BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Do You Approve Of The New Manager?

den

Paul Ince.  

580 members have voted

1. 1. Your views on the Paul Ince appointment?

• Devastated
    • Completely underwhelmed
    • Not sure, but initial feeling is disappointment
    • Prepared to wait and see
    • Might be good
    • Should work out OK
    • Very optimistic
    • Top man

The 20 press-ups for folding your arms is a standard penalty in the army. It seems likely that this was a fitness training session run by the ex-army guy.

If so, you know what to expect in that kind of regime - tough uncompromising discipline. Usually it is all taken in good part by the "victim" and his mates. Presumably this is not the only type of training the players get but it may well be a first for many. It may not be "state of the art" but I reckon it could be effective when part of an overall, varied package.

I can see one or two characters being a bit precious though.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Come on folks try and use your noggins on this:

Bentley - comes home from Germany 'injured' , from his own admittance had been speaking with Spurs and wanted the move - Rovers not moving on the value - Bentley miffed and didn't want to train, was already on his way out the door as he was in February - would have been the same whoever was the manager.

McCarthy - a few more belly creases - told to up his game and not be a lazy arse

Not difficult to comprehend surely.

TND - there's humiliation and trying to get respect from big time charlies who think they don't need to train.

Roversmum responded to what I was getting at.

There are means and ways but from what I have heard all Ince has been trying to do is stamp is authority (which he has aright to do) as the manager and some players don't like it - yet he has won more than anyone of them that is playing.

As mentioned, I get the feeling he is nervy in what he his doing at the moment which may or may not be a good thing and is probably the reason why people are coming up with the 'hand held' scenario.

He is getting hit from every direction with every aspect at the moment - its alot to handle don't you think?

Nobody could have predicted what was going to happen - the classic ' in at the deep end' does everything to cover the situation - lets see if he can swim first before we decide he is drowning.

As I said before , it would appear the players need to play their part and remember exactly what it is they are there for.

Poor bguggres becoming the Gordon Brown of football managment. Every week brings a bigger crisis than the previous one.

Poor bguggres becoming the Gordon Brown of football managment. Every week brings a bigger crisis than the previous one.

The difference being Brown implemeted his policies which are failing- Ince has not been given a chance to fail or not.

Whether Ince has fouled up or not we don't know.

But we do know we are in the zone where the guy cannot do anything without an ulterior interpretation being affixed (the Matt Derbyshire comments).

He has got to get off to a good start- talk about pressure!

Have slept on this and this morning still have that horrible feeling that we've appointed the wrong man and his back room staff are from the circus, not even a good circus like zippos, however i will give him a chance, BUT when we're in the bottom 3 come xmas time i will be calling for him to resign. Anyone think John Williams has realised what he's done is holding back money for the next manager hahahaha, can't believe what i'm saying.

You've got it !

The difference being Brown implemeted his policies which are failing- Ince has not been given a chance to fail or not.

No the difference is that whilst Brown had rank and file dissent he has always (until this last week) had front bench support. Sounds like Paul Ince does not command that at the moment.

I think everyone is getting far too carried away.

Lets judge Ince on his performances, I might be wrong, but in meaningful games that actually matter towards premiership points or cups.

Played 0

Won 0

Lost 0

Drawn 0

Scored 0

Conceded 0

Points 0

Goal Difference 0

I am fed up with this, moaning and groaning from millionaires it is a disgrace.

Ince has played for 3 of the biggest clubs in the world, he is not daft and is not an idiot. I am sure whatever he is trying in training is in line with what is to be expected from a premier league manager.

Les Reed is the most qualified coach in the country, now some of you may say who is he? He WAS the manager of Charlton for 10 games, qualifications mean nothing.

Note the date, I am sticking my head out and saying that we will get 6 points out of our first three games and the players will come on TV and say how wonderful Ince is.

We have lost TWO players this summer, both of whom stated whilst Hughes was in charge that they wanted to leave- how can Ince be blamed?

Wait til the end of August after a number of results and signings before making judgements.

Ince is the first black English manager, it is his first Premier league job, he has been a manager for less than 3 years, 2 key players have left and big time charlies are questioning him as well as the fans...no pressure then?

Williams is being tested, lets see what he's got.

Yup, if the stories of unrest are anything out of the ordinary upon a change of management, the players need to be firmly reminded who pays their considerable wages and who's in charge.

AND IT CERTAINLY AIN'T THEM!!

I am fed up with this, moaning and groaning from millionaires it is a disgrace.

Ince has played for 3 of the biggest clubs in the world, he is not daft and is not an idiot. I am sure whatever he is trying in training is in line with what is to be expected from a premier league manager.

Les Reed is the most qualified coach in the country, now some of you may say who is he? He WAS the manager of Charlton for 10 games, qualifications mean nothing.

Note the date, I am sticking my head out and saying that we will get 6 points out of our first three games and the players will come on TV and say how wonderful Ince is.

We have lost TWO players this summer, both of whom stated whilst Hughes was in charge that they wanted to leave- how can Ince be blamed?

Wait til the end of August after a number of results and signings before making judgements.

