BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Do You Approve Of The New Manager?

den

Paul Ince.  

580 members have voted

1. 1. Your views on the Paul Ince appointment?

• Devastated
    • Completely underwhelmed
    • Not sure, but initial feeling is disappointment
    • Prepared to wait and see
    • Might be good
    • Should work out OK
    • Very optimistic
    • Top man

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Help i'm losing sleep, i've said before i had a bad feeling about Ince, couldn't stand him as a player, not the Robbie Savage way either just thought he was a complete mug. Can anyone say they wanted him as manager? i can see the poll above but the feeling i got from talking to fellow rovers and reading the board was just anyone but BFS, The club moved so far forward under Hughes now i can't help but feel that in a matter of weeks Ince has blown that away. We can't compete financially so the coaching methods and prep has to A Standard, We've got League 2 staff and i think it's a disgrace that John Williams didn't see this coming. I'm sure there will be people going mad at this post but it's my opinion. I'll get behind the manager and the team always but i'm not convinced at all. I hope more than anything i'm wrong i'll be delighted to be wrong.

Trawled through umpteen pages of articles by Ladyman and came across just one that was really Rovers related.

A piece that basically said Hughes was mad for staying and not going to Newcastle.

I guess he doesn't like us. So he's either a Manc, a Spud or an 'Ammer.

This could easily have stemmed from a few posts on here. There was on unsourced coat in the article - it could all be complete nonsense.

We are trying to get players in at the moment. Stories like this could utterly wreck our chances.

Wake up and smell the coffee joey.

Trawled through umpteen pages of articles by Ladyman and came across just one that was really Rovers related.

A piece that basically said Hughes was mad for staying and not going to Newcastle.

I guess he doesn't like us. So he's either a Manc, a Spud or an 'Ammer.

I'm sure nicko said hes a scouser.

Anyone who thinks that the things said on message boards are going to impact potential signings has a seriously misplaced sense of his own influence.

Big players will not come to Rovers unless they have a good reason: money, exemplary management, an opportunity for first-team football that no one else will give them, perhaps a European berth. There's no pool of world football superstars wavering on whether to sign with Blackburn as a result of fickle (or realistic?) supporters.

Whether or not the supporters back Ince right now makes little difference. If Rovers win, people will come around (players, media, and supporters). If we're crap, a bunch of people will be there saying "I told you we could never win with a League Two manager and backroom staff!" Who cares?

For me, I'm a bit nervous about the rumors. I can't say that I have a tremendous amount of confidence in a man who has little experience managing players at this level -- one could say that Hughes was the same, but he'd had experience with Wales. There's also the Keane parallel, but let's be serious: Sunderland were a Championship club without a Premiership player on the books. It's a bit easier to come in and be the big boss in a situation like that.

While I'm trying to have faith that the board has made the right decision, if things go badly now, they could go very badly.

''Bentley is believed to have shown dissent in his last days at Rovers, walking off in disgust when a trainer ordered him to do 20 press-ups as punishment for having his arms folded.

One senior player said: 'We've gone from a well-organised, well-drilled back-room staff to one that feels like it's been patched together. A lot of us wanted to give him a chance to see how it worked out, but it's not looking too good.''

Whether paper talk or not we DONT need shyte like this being banded around....dreadful,dreadful stuff!

RIGHT ROYALLY FED UP :angry2:

''Bentley is believed to have shown dissent in his last days at Rovers, walking off in disgust when a trainer ordered him to do 20 press-ups as punishment for having his arms folded.

One senior player said: 'We've gone from a well-organised, well-drilled back-room staff to one that feels like it's been patched together. A lot of us wanted to give him a chance to see how it worked out, but it's not looking too good.''

Whether paper ralk or not we DONT need shyte like this being banded around....dreadful stuff!

Its out now and the club need to ACT, if the coaching staff arent up to it then they have to go, if Ince doesnt like he has to go aswell.

Its out now and the club need to ACT, if the coaching staff arent up to it then they have to go, if Ince doesnt like he has to go aswell.

Oh my god, I agree with JAL. I'm firmly of the opinion that in this case, where there's dissent between players and management, it's the management that has to go. The players are Premiership players. Ince is a 4th division manager and his numpties are worse- at least Ince was good as a player once.

I do believe this is true. I hope it's not, but everything that comes out of his mouth suggests that this is a VERY BAD appointment.

it disturbs me that we do so poorly in pre-season. worst of all is we let in a lot of goals. scary thing is we did that before robinson aswell.

Can't say we looked particularly defensively sound when Hughes was in charge either.

I am worried about the apparent problems - but to an extent they are to be expected given the change in playing style and training routine.

