BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton Preview

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was so much better than Hughes's Rovers. This wasn't a 3-2 away win, it was a demolition! We spent a few hours with Everton fans before and after. That was their best team almost. They said we demolished them. They were very impressed with Rovers. An easy win.

Quickly

Fitness>better,

Teamwork>better,

Passing>shorter - much faster - better,

Style of play>more attacking,

Man-management>much better (so many players showed how much better they can be),

Team togetherness>better (at the end was amazing and players talking to each other)

Defensive organisation>much much better (The commmentators said we condensed the play and held a good line up the pitch)

This could only have happened with 4 or 5 weeks hard work by all concerned. 7 on the bench and that was missing Emerton and Vogel. Even Carlos was ecstatic at the end laughing his head off and celebrating!

Ince's knockers should be very embarrassed this morning. Like I said this wasn't a lucky or well fought 3-2 win. It was the complete package for 94 minutes that left Everton in the doldrums on opening day in front of a full house at home with virtually their best team.

So many things you could write about how Ince has changed Hughes and we have definitely appointed the right manager. Who'd want Hughes back now!

Paul Wilson in today's Observer: Happiness is key to Rovers' recipe

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/au...desligafootball

Appears to contradict the tedious doom merchants, strangely conspicuous by their absence.

An extremely astute piece of writing- especially the bit where he says Paul Ince is finding that taking over at a happy club is much more difficult than at unhappy club.

I would also urge everybody to read the piece above the Happy Rovers. We could be approaching a very exciting time for BRFC if JW has got a gem in PI and not the dud we were worrying like crazy about before a ball got kicked.

I'm delighted that we have started the season off with a win. I'm sure that a lot of people would have jumped on Paul Ince last night had we lost, myself included. But hopefully this win will give him more confidence in what he is doing and silence the people outside the club who would love to see us fail. If we can follow this result up with a home win in the net game, Ince will have gotten off to the perfect start. I still think that it could be a tough season a head, but to get an away win on the first day of the season is just fantastic. If we could add some quality to the squad, then we could do better than expected.

I was going to post something very similar.

At the end of that game Paul Ince and his so called "4th division" staff had produced a feelgood factor rarely if ever felt under Hughes. 90 minutes of open, exciting, free-flowing football. Shirts were being chucked into the crowd - it was like winning the Cup Final.

It was a travesty we went in level at half time, we'd completely dominated it. And on today's evidence these "4th division dollopers" have turned Dunn from a slightly peripheral figure into a real player, Mokoena into a decent Premiership performer, and completely re-invigorated Jason Roberts.

What a match- just hope the next 37 are like that.

Au contraire! Hull at home - bring on the 'fourth division dollopers'!!

Just a couple of comments - Rovers had 7 or 8 young coaches/fitness coaches (which showed during the game) having the squad go through a lot of quick quick team work prior. Knox and Mathias were nowhere in sight as I saw and the training was excellent.

Everton continued to water the pitch heavily right up to kick off?

Did anyone see Benni ecstatic when Ooijar scored the winner. the first to run over and jump on him.

Whoever said Everton were short yesterday is talking rubbish according to Everton fans. The team that finished 5th have lost Carlsey and Cahill was out (as he was last season). But Emerton and Carlos were out for Rovers with Benni on the bench.

one good win, a season does not make.

Lets get part 40 points before we start celebrating a european place please.

Hull showed yesterday that they aren't a push over

Blah blah blah blah

1/38 gone, 37 to go. So far, so good. We're only 37 points short of the "safety mark". We are 3 points ahead of rivals Spurs and Everton, we'll have a points advantage over either Villa or City, possibly both. Of course it doesn't mean we'll get into Europe, tons of work still to be done, but it is worth remembering that last season we only beat one top 10 team. We don't know if Everton will be a top ten side, but they'll at least be close and it is a very valuable 3 points.

What a season start! An away win at Goodison. Congrates Oojier on your first rover goal and a winning one too. :rover:

I agreed with Philipl , I've seen enough in the Benfica, Sporting friendly matches that Ince could deliver the football he promised. Hence I'm not too worried about the friendly results after that as he's experimenting other varieties. Wont be surprise to see us in a 433 attack formation with style when chasing a game.

Ince gives his two wideman the freedom to roam which bert did very well on the right in that benfica match. I'm confident he able to nail that position to his own this season due to his versatility. We'll see mgp features alot on the other side but be anticipating to see our new 'messi' on that spot when he settles down. Wingers are outdated in modern games. You got to offer more then just pace and crossing in feel. Moko plays the holding role well freeing our fullbacks to provide the width when bombing forward. We know his limits but he can do a fine job within his capability. Dunny the new vice-capt is our complete midfielder enough said. :D If only he could last the whole match. JW get our Santa a 6 year contract!! He's vital to us and cant be replace even at 20 mil i reckon. Playing off Roberts, dropping deep and link up play. He offers so much presence and oozes class. Top man!

