BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Do You Approve Of The New Manager?

den

Paul Ince.  

580 members have voted

1. 1. Your views on the Paul Ince appointment?

• Devastated
    • Completely underwhelmed
    • Not sure, but initial feeling is disappointment
    • Prepared to wait and see
    • Might be good
    • Should work out OK
    • Very optimistic
    • Top man

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its clear to me now, Ince plans on making Paul Robinson's Rovers career living hell by playing the Axe at centre half.

I cannot think of many things more cruel. Perhaps persisting with Reid at right back, but with Simposn now on board, that seems unlikely.

Let's look at the facts.

Friedel left : well none of us wanted or expected that, but it appears that it wasn't the decision of the club, certainly not Ince. Friedel got a great offer, simple as that. Slight negative.

Bentley left : we all knew that long before Ince took charge. Before Hughes had even left Bentley had already come out in public and said that he wanted out. So you can't blame Ince for that, if anything he did his job in being part of a management team that got a good price for him (not that he did much, but he said the right things to the press). Slight positive.

Backroom staff : can't really say anything until we see the team in real action. I've not heard any praise, which would have been nice, but we've only got this one tabloid story. Moderate negative so far.

Villanueva : Had been totally off of the radar and is a very exciting signing. Large positive.

Robinson : Well as far as premiership ready replacements go he was probably just about as good as we could get for the price we were looking at. Could be a failure, could be fantastic (like almost every player we sign). Moderate-Large positive.

Other players we have been linked with range from fairly exciting to uninspiring (Annan to Andrews with a lot inbetween). Neutral, we have to see what we end up with.

This could be teething problems, it could be a false report, it could have been planted by Spurs or Villa, it could have been blown out of proportion or it could be the start of a huge problem. I think it is probably a teething problem that is being made too much of, but only time will tell. What I can say is, despite the fact that I was totally against the appointment of Ince at the time and was very vocal in my support of two other candidates, since he was made the manager he will have my full support until I see something concrete that shows he isn't doing a good job. So far the only concrete things we have to go by are that he appointed a goalkeeping coach who was considered good enough for United, he signed a very exciting player in Villanueva and he did a fairly good job of replacing Friedel. No concrete negatives yet.

Exactly, I must say I too supportted one of the other candidates from the off, and I was dissappointted when ince was announced, but they may have had something to do with my £20.00 bet at 40/1 on the other guy. Given that I took sometime to get my head round it, I have re-assesed and come to the fact that I as a fan cannot change it. PAUL INCE is our manager, he is a Rover now, we must allow him to get on with his job. He doesn't want to fail, he can't afford to fail, he will give his all to prove everyone wrong, just as he did on the pitch.

When I get asked what club I support I always respond with pride Blackburn Rovers, people snigger, look at me with blank expressions as if to say who rovers. We as a club over the last few years have been slatted in the press, branded bully boys and thugs who don't play, we kick. It continues now, with such articles as those in the Daily mail, telling us with such flambous Verv that a muntiny is at hand, we should ready the plank. A player who showed obvious public disregard for the coach, was publicly made to do 20 push ups, sack the coach now, come on.

When I was at school, as we all did I mucked around in class, did the teacher take me out side as to not embarass me in front of my peers, no. You have to realise 20 push ups is hardly public humiliation, its not as if he gave him the hair dryer in front of peers, put it into context. I've seen coaches with excellent reputations call players all the names under the sun in front of other players, it was hardly the same. Then for reading that superb article, quoting a senior player "we are now Bounty Rovers" it state's no names, no real facts its all speculation. We as a club rarely get the praise we deserve, we never have, we never will, but in the past every one of us defended our club to the hilt, because we knew it was not true. Even if this supposed truth that everyone has jumped in fact that, why is our laundry being washed in public. The player concerned, should be fined the max, and sold to the highest bidder. If its just a player kicking up after he's left, good riddance, and I pity your new boss. It is idle gossip, nothing more and yet we are taking it as fact. I personally judge on what I know to be fact and ignore what others say, I make my own decisions, I do not allow others to sway them with idle chit chat. People should be judged on what they do, actions speak louder than words.