Ince is the first black English manager, it is his first Premier league job, he has been a manager for less than 3 years, 2 key players have left and big time charlies are questioning him as well as the fans...no pressure then?

The difference here is, are Rovers holding back funds because they have their doubts about Paul Ince, i've heard unconfirmed wispers implying this but i cant substantiate this, but none the less its worrying as Quality players win football matches and Rovers are currently very short of them.

We need to recruit some quality and it doesnt seem to be happening as of yet.

Yup, if the stories of unrest are anything out of the ordinary upon a change of management, the players need to be firmly reminded who pays their considerable wages and who's in charge.

AND IT CERTAINLY AIN'T THEM!!

This is the footaball industry were talking about here, the good players will leave if things arent upwardly positive.

No the difference is that whilst Brown had rank and file dissent he has always (until this last week) had front bench support. Sounds like Paul Ince does not command that at the moment.

Has he got rank and file dissent though?

All we know or has been reported is that one player not with us (supposedly injured and wanted to leave) got upset that he had to do 20 press ups - ah diddums - and chose to lambast after he had left.

We held back funds off Mark Hughes for 4 years - why should that suddenly be Ince's fault as well?

Hughes never sold anyone for £15m plus in his time did he, as for Inces fault, ask John Williams, ask him why funds are being restricted.

Interesting that Ince has had to come out and say that he wants Derbs to stay, and that he will be a part of his plans this season...

http://www.rovers.premiumtv.co.uk/page/New...1358457,00.html

Something happened behind the scenes?

Errrr........maybe.

Maybe Ince has assured Derbyshire that he will not be unfairly overlooked this season as he was for most of last season imo under Hughes.

Maybe nothing untoward whatsoever has happened and Ince simply rates him .................

Who knows?

Could this be part of the problem, if there is one? From my perspective it seems that Hughes and Co were losing interest towards the latter part of last season and indeed the players certainly had not been performing to their capabilities. Just maybe, this is being addressed and the players are being forced out of their comfort zone and some are a bit niggly about it.

Finally some perspective, Everyone on here has commented on this exact point I have as well. Last year we where expectant, as where the players. I honestly felt as I've said before we forgot exactly what had made us into a team that finished 6th, we did not put in the same effort and at times, I believe they (the players) Honestly felt turning up was enough.

Onto the folded arms, I like the way everyone has jumped onto the way the player was treated, punished for only folding his arms. No-one has yet to comment on the message that folding your arms sends to the person speaking so I will:

"Gradually instead of hiding behind objects we learn to fold our arms tightly across our chests, whenever we feel in danger, uncomfortable or nervous.

When a person folds their arms during a face-to-face encounter, it is possible to "suppose" that you may have said something with which the other person disagrees, even though the person may be "verbally" agreeing with you.

Studies have shown that when a person folds his arms not only has he negative thoughts about the other person, he is also paying less attention to what is being said."

Does anyone think that the likes of Fergie, Wenger et al, would stand for this lack of disrespect being shown to themselves, or one of their staff, I don't. The punishment may have been public, and carried out in the wrong way in most people's eye's, but its a two way street. The player involved showed public dissaproval of whatever the coach was doing or saying, in turn he was punished publicly.

Now, no one knows who the player was, but yet as always assumptions are being made, does it really matter, no. I saw a group of top level footballers, training with the marines recently. They where put through there paces over the course of one week. At the start of the week all you heard was moaning and groaning, he's a A hole, what does he know. Now before they started there training the club in question did there normal fitness tests agility etc. At the end of the week after some grueling, vommit inducing sessions there tests where taken again, the improvement was very significant. To quote the Officer in charge of it all "They don't train hard enough, they just coast through". At the end of the week, players being players wanted to know how they got on, how much better, quicker they had become some where shocked with the improvement. As such all the dissentors (most of the team) have funnily enough requested that next pre-season they do it again. They may have spent the week acting like female dogs, but once they saw facts on paper they understood.

Errrr........maybe.

Maybe Ince has assured Derbyshire that he will not be unfairly overlooked this season as he was for most of last season imo under Hughes.

Maybe nothing untoward whatsoever has happened and Ince simply rates him .................

Who knows?

I just find it a bit strange that he has reassured him publicly. It could well be like you said that Ince really rates him and felt he didn't get the opportunities under Hughes. On the other hand something may have been said behind the scenes.

We won’t know either way, but people will speculate as that’s life.

"I am fed up with this, moaning and groaning from millionaires it is a disgrace.

Ince has played for 3 of the biggest clubs in the world, he is not daft and is not an idiot. I am sure whatever he is trying in training is in line with what is to be expected from a premier league manager."

Isn't the most important thing where he's managed??? i would of thought so,

He's managed 2 of the biggest clubs in league 2

It could also be that some of our more "senior" players are feeling uneasy under the new team as their places are not as certain and Ince is looking at blooding some of the younger lads? I get the impression that Ince is no respecter of reputations and maybe the notion of having to prove themselves is beneath some of the team.

I think you along with roversmum have hit the nail on the head.