Slight worried for me before the game is after all the unrest rumors came from the media, will the players be motivated? Base on that first half performance I'm well assured all the players are behind Ince and wanted our new man to succeed in this league. :brfc:

Long gone the 'modern' systematic, static, hoof the ball up, 'one half wonder' tactic from our previous regime, that becomes so predictable and over reliance on bentley and santa to produce the goods. While we welcome our new 'old' school regime that emphasis more team performance n effort with slick passing and nice attack movement with varieties while playing with some grit, determination through'out. I'll take the new one everyday.

Like I said, there will be some ups and downs with Ince in his first season.( luckily its the former for his first game :D ) and I hope all of us supporters will ride the tides out with him while he tries to guide us back to europe this season and many more. 1 down 37 to go. Up the Rovers!

Wicked thought of the day.

Bentley was apparently played left wing most of the time for Spuds yesterday. He is going to realise that the Ince system would have been absolutely perfect for his development.

As it is, I cannot wait to see Bert Mk4 in the Inceside Right role- like you Joexx, I think his abilities are just made for it.

I just wish people wouldn't react in such extreme manner to wins and defeats, shovelling aside all balance and calculation in their judgments.

As Flopsy wrote, one win proves nothing (or perhaps, little).

Anyone remember Emerton vs Wolves? - the day the fleet-footed Aussie, dripping with virility and skill, destroyed a pack of Wolves with soaring imagination and flair (not to mention, goals.)

The signs are good. Ince will definitely procure aesthetically-pleasing football from his team. However, I don't believe that anyone can reach many hard conclusions after a mere game.

Went yesterday- Some general observations Everton fans were much quieter than usual. The only time them I really heard them sing was when they scored their second- which lasted about 30 seconds.

The game- surprised at how much fitter we looked than Everton. Dunny was outstanding , good passing , keeping the ball & run his socks off. The Axe although he did okay is not good enough in cm his passing is at times woeful.

Reidy had a decent game & his crossing was surprisingly good ( although he has defiantly lost a yard).

MGP was hit & miss although he appears to be much more confident in running into goal scoring positions . I wonder why?

Roque- Excellent, held the ball up well, great first touch- Outstanding.

Samba had a poor game for me - his positional play was all over the place at times.

Overall, very encouraged & equally surprised by the fitness & passing abilities of the players.

Flog Benni and replace with a younger quick striker. Bring in a quality RW and we should do quite well.

I've already given my opinion on the match yesterday - was an excellent performance but I dont think anybody has pointed out what a contrast it was from the game against Breda last week. I went away from that game thinking we would struggle but if we can follow on from yesterday we will have a very good season...

Only sour note to an excellent day out was that my girlfriend had her purse stolen and it was found in the gents with her cash gone and the cards all over the floor. She missed most of the first half and both goals as she was filing a report with the police. I know it was in Liverpool and we couldnt' expect much else but I can't see how it was anyone other than a thieving Rovers fan who took it in the crowd under the stand before kick off :angry2:

I just wish people wouldn't react in such extreme manner to wins and defeats, shovelling aside all balance and calculation in their judgments.

As Flopsy wrote, one win proves nothing (or perhaps, little).

Anyone remember Emerton vs Wolves? - the day the fleet-footed Aussie, dripping with virility and skill, destroyed a pack of Wolves with soaring imagination and flair (not to mention, goals.)

The signs are good. Ince will definitely procure aesthetically-pleasing football from his team. However, I don't believe that anyone can reach many hard conclusions after a mere game.

Perspective not your strong point unfortunately.

Baxter's miss and no offside for Ooijer's goal will probably prove to be the biggest 4 minutes for Rovers in the past several seasons.

Had those two gone the wrong way, the roof could have been caving in at Ewood right now.

Yesterday was MASSIVE.

Just watching Goal On Sunday on sky sports 1, and the presenter Ian Payne claimed that this was Rovers first away win on the opening day since 1993. His short-term memory is not the strongest then, since we won 2-1 away at Boro last season. Idiot

Good seeing the table on MOTD with Rovers now up to second place, albeit behind that lot from notlob.

Good result at Goodison and the perfect start for the new Ince regime. We seemed to play a lot more better than last season, and Dunn's goal was a peach!

Keep it going!

Archived