BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Do You Approve Of The New Manager?

den

Paul Ince.  

580 members have voted

1. 1. Your views on the Paul Ince appointment?

• Devastated
    • Completely underwhelmed
    • Not sure, but initial feeling is disappointment
    • Prepared to wait and see
    • Might be good
    • Should work out OK
    • Very optimistic
    • Top man

Exactly, I cannot see how people can dismiss this problem.

Just because there are minor and very standard problems at the club, it doesnt mean we should all start building panic rooms and stocking up on bottled water.

Whats getting all stressed out going to do? nothing.

No doubt, if we leave the club to it they'll sort this issue out in no time, but if every fan starts to cry their eyes out and grab their pitchforks then its only going to fuel the fire for the tabloids, which in turn will make the situation a lot more difficult for the club to handle.

In the words of John Hiatt 'Have a little faith' and let the club deal with it.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Dear Oh Dear. Should have seen this coming since Ince was the one I wanted to be Boss. This is not looking good at all. Anyone have any specifics? Hope this can be corrected, Sparky and his team was always going to be a tough act to follow, maybe Ince can make the adjustments, maybe he does need some new players who are not still loyal to Sparky. Nervously concerned at these rumblings, and if the result at Blackpool is as I heard it then two 4-2 defeats to Dingle Division opposition with less than two weeks to kick off could be a sign of bad things to come.

What are we compared to Bolton? A better-run club for a start, with far more credibility and recent history on our side, and more players other teams covet. DOWN SOLELY TO THE LAST MANAGER.

Bolton fans under Allardyce also watched the most stultefying, negative, cynical type of anti-football that made John Beck's horror shows look like Brazil in the 70 World Cup. It was bad enough having to watch 2 games of that per season, so I wouldn't exactly hold up a Bolton fan as a fair scholar of football, they must have been easily pleased. LETS LEAVE DISCUSSION ON THAT UNTIL OCTOBER OR SO.

As for a shoestring, that's a matter of opinion. BW had high player churn, didn't bring in much revenue on selling players, high wages, 'no smoke without fire' surely must apply to his transfer dealings then? NO EVIDENCE YET WHAT INCE WILL DO IN THAT DIRECTION.

At least Nicko had the sense to sit on the story and deserves credit for his stance. PAPERING OVER CRACKS SPRINGS TO MIND.

I agree, the time to judge will be at a given point in the future. Some of us will maybe have more patience, more objectivity, more tolerance, and others won't.

I also agree that at present there are some VERY alarming factors, but then again there are also positives (some maybe stretching optimism thresholds), but just now it's all about perspective - folks see what they want to see a lot of the time. Rovers fans have a default negativity on the whole I think, and given there's already an undercurrent of anti-Ince prejudice them two factors will only combine, and the infamous 'article' only fans the flames.

However, taking every chance to wave the pitchforks isn't really conducive to a good environment, on here, at the club, anywhere is it really? Not suggesting we should all blindly follow Ince - a lot of the criticisms are valid I accept - but let's see, that's all we're both saying. Agreed?

Bolton fans under Allardyce also watched the most stultefying, negative, cynical type of anti-football that made John Beck's horror shows look like Brazil in the 70 World Cup. It was bad enough having to watch 2 games of that per season, so I wouldn't exactly hold up a Bolton fan as a fair scholar of football, they must have been easily pleased.

Let's not forgot two seasons of relegation near misses before he had any success. Please spare me two season of TND spouting off.

Let's not forgot two seasons of relegation near misses before he had any success. Please spare me two season of TND spouting off.

I'd not be so smarmy if I was you. A couple of posts ago you've just admitted that it's looking like you dropped a bollock. You'd be well advised to go away and lick your wounds quietly. ;)

Oh Dear Oh Dear. Should have seen this coming since Ince was the one I wanted to be Boss. This is not looking good at all. Anyone have any specifics? Hope this can be corrected, Sparky and his team was always going to be a tough act to follow, maybe Ince can make the adjustments, maybe he does need some new players who are not still loyal to Sparky. Nervously concerned at these rumblings, and if the result at Blackpool is as I heard it then two 4-2 defeats to Dingle Division opposition with less than two weeks to kick off could be a sign of bad things to come.

