BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton Preview

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thought I would write my peice after a superb day out in the City of Culture.

Yesterday, as I was having my pre drink breakfast, I couldnt fail not to get a little bit excited about the opening game of the season being upon us, add that to the fact it was my best mates 40th and a short trip to Prague beckons on Monday, I still felt a little "unecited" about the status of my beloved Rovers - I mean having read all the tripe about our team, all the unrest and every bit of tripe spouted in the media by the experts. I even had a tinge of sadness in reading that Rovers were tipped to the win the Carling Cup by 1 tipster yet seemed relegation fodder to several other journos !

So I scoffed my bacon grill and egg toastie contemplating the recent headlines.

"Rovers have no soul"

"Benni demands transfer to Sunderland"

"RSC wants to go to City"

"No dressing room camaderie at Ewood"

"Ince is a loser"

"Rovers have no money"

"Warnock wants out to Newcastle"

"Rovers can only shop in Division 3"

You know the type of headlines I am talking about.

So then, arrival at the railway station 1050hrs. Platform 2 at Leyland covered in Rovers Blue and White with a few scallies from Everton. Good banter but the train was packed solid.

1200 ish arrived in The City of Culture and straight to the Crown, the scene of our Champions Party from 1995. After that we paid a flying visit to the nearby Weatherspoons before taxing to a pub opposite the ground. It was during this journey - a short one at that - that I tried to find reasoning why Liverpool had been deemed the City of Culture. I couldnt find an answer as all I saw was the shitehole that Liverpool is. Its a squalid dump with more takeaways than actual shops and more racked and ruined buildings than Beirut on a sunny day. However, it was sunny at that point so we nipped into the bar and sampled a few pints before reaching our seats in the most delapidated of stands.

Cue the game, this bedraggled team of Rovers players, playing without heart or passion, hatred for the manager, no respect for the shirt and the cant be arsed attitude of high earning little caring footballers just lugging the ball around the park for 90 minutes who werent really bothered about the goals either leaked or scored. NOT.

This couldnt be any further from the truth if RFW had mentioned it on a BBC interview. What we saw was a controlled game from Rovers. Slick fast forward passing, intrusive football, a will to win the tackles, the tight defence with a solid midfield aided by the sublime skill sof RSC and the battering ram that is Jason Roberts. As the game went past 20 minutes, you sensed Everton were frightened of Rovers. Cue David Dunn. A fantastic footballer who notched a screamer that had essence written all over it 1-0 Rovers. The half was coming to a close when we saw a magical piece of skill from Arteta when he scored a goal at the near post. Fear not folks, even Brad wouldnt have got it suh was the finesse about it.

So half time 1-1. Surely Rovers would now be tested. Surely the doubts would resurface, Dunny would eat a couple of pies, MGP would disappear, RSC would be sulking, the defensive errors would be back and Rovers would accede to a big defeat.

We expected an Everton response and got it. Very quickly they went 2-1 up via the Yak. Its all gone horribly wrong FOR EVERTON.

60 seconds later a fantastic ball from the wantaway Warnock (allegedly) see RSC with a touch of an artist take the ball out of the air and bang it home 2-2. The celebrations cued right in front of the travelling support. To see the players faces at that point you just knew they were going to win.

The last 20 minutes were a ding dong but Rovers looked composed. The various substitutions kept the shape of the team as Rovers hled their own in what has been a graveyard for visiting teams over recent years.

2 minutes to go and Rovers gain a free kick after a run by Reidy. Warnock lifted it into the centre and it was won by a clearly offside Nelsen who hit the post only for Ooijer to bang home the lose ball. 3-2 Rovers. Cue the next round of player celebrations in front of their own fans. Goodison empties leaving Rovers to take the 3 points.

What happened next has rarely been seen throughout my 38 seasons as a Roverite. The whole team saluted the away fans and this just emphasised to me that we have a lot going at our Club.

Whatever the Daily Mail write next about negativity inside Rovers camp it can simply be dismissed as utter @#/?. And Mods, I am sorry for the outburst such is my ire for this newspaper reporter who seems intent on destroying BRFC and their standing in British football.