Paul Ince had a hard act to follow, hughes raised the bar, now Ince must keep it there. It will not be easy, it wasn't easy with Hughes. Everyone wants to kick us as a club, we can't start kicking ourselves. Judge the man on what he does nothing else, we can voice are dissaproval if it goes wrong and we are in trouble. Ince's job will be made all the more diffacult without our support, lets see where we are after 10 games, and go from there. Lets go back 20 odd years I remember hearing fans of a certain football club calling for the head of their new scottish manager, senior players where not happy, with all the training, imagine if they had given in to the fans & players demands.

All the disent and doom mongering on here, is unjustified and based on idle gossip, the papers are beginning to find another reason to slate our club, it should galvanise us. Voice your opinions, we have very right but voice them on fact not fiction, judge him on what he achieves not because you disagree. Eddies post states facts, things we know are true, read them its not all bad.

Paul Ince is so obnoxious that even Sir Alex Ferguson couldn't stand him. Ferguson had the guts to kick him out of Manchester United, I doubt that John Williams has the backbone to kick him out of Blackburn Rovers. The man is a jellyfish.

Williams has made a grave mistake and should be held responsible for creating the turmoil that the club now finds itself in. Such conduct is an absolute disgrace. Jack Walker will be spinning in his grave. :angry2:

Friskyjim can I ask did Williams run your cat over???

Maybe you havent been around as long as me SG194 but the last time we had rumours like this was back in the 1978-79 pre season. And I dare not mention what happened that season.

The manager lasted 172 days :rock:

It was Jim Iley wasn't it - deja vu or wot!

There's a damned big jury on this messageboard, plenty of judges, a few hangmen already pulling over their hoods and a few folk willing to carry the noose........

Blackburn Rovers asked Paul Ince to carry out the manager's job. A ball hasn't yet been kicked in anger in the Premier League and he has already been met by a lynch mob.

Give the guy a chance and get behind him. Support him. He has deserved his big break but doesn't deserve this. He is a winner, always has been and must be left to do things his way.

He'll make mistakes, there's no doubt about that but which young man going up a few rungs on the employment ladder wouldn't?

The whole world and its dog hates Blackburn Rovers - Millwall have nothing on us - including the gutter press who only print stuff about the Rovers when it is to the detriment of the club. They just love to stir things up.

Paul Ince is our manager. Let's give him the support he needs.

Paul Ince is so obnoxious that even Sir Alex Ferguson couldn't stand him. Ferguson had the guts to kick him out of Manchester United, I doubt that John Williams has the backbone to kick him out of Blackburn Rovers. The man is a jellyfish.

Williams has made a grave mistake and should be held responsible for creating the turmoil that the club now finds itself in. Such conduct is an absolute disgrace. Jack Walker will be spinning in his grave. :angry2:

Frisky old man - I now accept you are a Rovers supporter but can I just try and get my head around your approach to John Williams.

A lot of peoplein and out of football consider him to be a superb Chairman who is highly respected by everyone at the club and many others in the Premiership. I think he is Chairman of the Premierships Chairmans Association.

He balances the increasingly difficult demands of the Trustees with the general well being of the club and is generally considered to run a superb operation. Bearing in mind he has no direct access to funds and has actually steered the club through some very testing times, and bearing in mind he is an employee of the club:

1. What else could he have done that would be feasible and would please you?

2. Who do you recommend should replace him with for not being up to the mark?

Thanks FJ.

Because you usually don't see a manager reassuring a player of his future unless there has been well publicised discussions between the manager and player about their future or when a manager brings a new player in a similar position.

It may well be a case of Ince just saying Derbs will be in his plans and that he rates him, but most examples I have seen where a manager publicly says a player is in his plans and he will feature there has been something going on in the background.

I don’t know what’s going on, but it does feel a little strange to me.

