BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton Preview

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a wonderful fantastic sensational sense of relief and elation! I was in the scared, worried camp and am still nervous but win or lose today, that performance was a heck of a tonic.

Ince was showing hints of slick passing pressing attacking football in the Benfica and Sporting games and those turned out to be the precursor of this afternoon's fantastic performance and result at Goodison.

Axe played way better than many thought possible although still a problem when hehas time to pick his pass, Dunn and Reid were outstanding and I have to completely revise my opinion of what Jason Roberts is capable of having seen that performance. So good to see Ooijer get his starting place at EB as well- that winner was so sweet.

All round there was an energy and fluidity we didn't see from Mark Hughes' Rovers.

OK Everton were reduced by injuries (as are we) but there was an opportunity to grab a win at Goodison and we took it.

Heartening start. Let's now pull together, see a big crowd against the Tigers and take the next step.

Moyes interview claiming our winner was offside. Don't know if anyone can shed any light upon this at all.

definatly offside but some you lose some you win. when anyone says that to me about a goal i point them in the direction of west hams "goal" at ewood.

We have that in RSC and Roberts.

I meant ONE striker that is quality but has pace! Roberts has pace/power, but definitely lacks in the finishing department...The amount of good positions he creates for himself is impressive, unfortunately doesnt take the chances...

What a wonderful fantastic sensational sense of relief and elation! I was in the scared, worried camp and am still nervous but win or lose today, that performance was a heck of a tonic.

Ince was showing hints of slick passing pressing attacking football in the Benfica and Sporting games and those turned out to be the precursor of this afternoon's fantastic performance and result at Goodison.

Axe played way better than many thought possible although still a problem when hehas time to pick his pass, Dunn and Reid were outstanding and I have to completely revise my opinion of what Jason Roberts is capable of having seen that performance. So good to see Ooijer get his starting place at EB as well- that winner was so sweet.

All round there was an energy and fluidity we didn't see from Mark Hughes' Rovers.

OK Everton were reduced by injuries (as are we) but there was an opportunity to grab a win at Goodison and we took it.

Heartening start. Let's now pull together, see a big crowd against the Tigers and take the next step.

I noticed!

Glad you enjoyed it.

I meant ONE striker that is quality but has pace! Roberts has pace/power, but definitely lacks in the finishing department...The amount of good positions he creates for himself is impressive, unfortunately doesnt take the chances...

Basically you are saying that either Ronaldo, Rooney, Torres or Drogba would do?

Whether it was or wasnt, we won and if anyone deserved to win, it was us...We took the game to them from start to finish other than for a 15 minute period. Everton MUST sign 2-3 quality players as they are in a worse situation than us in terms of depth of quality I believe.

Basically you are saying that either Ronaldo, Rooney, Torres or Drogba would do?

No. Cissé would do. Nihat would do. These are players that are both within our reach financially and realistically.

definatly offside but some you lose some you win. when anyone says that to me about a goal i point them in the direction of west hams "goal" at ewood.

It might be me, but the player who was offside when Warnock put the free kick in, looked like Ooijer. After the ball came back off the post though, Ooijer had to be onside surely?

It might be me, but the player who was offside when Warnock put the free kick in, looked like Ooijer. After the ball came back off the post though, Ooijer had to be onside surely?

Bang on and thats the way it looks to me den. Nelsen was not offside at the kick and then Ooijer was played onside for the goal.

Bang on and thats the way it looks to me den. Nelsen was not offside at the kick and then Ooijer was played onside for the goal.

Nelsen was offside. Ooijer was never at any point offside. Admittedly it's hard to tell, but if you follow Ooijer from the beginning you can see it's Nelsen who is off.

Sometimes these things go for you, today we got a bit of luck in that sense.

that guy is called didier drogba... we can't afford people that good unfortunately. :P

but on to the match - i'm clearly in the doubters camp, but today's result and showing was immensely pleasing. I must confess ince's demeanour surprised me - i always thought he'd be one of those tracksuit managers, and one who mouths off all the time. ince's calm and composed gait was a really pleasant surprise. besides the three points, the other biggest positive must have been the team spirit. i've always feared that the situation within the team would unravel, what with news of ancient training methods and military style punishments. but the spirit was evident today, and long may it last. today was wonderful, hopefully we use it as a platform and push on against Hull City. I'm not about to be converted instantly to call ince a messiah, but i'm really happy to have been proven wrong today. I only hope it continues.

ps: what have they been doing to mokoena??? his ball control, and even his distribution were a far cry from what we've been used to!

Nelsen was offside. Ooijer was never at any point offside. Admittedly it's hard to tell, but if you follow Ooijer from the beginning you can see it's Nelsen who is off.

Sometimes these things go for you, today we got a bit of luck in that sense.

Yes, looks like you're right. It wasn't intentional handball for Arteta's goal though, although strangely Moyes didn't mention that - or the fact that Rovers were better than Everton.

Robson will get some flack for the first goal, but he didn't really make that big of an error. He could have done with being a yard or so further over just to cover his post, especially as he knew that it was a good right footer taking the freekick, but it was a very well placed shot. It made him look a bit stupid, but things like that will happen every once in a while. I'm sure I wouldn't have been so positive had we not got the winner, but for now I'll forgive him and I expect him to go on a good run.

Great result. It was a weakened Everton side, but it was our weakened side too and one that has seen a lot of changes. We played some great stuff and that is something that I always called for under Hughes. Hopefully we'll keep playing good football and keep getting good results. For those who say we were lucky that Nelsen wasn't given offside, we were equally unlucky that the handball that lead to the Arteta goal was given.

Great result. Love it, love it, love it.

Something that did worry me was Paul Robinson.

His inability to stop the free kick was worrying but more so was his POOR decision to come out for the cross late on which he missed completely leaving young Baxter with a free header which he duly missed.

At least he's made them mistakes early on and we have still won. now the goalkeeping coach can single that out midweek and drill it home to him.

This is not an anti ince post.. but a few of you keep saying that was our weak side.. correct me if I am wrong here but where we not lacking just Emerton? And Carlos is still not fully fit but was on the bench?

This is not an anti ince post.. but a few of you keep saying that was our weak side.. correct me if I am wrong here but where we not lacking just Emerton? And Carlos is still not fully fit but was on the bench?

And please lets not forget Everton where actually vastly understrength with some key players out..

Well done the side but let's not start going over the top in mocking the Ince detractors. Ince hasn't proven anything yet (but he's off the mark, which is great). The time to properly gloat is at the end of the season.

Respect to Moko for surprising people - although I'm still adamant that we should and must do better.

Reid on the right wing is interesting. Will that become his permanent position? I would doubt it because he lacks creativity and real skill but he may have proven that he can do a job there with his pace and stamina.

It's 2-2 and what does Ince do. Throws on Treacy. I respect that kind of boldness.

Archived