To be honest if the players have that sort of attitude they want *ollocking up hill and down dale and it's no real surprise that they coasted through the final 28 games of last season under Hughes is it?

The rentaquote "senior" player in particular should be bombed out.

I seem to remember back around 1975 the Leeds United players hounded Brian Clough out after 30 days. Terrible manager he was........................

Hold your nerve USA.

To be honest if the players have that sort of attitude they want *ollocking up hill and down dale and it's no real surprise that they coasted through the final 28 games of last season under Hughes is it?

The rentaquote "senior" player in particular should be bombed out.

I seem to remember back around 1975 the Leeds United players hounded Brian Clough out after 30 days. Terrible manager he was........................

Hold your nerve USA.

The same was happening with Bolton last season where Sammy Lee was clearly out of his depth and Gary Speed dissented. Gary Speed turned out to be correct.

In theory, players should keep it shut and get on with the job however poor the management team is but in practice it doesn't happen at any club.

We have some players who have played at the very top clubs in Europe, you cannot seriously expect them to be taught what to do off people like Ray Mathias. What is he going to teach them, how to fill in pension forms?

Calling Big Sam. Mayday, mayday.

Rovers players baling out and club in freefall......

Calling Big Sam. Mayday, mayday.........

This would be the same Big Sam who produced such good results up at Newcastle that there were stories in the press that he had lost the dressing room and they were unhappy with his methods. Sounds like just the man to me!!!

The same was happening with Bolton last season where Sammy Lee was clearly out of his depth and Gary Speed dissented. Gary Speed turned out to be correct.

In theory, players should keep it shut and get on with the job however poor the management team is but in practice it doesn't happen at any club.

We have some players who have played at the very top clubs in Europe, you cannot seriously expect them to be taught what to do off people like Ray Mathias. What is he going to teach them, how to fill in pension forms?

So because Speed was right it's fair to assume that the 'senior source' at Ewood is also? No smoke without fire eh?

I cannot understand this obsession with Mathias particularly his age. How old is Fergie? How old was Boby Robson at his last job? It doesn't even matter about his management record as he's here to train the players, although in actual fact we don't know what he does apart from a rumour.

What makes me laugh is that since Nicko has been on the board we have seen so often how quickly a rumour can spread yet because this rumour suits the agenda of the anti-ince mob then it must be true.

The facts are we have no idea what is happening and because we haven't played a single competitve game we cannot base it on anything on the pitch either. Ince will not be sacked now, so people can either back him now or join the increasing hysteria that as Nicko suggested was an attempt to destabilize the club by another. Why would any fan of Rovers want to do that?

There is absolutely nothing wrong with having concerns but when they are grounded in ridiculous articles that clearly have an agenda than it really worries me that so many are prepared to accept it. I would have thought the fact it mentions Bentley and implies he left because of Ince spoke volumes.

It's nothing to with "since Nicko came on the board", I started going when I was 5, in 1987 and have never gone into the season thinking we had such an obviously hopeless manager, I don't need Nicko to tell me that we've made what looks to be a massive mistake.

The rumours coming about about the players not liking the management team are very strong and common sense leads me to believe them because if you have lower league losers like Ray Mathias training international stars like Santa Cruz, McArthy etc then you are asking for trouble.

It was obvious at the start of last season that Sammy Lee was out of his depth but at least he made it through the Summer without it being a headline in the national newspapers. It's clear that other clubs smell blood because they are circling around for our players even more than usual, with encouragement.

Are you not embarrassed that this story is already breaking? are you not embarrassed the Robbie Fowler is been given serious consideration by Ince? Are you not embarrassed by the way Ince presents himself to the media? Just remember what a laughing stock Lee made Bolton last season.

I promise that if I am wrong, then at the end of next season, or even during the season I will hold my hand up but I don't see it happening with Ince and his crew in charge.

Edit: The story doesn't imply Bentley left because of Ince, it points out there has been a breakdown in respect between the players and the staff and the Bentley incident is one. I don't like Bentley but making him do press ups because his arms were folded is ridiculous, schoolboy style training.