How about this scenario: Under Hughes Derbs was just a sub to come on towards the end of a game and look to score us a goal. Derbs feels he is better than this and deserving of more starts, so when Hughes leaves and a new manager comes in and starts to look at the players he has at his disposal, Derbs seizes the opportunity to have a little heart to heart with the new manager. New manager likes to try young players to see what they can do and gives a few of them a chance in pre-season friendlies. Derbs appears to have done well in these so new manager takes him aside again and says "OK young man, you will get your chance to do it for real this season" End of!

Thanks to Prof, fife and the other's for helping bring some sanity to this dicussion, quite frankly I thought this was the barcodes MB for a while, outrageous some of the comments ref. our new manager and the one's about the chairman prove some people are wired up to mars bars!

You're a bloody idiot and you are going on IGNORE.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion and i`m pretty sure everybody will have a different take on certain subjects.But what on earth is this garbage about the club being in turmoil?Jack Walker spinning in his grave?i have never heard so much drivel on here in just over 12 months of being a member (and there have been a few contenders!).Facts are we have sold 2 players and have replaced them with 3 new players (time will tell whether the replacements will be good enough).We haven`t played a competitive game yet but to hear people talk you would think we were in the bottom 3,10 points adrift of safety with 3 games to go!

Some people on here are just beyond unbelievable. :angry:

How about this scenario: Under Hughes Derbs was just a sub to come on towards the end of a game and look to score us a goal. Derbs feels he is better than this and deserving of more starts, so when Hughes leaves and a new manager comes in and starts to look at the players he has at his disposal, Derbs seizes the opportunity to have a little heart to heart with the new manager. New manager likes to try young players to see what they can do and gives a few of them a chance in pre-season friendlies. Derbs appears to have done well in these so new manager takes him aside again and says "OK young man, you will get your chance to do it for real this season" End of!

Think today's PR spot was quite cute on Ince's behalf, about time he got a little credit. Two articles in the local press bigging up the local lads, good way to boost the fans; especially countering the tripe in the Daily Nationalist. Also acknowledges the fact they were both putting in extra shifts @ Brockhall pre-pre-season. Derbs is reputedly one of the hardest trainers in the squad, and if Benedict's belly is anything to go by, his efforts should be acknowledged. Derbs probably appreciates the recognition, especially looking at Fowler & Benedict around him. That's my take on it, Ince is just trying to keep the lad going as he has done - I think anyone in Matt's position would wonder what's going on (we do as fans, so imagine what it's like for him). Added to this, I'd like to think Ince is long-sighted enough to acknowledge the future of the club is in the younger, local players (if he has a plan) based on his plans aligning to the clubs 5 year plan to expand & integrate the Academy better into the first team squad.

Then again, the pitchforkers will probably now assume that it was Derbs who squealed to the media LOL

Frisky old man - I now accept you are a Rovers supporter but can I just try and get my head around your approach to John Williams.

A lot of peoplein and out of football consider him to be a superb Chairman who is highly respected by everyone at the club and many others in the Premiership. I think he is Chairman of the Premierships Chairmans Association.

He balances the increasingly difficult demands of the Trustees with the general well being of the club and is generally considered to run a superb operation. Bearing in mind he has no direct access to funds and has actually steered the club through some very testing times, and bearing in mind he is an employee of the club:

1. What else could he have done that would be feasible and would please you?

2. Who do you recommend should replace him with for not being up to the mark?

Thanks FJ.

1. Make a concerted effort to keep hold of Mark Hughes. Credit to Williams for appointing him in the first place, but I'm just annoyed that he let Sparky leave without fighting to keep him. How on earth can we progress if we let our prized assets leave so easily?

Also, I had a hunch that something was amiss when the early-bird scheme ended before last season finished. Did Williams know that Hughes, Bentley and even Friedel wanted to leave? I think so. As a result, I firmly believe that he has deceived the support. He attempted to galvanise the support by making what he believed to be a popular choice, but we can all see that it has backfired. It's an uninspiring choice, and there are already reports that players are unhappy, unsettled and restless. That doesn't bode well for this season. When was the last time we entered a season with so many supporters unsure about the future? 1999-2000? Williams' credibility has taken a massive dive and it could result in a lot of animosity.