My over-riding impression after pre-season thus far and reading that article, is that Ince is far more prepared to give the younger members of the squad a fair crack of the whip. I suspect one or two (I doubt it's more than that) senior players can see their guaranteed place in the 16 coming to an end and don't like being being pushed out of the comfort zone.

I was told yesterday from a reliable enough source that under Hughes the younger players had to train with the first team squad for a certain minimum period of several months before they would even be considered for first team selection!

As for Bentley, the press ups thing is being taken completely out of context. He might have been being a complete tool from the minute he reported back for pre season training for all we know. Or it might have been something as part of raising fitness early on that was being done in good humour, which everyone apart from DB accepted.

I was walking to work today and an acorn fell on my head, I ran straight away to tell the queen that the sky must be falling down!!!

Will everyone calm down and stop picking up bits of mis-information and running with it! People are looking for problems that aren't there.

Some people seem desperate to blame certain members of BRFC for something they might have or not done because someone's friends sister overheard something!

How can you read negatives into the Derbyshire article??? Why is this your first reaction???? Why not see the positives that Ince recognises that he has a big role to play in the team this year, something that Hughes seemed to be unsure of.

Finally some perspective, Everyone on here has commented on this exact point I have as well. Last year we where expectant, as where the players. I honestly felt as I've said before we forgot exactly what had made us into a team that finished 6th, we did not put in the same effort and at times, I believe they (the players) Honestly felt turning up was enough.

Onto the folded arms, I like the way everyone has jumped onto the way the player was treated, punished for only folding his arms. No-one has yet to comment on the message that folding your arms sends to the person speaking so I will:

"Gradually instead of hiding behind objects we learn to fold our arms tightly across our chests, whenever we feel in danger, uncomfortable or nervous.

When a person folds their arms during a face-to-face encounter, it is possible to "suppose" that you may have said something with which the other person disagrees, even though the person may be "verbally" agreeing with you.

Studies have shown that when a person folds his arms not only has he negative thoughts about the other person, he is also paying less attention to what is being said."

Does anyone think that the likes of Fergie, Wenger et al, would stand for this lack of disrespect being shown to themselves, or one of their staff, I don't. The punishment may have been public, and carried out in the wrong way in most people's eye's, but its a two way street. The player involved showed public dissaproval of whatever the coach was doing or saying, in turn he was punished publicly.

Now, no one knows who the player was, but yet as always assumptions are being made, does it really matter, no. I saw a group of top level footballers, training with the marines recently. They where put through there paces over the course of one week. At the start of the week all you heard was moaning and groaning, he's a A hole, what does he know. Now before they started there training the club in question did there normal fitness tests agility etc. At the end of the week after some grueling, vommit inducing sessions there tests where taken again, the improvement was very significant. To quote the Officer in charge of it all "They don't train hard enough, they just coast through". At the end of the week, players being players wanted to know how they got on, how much better, quicker they had become some where shocked with the improvement. As such all the dissentors (most of the team) have funnily enough requested that next pre-season they do it again. They may have spent the week acting like female dogs, but once they saw facts on paper they understood.

I think this sums it up perfectly. It is a nerve racking time, we are stepping out from the comfort zone that we were in under Hughes. Continuity is important, however we wern't right towards the end under Hughes. Change will always ruffle some feathers and its bound to be difficult at the start. Right now we dont know which direction the club is going to go in in, however everything Williams has done in his time with us has been good for the club and he has earnt the right to be trusted. We all need to get behind Ince and give him the time to implement his vison for the club, if Williams backs it then it must be good.

How can you read negatives into the Derbyshire article??? Why is this your first reaction???? Why not see the positives that Ince recognises that he has a big role to play in the team this year, something that Hughes seemed to be unsure of.

Because you usually don't see a manager reassuring a player of his future unless there has been well publicised discussions between the manager and player about their future or when a manager brings a new player in a similar position.

It may well be a case of Ince just saying Derbs will be in his plans and that he rates him, but most examples I have seen where a manager publicly says a player is in his plans and he will feature there has been something going on in the background.

I don’t know what’s going on, but it does feel a little strange to me.

"I am fed up with this, moaning and groaning from millionaires it is a disgrace.

Ince has played for 3 of the biggest clubs in the world, he is not daft and is not an idiot. I am sure whatever he is trying in training is in line with what is to be expected from a premier league manager."

Isn't the most important thing where he's managed??? i would of thought so,

He's managed 2 of the biggest clubs in league 2

He did the seemingly impossible with Macclesfield and saved them from relegation, he then won the League 2 title and a cup with MK Dons in his first year, playing attractive football.

Now who are Ince's nearest rivals as players, Southgate?, Keane? These guys walked into top jobs with NO previous experience and what have they done? Southgate has got Boro languishing in the lower regions of the PL and Keane the same- having spent £60 million!!

Point is would they have taken on the jobs Ince has and proven that they were successful? The man has won every challenge put his way, if Shearer had arrived what clubs had he managed?

I agree with a lot of what has been said, I think the players have been getting a kick up the back side and remember there are only two Ince signings, I think the fact Ince has made Dunny Vice Captain is a significant move as I think he has sway in the dressing room.

Archived