The article although very bad, could also be a blessing as well. JW and Ince wouldknow about it, I presume. Maybe there will be one of these get togethers to sort out the differences etc. Cards on the table etc in order to fix what is going wrong or considered to be going wrong. If JW sees that it is doing no good at all and realises the players have no respect or will not play for Ince, then Ince will be sacked.

Worrying times.

If the response to a player standing around with arms folded really was to order 20 press=ups, we've got a set of Charles Dickens characters up at Brockhall.

It would do little harm to give the LT a quick insight into the bang up=to=date sports technology Ince told JW he would be using at Rovers would it?

I have voiced my concerns before about Ince. I am trying to be positive about his tenure, however I have been worried since his appointment. Key for any manager is to have control and respect.

Ince has mentioned many times he finding it tough to apapt to being a Premiership manager. He seems overwhelmed by it all in a way (as he also said he when got the job).

Not a determining factor, but the way he comes across in his interviews seems that he does not beieve in what he is trying to do (sorry for the old Hughes cliche there).

I will support him but I just cannot help the way I feel about this.

It's nothing to with "since Nicko came on the board", I started going when I was 5, in 1987 and have never gone into the season thinking we had such an obviously hopeless manager, I don't need Nicko to tell me that we've made what looks to be a massive mistake.

Edit: The story doesn't imply Bentley left because of Ince, it points out there has been a breakdown in respect between the players and the staff and the Bentley incident is one. I don't like Bentley but making him do press ups because his arms were folded is ridiculous, schoolboy style training.

I didn't suggest that Nicko was the cause of this nor that he was telling anybody anything. I'm pointing out that people who are clearly very willing to believe anything negative have lapped this up in the no smoke without fire sense. We have seen plenty of stories that clearly started on here as either rumours or not even that and then made SSN and many papers and suddenly spread.

I don't know for one minute if the stories are true but seeing as Ince is the current manager and will not be sacked for at least a couple of months, hopefully not at all, what is the pointing in panicking and worrying. With that in mind I would think it far more sensible to wait until the season starts when you can judge a manager on the only thing that actually matters, results.

Chaps... reading between the lines... Ince has not been impressed with Benni's fitness... The source quoted about Ince dissent was a "senior" player... am i putting 2 and 2 together and makign 5 or is Benni upset because no-one as put a bid in for him.

As far as BEntley and hsi strop is concerned... it is to be expected... obviosuly his head is bigger than his talent... he's Ramos' problem now.

Let's judge Paul Ince by what happens on the pitch, the season hasn't even started for FFS!

I was not in favour of the Ince appointment from the off as I thought it was too big a step up from the 4th division. However, I stated on here that his best chance of success would be if he brought in top quality backroom staff, who were used to dealing with top international players. I have been astounded with the appointments of Matthias and Knox, as they send out precisely the wrong message. If you were one of our top players what would you think?

What was said at Ince's interviews though? Surely JW and the board were well aware of PI's intended staff. Should they not have been aware of the problems associated with bringing in second rate people?

Maybe as a relative rooky in management terms he should have been given better advice from a club that finished seventh in one of the world's top leagues. 4th division ( where Accrington Stanley and Morecambe play!) are not of the required standard.

I don't know for one minute if the stories are true but seeing as Ince is the current manager and will not be sacked for at least a couple of months, hopefully not at all, what is the pointing in panicking and worrying. With that in mind I would think it far more sensible to wait until the season starts when you can judge a manager on the only thing that actually matters, results.

Agree, with this MB and the quote from Dinglebaiter entirely

but it remains to be seen if it's too steep a step. For now, I think folk are homing in on things to suit their arguments/anti-Ince opinions.

Ultimately, we're all fickle. As unlikely as you probably think it may prove to be, if we play wonderful football all season, and consolidate for a season, I doubt you'd be honest & open enough to complement the coaching staff

To add my penneth, I have also heard about the discontent but this is direct from somebody connected with a senior figure (not player) who we all know very well - however that is as much as I can reveal on source or certain person could end up unemployed.

Anyway, from my perspective it all sounds a bit ah diddums from the players in that they are being made to work and don't appear to want to work with Ince and his team with the new methods. The feeling I get is that Ince is as he was as a player at the moment - hyper, and is a little nervous but want's to get things going of how he wants to do it - he maybe rushing it a little, however, I think once the season starts he will begin to settle down into the job.