Unlike Jal - I am prepared to give Ince a chance. The reality is - we should have enough good players at the club to prevent a total collapse - but Ince does need to get things together this Saturday in front of the home fans :rover:

Oh my god, I agree with JAL. I'm firmly of the opinion that in this case, where there's dissent between players and management, it's the management that has to go. The players are Premiership players. Ince is a 4th division manager and his numpties are worse- at least Ince was good as a player once.

I do believe this is true. I hope it's not, but everything that comes out of his mouth suggests that this is a VERY BAD appointment.

Its a shame you and Jal aren't Man United fans - or the Ferguson era would never have got off the ground !

Amazing how people can have such a bad impression of a manager before a ball is even kicked. Its amazing,Nicko said he wanted to give the management a chance before publishing details of the supposed unrest - it would appear that some of our own fans aren't willing to give Ince the same courtesy.

I do wonder - if Ince had come straight in as manager, would you have felt any better ? It is amazing when many players are being called for not serving their apprenticeships that you call Ince for actually starting at the bottom and working his way up.

1) its the daily mail, more believable stories in a top shelf mag,

2) scientific approach worked bleed'in wonders for fat sam at newcastle,

3) hopefully ince learnt from fergie, if he finds out who's been bitching like a little girl he'll cut their nuts off!

4)laugh my arse off if the squealers where the likes of moko,roberts and mccantbebothered, cos they can "clear my throat" off

5) can this soddin season start already

if he finds out who's been bitching like a little girl he'll cut their nuts off!

I'd be interested to know the identity of the senior player who allegedly said: "We've gone from being a well-organised, well-drilled back-room staff to one that feels like it's been patched together. A lot of us wanted to give him a chance to see how it worked out, but it's not looking too good."

But at a time when our managerial team should be fully focused on preparing for the first match of the season against Everton, if Ince is sidetracked by spending his time trying to find out who is slagging him off, then it's not a good sign.

I did have concerns when Ince was appointed about his lack of coaching qualifications and indeed his lack of experience in terms of managing big-name players.

Although Mark Hughes didn't have any previous experience of managing another Premiership club before he took over at Rovers, the difference is that he had a UEFA Pro Licence under his belt and he had already managed some big-name Premiership players like Gary Speed, Ryan Giggs, Craig Bellamy and John Hartson at Wales.

It's also the case that the standard of opposition that Hughes came up against with Wales - when he had to face countries like Italy and Germany in International matches - was clearly vastly superior to the League Two teams like Dagenham & Redbridge, Morecambe, Mansfield and Accrington Stanley that Ince came up against during his spells in charge of Macclesfield and MK Dons.

There's a huge jump from the standard of teams like the ones I've mentioned in League Two and the teams in the Premiership.

We now have stories of alleged discontent and unhappiness among the Rovers players. I did wonder about Ince's reputation for being an arrogant egotist and whether this would sit easily with some of our players.

So far we've had an embarrassing press conference when Ince was unveiled as manager. He came across as nervous and inarticulate - hardly qualities likely to inspire our players, some of whom I dare say were hoping that the new manager to take over from Hughes would have had experience of working at a higher level than League Two. Ince has since come across as rather tetchy as well as inarticulate, sneering to a TV interviewer on July 14th after our friendly game against Macclesfield: "There is no interest from me in Paul Robinson. Why should I want Paul Robinson?"

Most of us on here knew that Ince was interested in Paul Robinson at the time and frankly I thought that Ince was insulting our intelligence. He could have simply said "I'd prefer not to comment on that," rather than lying to the supporters. It does beg the question - What else has he lied about and should we take everything that Ince says with a large pinch of salt in the future.

I accept that we can't judge too much from pre-season friendlies, but with not long to go now before the start of the season, to concede four goals in an abject performance against Wolves on Saturday wasn't a very encouraging sign. It would appear that our new defensive coach Nigel Winterburn has much work to do on the training ground.

A lot of the training at the moment seems to be orchestrated by the Liverpudlian Ray Mathias - a man sacked by Wigan, Tranmere and with an unhappy short spell at Chester City under his belt.

All in all, it's been a disappointing summer. Let's hope that things don't get worse as the season progresses.

I think the link, without even checking the article, says it all. It's the Mail, so right away it's bound to be a cheap shot. As with all @#/? journalism, it lacks content, sources and is another one for Skeptoid to debunk I suggest.

That doesn't mean everything's rosy down on t'cabbage patch, but I'd expect some teething problems and it's manna from heaven to the doom-mongers. Sat's second half collapse was awful, but anyone letting that piece of hack spin enthuse them lacks objectivity I would suggest. Personally, I'd rather judge my football on the pitch, in time, rather than getting the pitchforks in the peasants arms just yet. The problem with the lynch mob approach is they've already made up their minds, it's very hard for them to take their hoods off to allow some thought to enter their heads.