2. A man with a clear determination of fulfilling Jack Walker's demandment of Blackburn Rovers being a top-six club. We are effectively drifting now, quite possibly into the Championship if we're not careful. We need a takeover - getting another Jack is highly unlikely - but that doesn't mean that there aren't men out there who can take Blackburn Rovers on and improve the club. I believe that there are two interested parties at present, let's see what they have to offer. We are basically a club in limbo until someone takes it over. Whether John Williams remains at he club after a takeover remains to be seen, but I don't think he will.

I think a fresh approach, providing the trustees sell to the right person/consortium, will be good for the club.

If this season is a rip-roaring success, I shall give credit to Williams for making a tremendous appointment.

I did exactly the same... :)

That's a shame.

1. Make a concerted effort to keep hold of Mark Hughes. Credit to Williams for appointing him in the first place, but I'm just annoyed that he let Sparky leave without fighting to keep him. How on earth can we progress if we let our prized assets leave so easily?

Also, I had a hunch that something was amiss when the early-bird scheme ended before last season finished. Did Williams know that Hughes, Bentley and even Friedel wanted to leave? I think so. As a result, I firmly believe that he has deceived the support. He attempted to galvanise the support by making what he believed to be a popular choice, but we can all see that it has backfired. It's an uninspiring choice, and there are already reports that players are unhappy, unsettled and restless. That doesn't bode well for this season. When was the last time we entered a season with so many supporters unsure about the future? 1999-2000? Williams' credibility has taken a massive dive and it could result in a lot of animosity.

2. A man with a clear determination of fulfilling Jack Walker's demandment of Blackburn Rovers being a top-six club. We are effectively drifting now, quite possibly into the Championship if we're not careful. We need a takeover - getting another Jack is highly unlikely - but that doesn't mean that there aren't men out there who can take Blackburn Rovers on and improve the club. I believe that there are two interested parties at present, let's see what they have to offer. We are basically a club in limbo until someone takes it over. Whether John Williams remains at he club after a takeover remains to be seen, but I don't think he will.

I think a fresh approach, providing the trustees sell to the right person/consortium, will be good for the club.

If this season is a rip-roaring success, I shall give credit to Williams for making a tremendous appointment.

/quote]

Interesting viewpoint, shouldnt some of the criticism be leveled at the trustees first and foremost.

Interesting viewpoint, shouldnt some of the criticism be leveled at the trustees first and foremost.

Good point - though the trustees have invested £40 million since Jack Walker died. Could they have done more? Could John Williams have asked for more money to back Mark Hughes with? Maybe he did do that but was turned down. I guess we will never know, but fair play to him if he did.

Can't read too much into the friendly results, though the goals against is a little concerning. We looked suspect at the back last season.

Obviously this season is going to be one of transition. Ince clearly wants to build a young team and when you look at the lads on trial/signed, Villanueva, Simpson, Annan, etc we could have some super players on our hands.

Nice to see an emphasis on youth, we have plenty of experience in the team, adding some youthful exuberance to the team could do wonders.

As for rattling one or two cages on the training ground, I have little sympathy - too many players seemed to coast last season.

Think Everton will be a good indication of how our season will go and I've a sneaky feeling we'll start with a win :brfcsmilie:

Can't read too much into the friendly results, though the goals against is a little concerning. We looked suspect at the back last season.

Obviously this season is going to be one of transition. Ince clearly wants to build a young team and when you look at the lads on trial/signed, Villanueva, Simpson, Annan, etc we could have some super players on our hands.

Nice to see an emphasis on youth, we have plenty of experience in the team, adding some youthful exuberance to the team could do wonders.

As for rattling one or two cages on the training ground, I have little sympathy - too many players seemed to coast last season.

Think Everton will be a good indication of how our season will go and I've a sneaky feeling we'll start with a win :brfcsmilie:

Agree. Guess we will know where we stand when we play Everton. And do have to say our back look very shaky at time last year(esp when savage is gone). Felt that midfield did not did enough to cover the back 4. Hope this year we would do better.

Archived