So, game over and back to the pub. I remained in Liverpool all night getting hammered on the cheap ale - Maybe thats why its the City of Culture ? Having met up with my sone we missed the last train and settled for a taxi back to Chorley. The £50 fare seemed unimportant as we desperately needed a Chorley kebab for sustinence before a couple of more ales prior to getting home at the princley hour of 0100.

The player that stood out for me was The Axe. It is clear that under Hughes and co he had a perplexed time. Under Ince it may be different. He sat in front of the back 4 giving them the protection required. I dont ever recall him actually passing the ball backwards for the 90 minutes. He kept it neat and tidy and worked well with Dunny and Reid. He certainly looks fitter.

Rovers style of football appears different. The slick passing looks neat and tidy. Rovers retain the ability to go long and they can play down the wing as well as being direct. They played it hard and mixed it when required to do so. They looked sharpe and hungry.

All in all a very good and potentially unexpected start to the season. The Everton fans I chatted to before voiced concerns for our club you know with all the media hype. After it was a different story. The concerns are for their own team.

Rovers are up and running. 37 more points required for safety with Hull next up at Ewood Park.

Cant wait for the Villa to trump Mr Hughes and co. ;)

Well after a long night of work till 3 in the morning followed by a late night drinking binge I have just resurfaced and have to say once again

Ooijer

Oi

Ooijer

Oi

Ooijer Ooijer Ooijer

Oi Oi Oi

I'm still so happy about yesterdays results, Everton were lucky to be in the game after the first half, fair play they picked up in the second half and it was close but what a fairytale ending for the team and the new manager. Get in!

If you fancy reading my full report on the game plus my other thoughts on the game then check out my new blog BRFCS Blog - The Roving Eye

Fair play to Mokoena. IF he was a new signing for us, on yesterdays performance we would be suggesting he'd be a good buy for us. Maybe Ince can get the best out of him on a consistent basis.

What have they done with The real Axe?

Looked like a different player completely yesterday. Couple of well-timed tackles that led to attacks for us and he even dribbled past a player on one occassion and his passing seemed vastly improved. If he keeps the level of form up he definately deserves to keep his place but we've seen him have good game before but which is usual followed by a not so good one, so we'll have to wait and see.

We can't play Ooijer at RB in my opinion, any left winger with any pace we'll be past him easily as was shown for the second Everton goal yesterday.

On the basis of MOTD highlights, our crossing looks a lot better than before. Reid and Warnock looked very effective in getting balls in the right areas. Looks like a 4-4-2 set up with plenty of width. Good signs for me, esp if MGP gets going again, and Reid keeps getting good shape on his crossing. Taylor made for RSC to notch with his head, he had two great chances to do before Dunnies opener.

I'll reserve judgement till we're at least 10 games in but it's very encouraging.

I remember when Mokoena first signed and people were hailing him as the saviour and bigging up Hughes to be a genius for finding him. He's never been as bad as people make out, he's just a no-thrills player who can do a job.

What happened next has rarely been seen throughout my 38 seasons as a Roverite. The whole team saluted the away fans and this just emphasised to me that we have a lot going at our Club.

Whatever the Daily Mail write next about negativity inside Rovers camp it can simply be dismissed as

A truly excellent post Sir, and i echo the sentiments - Especially the one quoted.

I'm not going to pretend that one game gives us a prediction of "how the season will now be phenomenal with our new attractive style", but it was the togetherness of the squad that impressed me. They are quite clearly a squad that are aware of the rumblings of the press, and are not simply putting on a brave face but are a indeed a good unit that is aware of the fear in our fans. However, the celebrations were not by any stretch of the imagination a publicity stunt, they were obviously the signs of a squad that really does have that will to succeed as a group and needs us to see that.

I believe we may actually have that siege mentality right now, which bodes well with regards to the attitude we will see over the coming months - Dare I say the bad press we have been having may end up working to our benefit?

I agree, I was delighted to see how genuine the spirit looked at the end of the game. Was really good to see Dunn, Nelsen n Reid throw their shirts into the crowd and robo give his gloves away. Also just the general hugs n smiles at the end suggested that the reported dis-harmony amongst the camp may be far from the opposite.

Although did anyone see Ooijer's interview on SSN after the game? He was asked about the apparent reports of problems within the camp and he didn't deny when asked bluntly if the reports were simply rubbish. Maybe yesterday was a big turning point for the team...either way was a great game and an excellent start for Ince

Thought I would write my peice after a superb day out in the City of Culture.