I think this forum is turning into the supermarket from "The Mist". Cue quotes....

"[Mrs. Carmody is preaching to her 'cult' and they're repeating expiation] Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is 'expiation'."

Irene: [after hurling a can of peas at Mrs. Carmody] Shut up, you miserable buzzard! Stoning people who ###### you off is perfectly okay. They do it in the Bible, don't they? And I got lots of peas!

I think this forum is turning into the supermarket from "The Mist". Cue quotes....

"[Mrs. Carmody is preaching to her 'cult' and they're repeating expiation] Welcome to Sesame Street, kids. Today's word is 'expiation'."

Irene: [after hurling a can of peas at Mrs. Carmody] Shut up, you miserable buzzard! Stoning people who ###### you off is perfectly okay. They do it in the Bible, don't they? And I got lots of peas!

hopefully we have a happier end than that film! made wickerman look like a feelgood film.

Jan, glad to see you're being objective about things. In what universe would you actually be complementary of the new regime? Which planets would have to align for you to actually be positive? It's the Archie Knox influence is it? Surely it's not that simplistic? Let's say we took wee Gordon Strachypants onto the staff, and things stayed EXACTLY as whatever they are just now that rattles you, would you still have as much vitriol?

I know that second half on Sat had an extreme effect on you, as it did many of us, but I'd be keen to know what small amount of credit you would be willing to concede, or to give an ounce of support. At the minute you sound like Witchfinder General and won't settle until you've dunked everyone into the canal!

I would be complimentary if:

We had a manager who could answer questions he was given coherently

Had a manager who has shown the slightest interest in furthering his understanding of the game by starting his qualifications when he became a manager

We had a manager sbout whom stories of unrest were not already coming out of the woodwork

We had a manager who had appointed a backroom staff with the qualifications he didn't have who used the most recent scientific training techniques (and don't tell me Ince does- because Benni is at a Souness level of fatness)

Had appointed a manager who didn't just pay lip service to being the same type of manager as our last one (young, British and ex-Manure) but who showed any type of aptitude for the game (Hughes was a pundit as Wales manager- I don't remember hearing Ince's insightful comments too often)

We had a manager who hadn't bad-mouthed us in the past

Archie Knox has nothing to do with this. I regard him as somewhat of an irrelevance, although I had to laugh when it was trumpeted we were getiting a top coach and he turned up. I actually had no idea he was at Rangers- he was that anonymous- until some moron accused me of being biased because of his past- I had to look it up!

Would I be the same if it were Gordon Strachan? Possibly not, but he has just won three SPL titles in a row (not even M O'N managed that) and got Celtic into the last 16 of the Champion's league.

I was reasonably hopeful over Ince because he wasn't Sam or McLaren. I have no good scientific reason why I amn't now- I just amn't.

Can't say we looked particularly defensively sound when Hughes was in charge either.

I am worried about the apparent problems - but to an extent they are to be expected given the change in playing style and training routine.

Unlike Jal - I am prepared to give Ince a chance. The reality is - we should have enough good players at the club to prevent a total collapse - but Ince does need to get things together this Saturday in front of the home fans :rover:

Jal is prepared to give Ince a chance, every chance possible, just got to point out a few errors of his ways in Fowler, coaching etc,.

I cannot see how there is anything positive at all about the start we have made. My biggest worry is the backroom staff that Ince has appointed, Ray Mathias should be nowhere near a Premier League training pitch, surely everybody must see that? Can anyone really expect Santa Cruz or Benni McArthy to have any respect for him when they have worked under Hughes, Mourinho, Hitzfeld etc?

To think we have missed the boat on Michael Laudrup is really disappointing, even if he had stayed for just one year our profile would have continued to get better and better and we could have got a real reputation as a place for Europe's top young managers to come and work. All the signs are that Ince is NOT one of those, just a 4th Division manager.

Others have argued that Ince's terrible interviews are not important, I am sure that if he continues to talk like that on TV then we are going to become an absolute laughing stock.

Ince obviously wants to sign Robbie Fowler which I think just about says it all. We look to be in real trouble, I hope JW will have the balls to make a quick decision if things really do unravel because if the start of the season is bad then I have no faith in Ince turning it round.

The sad thing is that if we do sack Ince then we are going to have to resort to Fat Sam etc when we could have had Michael Laudrup in over the summer...

If you employ a manger who is obviously as thick as pig-###### then this is always going to happen.

I can just about understand the board wanting to employ Ince, but allowing him to bring in his League Two backroom staff and old-mate Fowler is shocking.

I'm actually quite impressed by his signings, he's obviously got something about him in that department...but that's pointless if he can't train/motivate/inspire/organise a team.

Archived