and last year was better than Mokoana, Reid, Pedersen, Vogel and practically everyone else who played midfield bar Bentley. I doubt you will find one other member who will say that Dunn was one of our worst midfielders last year bar you.

For some reason you carry this childish,ridiculous tirade against Dunn, always looking for the little faults and always brushing aside the positives.

Why don't you slag every player who is worse than Dunn off with the venom that you criticise him? At least then you'd come across as being fair and balanced?

All summer Ive been trying to put my finger on just why this appointment just doesnt quite sit right with me. The conclusion Ive reached is that Ince comes across as a man who if the tag 'out of his depth' is a tad strong, certainly the sheer magnitude of the Premier League has shocked him to his core.

Souness from the start came across as a supremely confident and arrogant individual, but it was what the club needed at the time after a dreadful and quick decline.

Hughes' sheer professionalism and attention to detail was apparent to everyone from day one, again needed after the stagnation of the final period of the Souness era. It was obvious how much the players and the wider game respected him.

Yes its bloody early days and the total panic that has broken out is premature. But do we think Ince either has the bombastic character of Souness or the aura of Hughes? In the Premier League, a manager needs that little bit extra to stay one step ahead of self serving and pampered players and I do have serious reservations.

JAL, you really do have a problem with Dunn. Dunn got more MOTM wins on here and more votes for MOTM than most players last season apart from Bentley, Santa and Friedel. The vast majority of people on here watch Rovers most of the time. They see him week in, week out and know that for all his limitations he's not 'crap'. Your tirades every other post are a joke.

Is he a top 7 player? Probably not, but he's certainly Premiership class and last year was better than Mokoana, Reid, Pedersen, Vogel and practically everyone else who played midfield bar Bentley. I doubt you will find one other member who will say that Dunn was one of our worst midfielders last year bar you.

For some reason you carry this childish,ridiculous tirade against Dunn, always looking for the little faults and always brushing aside the positives.

Why don't you slag every player who is worse than Dunn off with the venom that you criticise him? At least then you'd come across as being fair and balanced?

Didnt realise it came across that way Hasta, but i do take your point, i think its a weakness of mine in my reaction to someone saying someone is wonderful football wise when i totally disagree with them obviously i need to polish up on my communication skills.

The summary of the Radio 5 Ince interview needs to be clarified. I wrote it quickly in response to a request from another board member. This is what I wrote:

"still 2 weeks to go.

Robinson played well....even if score says otherwise.

Biggest difference with MK job............he has to monitor players from all over the world and time is short to get to know who is available.

Meeting with chairman next week to decide how much he can spend and where he's going to spend it.

Said he needed a couple of players and later said he needed to bring in 3 or 4 to freshen things up.

Refused to admit that Pennant was a target."

Ince is not the most articulate interviewee but he did OK.

He said that none of the goals were Robinson's fault but that the media would likely pick up on it again. He criticised the defence.........not just the back 4 but the whole team were to blame......not Robinson.

He was making the point that he knew the players in the lower leagues inside out because he had been monitoring them with a view to strenghtening MK Dons. Now he has to cast his net much wider and time has been short.

He was asked specifically about how much of the Bentley money he would get to spend.............hence the chairman comment. He may have said that he had his eye on 1 or 2 players at this point.

The need for 3 or 4 fresh faces came towards the end and did not sound contradictory when taken in context.

He was asked a couple of times about Pennant but he was non-commital.........he agreed that he was a good player but that he was looking at several prospects.

Also mentioned a couple of triallists.

This may not be a perfect recollection but I hope it helps.

Meeting with chairman next week to decide how much he can spend and where he's going to spend it.

Must say I find this comment very odd. They must have been 90% sure that Bentley was away for weeks. The likely fee would also have been known, so the size of the transfer budget shoul have been crystal clear. There have been umpteen people involved in assessing incoming players, now with days to the start of the new season the manager and chairman have a meeting to discuss the above.

It all seems a bit chaotic and miles away from Rovers usual slick operation.