Yesterday, as I was having my pre drink breakfast, I couldnt fail not to get a little bit excited about the opening game of the season being upon us, add that to the fact it was my best mates 40th and a short trip to Prague beckons on Monday, I still felt a little "unecited" about the status of my beloved Rovers - I mean having read all the tripe about our team, all the unrest and every bit of tripe spouted in the media by the experts. I even had a tinge of sadness in reading that Rovers were tipped to the win the Carling Cup by 1 tipster yet seemed relegation fodder to several other journos !

So I scoffed my bacon grill and egg toastie contemplating the recent headlines.

"Rovers have no soul"

"Benni demands transfer to Sunderland"

"RSC wants to go to City"

"No dressing room camaderie at Ewood"

"Ince is a loser"

"Rovers have no money"

"Warnock wants out to Newcastle"

"Rovers can only shop in Division 3"

You know the type of headlines I am talking about.

And there you go...the media just love us to pieces.

You've changed your stance on Ince more often than I have my socks these last few weeks.

He has indeed. I've noticed the same EiT. :rolleyes:

An excellent opening day performance and result providing the whole club with a welcome 'fillip' (as opposed to a dithering Philip) after a horrible close season....... But it'll take me considerably longer to come around to Paul Ince being in charge of BRFC than just one match.

Really pleased with the result. Good time or not to play everton, they've some very good players and will battle hard so well done rovers. Only caught the highlights on MOTD, and was rather suprised to see we weren't on last either.

Ince's first team selection was quite suprising - Ooijer in at right back, Reid at right midfield, Mokoena in centre mid - all of which I had misgivings about. Having said that, all three seem to have been the right call. Reid's crossing seemed the best I've ever seen it, Mokoena was apparently brilliant, and Ooijer looked very solid and got the winner. In all cases Ince's selection seemed vindicated. Having the battling qualities and superior defending of Reid and Ooijer on the right hand side (as oppose to Simpson and Derbs) seemed to be the right move and worked well in the game. Against other teams I'm not so sure in that combination, but for today it worked.

Robinson looked a tad dodge especially at crosses from the highlights, and looking at the bench, it wasn't packed with quality options (up front aside) so a couple of additions before the transfer window closes could make all the difference.

Overall I'm still not convinced by Ince (especially his comments on Fowler) but today showed that he's not totally inept, and whilst the misgivings still have to be silenced, it's qually true that there is a lot of credance in the positive attributes that Ince possesses which got him the job.

I'm sorry - I thought that 'has got a gem in PI' was a reference to our new manager, only 3 days after posting that things were 'very very wrong' at Ewood?

I have just been surprised that someone known for being pro everything at Ewood was swayed by the baying hounds

You're wrong , Exiled .....

What Philipl wrote on the 14th August was in fact very supportive of Ince . -_-

(I quote )

"We have got a Manager who

-doesn't know the market

-has minimal contacts at our level amazingly (must have nutted all who could have been helpful from his Manc, Inter and Liverpool days)

-didn't know the players he was taking on.

He is reverting to his own "knowns" for his own security and dithering like crazy about the unknowns; loans offered for pineapple, annan, zigic, simpson and trials galore.

At least he hasn't blown £7m on a Grabi but Souness had the personality to secure Andy Cole whilst he was still pretty good............... "

You're wrong , Exiled .....

What Philipl wrote on the 14th August was in fact very supportive of Ince . -_-

(I quote )

"We have got a Manager who

-doesn't know the market

-has minimal contacts at our level amazingly (must have nutted all who could have been helpful from his Manc, Inter and Liverpool days)

-didn't know the players he was taking on.

He is reverting to his own "knowns" for his own security and dithering like crazy about the unknowns; loans offered for pineapple, annan, zigic, simpson and trials galore.

At least he hasn't blown £7m on a Grabi but Souness had the personality to secure Andy Cole whilst he was still pretty good............... "

I stand 100% by that- watch Fowler, Andrews and nobody else come in next week. My suggestion of a director of football needs considering on the transfer front.

However, thank heavens Ince can set up a team to play excellent football which we saw hints of in Portugal and a great example yesterday at Goodison and seems to have got the lads behind him.