In all ways of life there are always going to be doubt and anxiety with change, resentment and initial rejection but you have to give things a chance to work. On the Rovers point, its seems like some players have had a cushy period and its those that are making the noises - sounds like they need to grow up and knuckle down to me and start thinking about what they are paid to do.

Can we all start giving Ince and his team a little slack and stop condoning every little thing - the club have just lost two of its most consistent players , nearly the whole management and training team and we expect everything to be the same!!

It will take time to adjust , and I doubt we will see any increased return on the performance of the last 2/3 seasons, at least not this season anyway.

Worries , I think everybody has these which is natural as its the unknown, but lets give time a chance and if you do have any doubts about something - at least be constructive in your criticism.

Guest Kamy100

I don't know if any of this "unrest" is true, but I did comment at the time of Ince's appointment that he must embrace the approach that Hughes implemented. Time and again over the last 2 years I have heard from players that they are very impressed with the training and preperation that they got under Hughes, now if Ince does not match those expectations then of course players are going to be concerned, it is just the same for any of us If we have worked under a manager who forward thinking, motivates, challenges and moves you forward as individual and then suddenly he/she leaves and is replaced by someone who adopts more traditional management techniques then your going to be disappointed.

As someone who was not overjoyed at the appointment of Ince I still believe it is too early to make judgements about his management style. We need to see how the team does in the first half dozen or so League matches. After that it will be perfectly clear if he has lost the senior players or not.

Nonetheless, supporters have every right to be concerned about a less than auspicious pre-season. Under Hughes and his backroom staff there was an aura of quiet professionalism and the players clearly bought into his hi-tech, scientfic approach. Ultimately, players will buy into anything that they believe will enhance their careers and improve them.

The stories that have been leaked suggest that some players are not happy about the methods that are now employed. If those players feel that the methods now being used are inferior and a step back they are quite right to voice their concerns.

If the coaching is being overseen by Mathias and Knox then that too might be a cause of concern. While Dalglish allowed Ray Harford to do the coaching the fact was that Ray was acknowledged as one of the finest coaches of his generation. One of the reasons Alan Shearer came to Blackburn was to work with Harford with whom he had worked at England Under-21 level. I have no doubt that Ray Mathias is a decent guy, but he is not of the same stature as Ray Harford or, indeed, the coaches who assisted Hughes.

The problem I have with Ince not undertaking coaching courses is that it sends out the message that he is not receptive to new ideas. He may not buy into all the ideas on these courses but surely there will be things he could learn to improve his coaching. Hughes and Co. were the exact opposite. Open and receptive to new ideas and technology as a way of improving their professionalism. At this moment in time I don't believe that Ince, Mathias and Knox have a similar philosophy. I have no problems with the manager's lack of interview technique but it is his approach to training and coaching that has always been and remains my main concern.

Have slept on this and this morning still have that horrible feeling that we've appointed the wrong man and his back room staff are from the circus, not even a good circus like zippos, however i will give him a chance, BUT when we're in the bottom 3 come xmas time i will be calling for him to resign. Anyone think John Williams has realised what he's done is holding back money for the next manager hahahaha, can't believe what i'm saying.

Typical Rovers fans - you just cannot help moaning can you? In a way, I can imagine that some of you are half hoping that PI struggles so that you can trawl through your pre-season quotes and post them here saying 'see, I told you so, PI is crap. I predicted this in July/August'

Do you support the team or what?

Were you pleased when we got beat by Wolves because it gave you a chance to have another swipe at the new management? Probably.

It makes me sick.

One Love - BRFC

Typical Rovers fans - you just cannot help moaning can you? In a way, I can imagine that some of you are half hoping that PI struggles so that you can trawl through your pre-season quotes and post them here saying 'see, I told you so, PI is crap. I predicted this in July/August'

Do you support the team or what?

Were you pleased when we got beat by Wolves because it gave you a chance to have another swipe at the new management? Probably.

It makes me sick.

One Love - BRFC

Rubbish mate i love this club more than anything!! I moan because i care/love this club and it actually hurts when we do shi%. To say i hope he struggles is complete nonsense.

I'll be there every game i can win lose or draw!

i just don't accept the club going backwards.

that makes me sick

Archived