Must say I find this comment very odd. They must have been 90% sure that Bentley was away for weeks. The likely fee would also have been known, so the size of the transfer budget shoul have been crystal clear. There have been umpteen people involved in assessing incoming players, now with days to the start of the new season the manager and chairman have a meeting to discuss the above.

It all seems a bit chaotic and miles away from Rovers usual slick operation.

If Ince had said "We know exactly who we want, and now that Bentley has been sold I have xyz to spend..." we would have seriously compromised our position in the market. As you correctly say, they MUST have been sure Bentley was away etc, etc, the transfer budget probably IS crystal clear, but why give away any advantage?

We need to stop taking everything the manager says as gospel, I think Ince is a little bit smarter than some of us would like to think...

And you know this how ?

I am sorry - I didn't realise you had JW's phone number.

The only pieces of info I have heard :-

1. Nicko - Ince seems to be lining up some quality players (though I think Nicko is concerned about the Castillo situation).

2. Robinson - expressed his approval of the signings that Ince was trying to line up.

I really can't believe how negative you are. I haven't got my head in the sand - I am concerns - I think Ince is struggle to find his feet - but I think most incoming managers would struggle given the Friedel and Bentley saga's. Just give the guy a chance.

We need to stop taking everything the manager says as gospel, I think Ince is a little bit smarter than some of us would like to think...

:lol: What a statement that is! Considered response and avoiding tricky questions is the way forward, not telling lies to the supporters!

btw Sorry but I think my 2 goldfish have a greater combined IQ.

not telling lies to the supporters!

Go on then Gordon enlighten us!

The only thing I can remember is PI saying I would like to keep all my best players.

At no stage to the best of my recollection has he ever said "X,y, or z is definitely staying etc."

But no doubt you'll provide the relevant quote!.

P.S. I'd be having a field day with you on here if I was Paul Ince's libel lawyer!

Kerchiinngg! Like a daily cash cow!

;)

Go on then Gordon enlighten us!

The only thing I can remember is PI saying I would like to keep all my best players.

At no stage to the best of my recollection has he ever said "X,y, or z is definitely staying etc."

But no doubt you'll provide the relevant quote!.

P.S. I'd be having a field day with you on here if I was Paul Ince's libel lawyer!

Kerchiinngg! Like a daily cash cow!

He'll be back in a minute- the goldfish are just researching the relevant quote for him!

:lol: What a statement that is! Considered response and avoiding tricky questions is the way forward, not telling lies to the supporters!

btw Sorry but I think my 2 goldfish have a greater combined IQ.

I would love to know what lies he has told incidentally.

How is life in the goldfish bowl, anyway? Maybe it is time to join the real world?

You three have been in the knife drawer! Have neither of you slept all that well after yesterdays display? :rolleyes:

BUT Guys please keep my quote in context. I was suggesting that telling lies is NOT the way forward in responce to Darth Paul suggestion that it's OK for Paul Ince to openly tell lies. Quote Darth paul "We need to stop taking everything the manager says as gospel".

I suggest that you all read both posts again.... and this time a little slower. ^_^

It is interesting how you interpreted my comments.

Not sure where I referred to Ince "openly telling lies", but if you think that a complete open book policy on our transfers is the way to go forward, rather than avoiding directly answering questions to the press then I find it an admirable viewpoint and I would be all for it, if only every other club in the world signed up to the agreement also.

Meanwhile, back on earth, might I suggest that alluding to Ince being a liar because he won't give the press a straight answer is just plain madness.

I would love to know what you would tell a five year old if they asked if Santa was real, given that you hold such a moral highground on truth telling...

I would love to know what you would tell a five year old if they asked if Santa was real, given that you hold such a moral highground on truth telling...

I'd tell them he's real - and he's not for sale!

He is coming in tomorrow, Danny Simpson.

According to the reports he looked world-class yesterday against Espanyol and Riera.

I am curious as to why he was allowed to play yesterday if he's coming tomorrow.

Not doubting that he's coming in, just wondering the rationale behind him playing if he's leaving 2 days later.

Archived