BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Do You Approve Of The New Manager?

den

Paul Ince.  

580 members have voted

1. 1. Your views on the Paul Ince appointment?

• Devastated
    • Completely underwhelmed
    • Not sure, but initial feeling is disappointment
    • Prepared to wait and see
    • Might be good
    • Should work out OK
    • Very optimistic
    • Top man

MGP, has just been asked about unrest at rovers on sky sports.

He said new man new ideas but no unrest.

we look sharp and are fit and ready to go.

looks like they couldn't get the response they wanted out of Roque so they tried with MGP, no score with him either. :D

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Imy9 you really are full of it!

"Nobody knows what he can do" - We know what he can't do, play Premiership football any longer.

You believe Knox is better than Eddie N. I think if you asked round the Premier League you'd find most clubs would employ Eddie first because Knox is past it...

At least you almost admitted Mathias is a waste of space...

Get real...

I think you will find that I am factually correct in what I have said. Please correct anything that I said about the management team if it is inaccurate.

Is Eddie more successful than Knox? NO! How is Knox past it? This morning I was reading complimentary things written about Knox from Ryan Giggs.

IF you READ my points that I was making what should stand out is that Ince's team are far more successful than Hughes' when he first arrived, it is as clear as black and white, now if people are anti-Ince then they will see holes in every member of his team, but you can do the same things to Hughes' team.

Finally has Fowler played a number of games for Rovers and shown that he cannot play in the Premier league? Are you a Premier league manager, at the very least he will pass on his undoubted brilliance of scoring goals to the other strikers.

It's so easy to get wrapped up in conjecture and stuff on here, especially when it's very easy to formulate people - It's clear that T4E (apologies for talking about you in 3rd person fella) has been "marked" as "not in the Pro-Ince" category.

However, this doesn't necessarily mean that everything we come out with is aimed the same way.

Personally, regarding Brad, i reckon (and it's all in my head) that he was thinking of going - Maybe "it's as good a time as any" was the exact thought that came into his mind. The only thing that i consider Ince "guilty" of, is maybe not trying hard enough to convince him to stay. But there again, maybe only a new face would have spotted the opportunity to get any money at all for the big fella, and replace him with a long term, decent quality keeper at a low price.

If it had been any other member of the playing staff, no-one would have batted an eyelid. Because it was someone we thought was completely at home here, it feels different. Take a step back, and there is no way that Brad was forced out, neither did he leave because he cannot stand Ince or his methods. Whatever went on, we've lost a good but ageing keeper, who by the end of next season we would be argueing about how on earth we would ever replace him. As it is, we've got a new number one to fully get behind. Not a bad deal however it came about.

Lee's said that Brad handed in a transfer request the day after Hughes left. You dispute that but claim you've not said he's lying?

That doesn't add up to me.

Have you heard of the concept "positive spin"?

Is Eddie more successful than Knox? NO! How is Knox past it?

He's from a completely different era, his coaching techniques simply won't be match up against highly skilled and qualified people like Eddie N any more. His coaching is from a time when Ron Atkinson was a top manager - the game has changed. He hardly brought a great influence to Bolton when Sammy Lee was in charge. I'm not at all blaming him for their disastrous start, but his presence obvious didn't smooth the entrance of an unproven manager in to the club, and we're in a similar situation.

I know age doesn't stop a manager/coach from being successful, but those 'oldies' that are still around have embraced the new, more scientific methods of today. Even RFW has gone on record acknowledged that he couldn't have carried on being successful if Queiroz hadn't brought in all the new methods he wasn't familiar with.

To be fair, I have nothing to suggest that Knox hasn't embraced modern ideas as well, but equally I don't have anything to suggest otherwise. And, given as the rest of Ince's back room staff don't seem to fall in to this category, I'm going to make a fairly safe assumption that Knox is 'past it' in terms of being a top 10 Premier league coach.

That is such an absurd statement IMO

Question: Who is the most qualified coach in this country?

Answer? Les Reed....

Les who? The man who was in charge of Charlton for what 10 games and got the sack. Being "modern" means nothing at all. Knox has been successful, has Eddie, has Les Reed, etc...

Sports Science not modern?

Defensive coach not a modern approach?

As I stated Giggs was raving about Knox this morning, a little old school is good for the modern footballer

To be fair, I have nothing to suggest that Knox hasn't embraced modern ideas as well, but equally I don't have anything to suggest otherwise.....I'm going to make a fairly safe assumption that Knox is 'past it' in terms of being a top 10 Premier league coach.

Since, as you say, you have no information whatsoever on Knox, other than his age, why is your assumption 'fairly safe'?

His age AND his CV EiT, that's a pretty big chunk of information to have. I believe it's a fairly safe assumption because Ince isn't exactly filling the coaching room with modern thinking coaches, Knox would be a bit of an exception if he was. Also, there's nothing in his CV to suggest he's embraced modern coaching methods; he left Everton when Moyes came in and being transforming them, and since then his only Premiership experience has been with a terrible Bolton side.

Your words were:

"I'm going to make a fairly safe assumption that Knox is 'past it' in terms of being a top 10 Premier league coach."

I asked on what basis you made this assumption?, he is an extremely successful number 2, look at what he has won as a number 2 for proof.

Sir Alex recommended him, players speak highly of him too.

I asked on what basis you made this assumption?

On the basis that he hasn't worked for a top 10 Premiership side since late 80s/early 90s with Man Utd?

Everton were perennial strugglers during Knox's time there (league finishes 13th-15th), they only turned things round after that team left and Moyes came in with fresh ideas. After that he was knocking around the football league, before working with the Scottish national team - where day in, day out coaching of players isn't needed. Then Bolton decided to bring him in 'for experience' to aid Sammy Lee...that went well, didn't it? Now we're trying to same thing.

I think all that counts for a lot more than Ryan Giggs having a liking for the man. He left Man Utd in 1991 for crying out loud! I'm yet to hear any convincing counter arguments other than recommendations from old friends from nearly two decades ago.

Let's just hope that Knox is not past it and that his methods are respected not ridiculed after Bowen.

And that Mathias is a gem whose time at the top has finally come.

I still want to hear about prozone etc. to make me feel more comfortable.

As I have stated on a number of ocassions Archie Knox has won more trophies than any other number 2 that springs to mind.

Eddie N and Mark Bowen have never won ANYTHING, what makes them great no 2's?

Knox has won European trophies, league trophies and league cups.

What you have said about being past it for a top 10 club is meaningless because the facts support me not you.

Fergy recommended Knox for a Premier league job, I consider his opinion to be more accurate.

Knox has won European trophies, league trophies and league cups.

What you have said about being past it for a top 10 club is meaningless because the facts support me not you.

All achieved either in the 80s or in the SPL. If Alex Ferguson thought he was any kop in the modern game he wouldn't have turned to assistant after assistant ahead of Knox in the 90s and 00s.

I must give up debating on this board, if I hit my head against this wall one more time I'll be watching the neighbours television.

So winning in Scotland is lower than working with Arsenal reserves and Birmingham in the Championship?

Regardless of when he won something, he won something, the entire backroom staff that we had have won a grand total of NOTHING in their careers as backroom staff.

I think the above should give Knox a little respect as to what he can offer.

Les Reed is the most qualified coach in the country but is a rubbish manager, qualifications mean nothing. Finally Fergy does not think Knox is suitable for the biggest club in the world so obviously this means he is not good enough for us...

In today's Guardian survey of season ticket sales Rovers are the only club where it is apparent sales are down ("slow" to use the phrase quoted). This just reflects the absolute bucketload of bad news after bad news that supporters have had to endure in the past 3 months. To make matters worse the club is strongly with and will probably sign at least 2 players who will make the club a laughing stock. Yes Blobby and Julie. The Bentley money seems to have been impounded and as for the supposed "transfer budget" and Hughes compensation money well a big fat £1m has been spent so far. Grim reality will soon set in when even the optimists realise just how much Bentley is missed as Bert or Reid labour to get past the Hull full back. Bottom 3 by November.

The money is not impounded.

We have got a Manager who

-doesn't know the market

-has minimal contacts at our level amazingly (must have nutted all who could have been helpful from his Manc, Inter and Liverpool days)

-didn't know the players he was taking on.

He is reverting to his own "knowns" for his own security and dithering like crazy about the unknowns; loans offered for pineapple, annan, zigic, simpson and trials galore.

At least he hasn't blown £7m on a Grabi but Souness had the personality to secure Andy Cole whilst he was still pretty good- has Ince got the presence and personality to do equivalent business today eg MIchael Owen? (not advocating it, just posing the question).

We might be hugely grateful Paul has kept the powder dry but boy does the squad look in need of a Guvner in the middle of the park.

Our first game is less than 2 days away, can we stop being so negative about Ince and judge him on results.

If you want to judge him on transfers then at least wait until the end of the transfer window. He's had less time to look at suitable targets than any other manager in the premiership so its surely to be expected its going to take a little while.

Most of the negativity towards him is based on pre season friendlies, bad transfer targets that we didn't sign/haven't yet signed and supposed players leaving that are still at the club.

Roll on Saturday, let the football do the talking, come on Incey, come on Rovers!

Archived