I stand 100% by that- watch Fowler, Andrews and nobody else come in next week. My suggestion of a director of football needs considering on the transfer front.

Fully hope your right on the Andrews Fowler possibilities, but why create extra outgoing expense on a director of football who could have totally conflicting ideas on players than the current management team, its a no brainer philpl.

The current management team will have to live or die by their own recruitment decisions.

Fully hope your right on the Andrews Fowler possibilities, but why create extra outgoing expense on a director of football who could have totally conflicting ideas on players than the current management team, its a no brainer philpl.

The current management team will have to live or die by their own recruitment decisions.

All directors of football appear to do is either stay away and play golf (KMD) of fall out with the manager like Wise and Arneson etc. A manager should manage the team and select the players he wants / doesn't want and liase with the CE on those issues.

Just to temper things about yesterday we were playing a team with quality in it: no one can deny Yakubu, Arteta, Osman, Jagielka are all either excellent or decent players. Yet there wasn't much in Everton of what we consistently have trouble with: pace.

You have to feel if we were playing a team with genuine pace what happend in the first half where we dominated things by playing far up the pitch just would not of plausible. Ooijer and Nelsen would find it difficult to cope. Against the likes of Portsmouth and Villa we could well struggle.

Overall the perforamance yesterday was hugely impressive but I will reserve judgement - although I will fully back the team as always - until the end of September where we will have played a teams with a range of strengths and styles.

All that said, albeit against a weakened team forced to play some younger players and one up front, the performances extreacted form some of our weaker players were extraordinary - particularly Mokoena and Roberts. I am a fan of the latter (particularly because his work off the ball has always been good) but he looked like a real talent on the ball. Mokoena showed an awesome level of physicality and guarded the four with real discipline. All the more impressie as it is clear he is for the chop - Ince is clearly looking for a new defensive midfielder.

Well done Ince and Rovers as a whole.

I was very dubious about Ince's appointment (I still have reservations) and I'm very worried about the general lack of investment in the team BUT I was thrilled with yesterday's result. We did so well to get ourselves back into it following Yakubu's goal and Santa Cruz in particular remains crucial to our success this season. The club would be absolutely crazy to sell this guy.

But it'll take me considerably longer to come around to Paul Ince being in charge of BRFC than just one match.

Why so TND, you seemed content to slaughter him one match at a time. :D That is all I will say on the matter. Just watched the game, thought we looked quite good. Had a funny feeling we'd blown our chance though when the second went in for Everton, I can't remember the last time we dominated a half so easily. We still managed to to go in tied at halftime. Positive stuff though, liked the footy too.

The end of the transfer window can't come soon enough.

Apparently RFW's eyes never left RSC during the entire match even when Everton had the ball.

This week, United are going to ditch Berbatov and go for Santa Cruz.

Ok haven’t posted yet – just read back to about page 15 for all the reaction.

Was at the game and have to say it was excellent. The spirit was excellent, our passing and moving was excellent and our support was top class. The players at the end of the game were also excellent. Everton were poor and will struggle for top 8 with that squad, where as Ince's tactics were top notch.

Cracking day out, good laugh in the pub across from the ground before the game with a few Evertonians a great time to score a winner.

Now im not going to get over excited and say we are going to end up 4th but we really did play with much more attacking prowess.

Big Mentions must go to – The Axe, Dunn and Jason Roberts.

Mokoena aka THE AXE was different class to anything we have seen from him in the pass, quick precise passing, breaking up play well and providing excellent cover infront of the defence. God knows where is passing has appeared from but keep it up, defiantly worth a squad place on this performance.

Roberts – Very good at holding the ball up, did plenty of chasing of the ball and also had that very good mazy run. Only two gripes about him is that he needs to stop complaining about people holding him, because he is surely strong enough to shake them off and the second is that he needs to work on how to finish a chance. If he could sort half of that problem out then he would probably get 15 goals a year for us.

Dunn – Much improved, ran around like mad in the 1st half, never stopped trying to be involved and also scored a peach of a goal. Seems to be a lot thinner and abit fitter too. Still only a 70 minute player however as he does tire as the game wears on.

As for the rest – Gamst played well, RSC was class as usual – however could have done better with his headed chances in the 1st half. Reid put over 4 or 5 pin point crosses as did Warnock. Oijer did a lot of supporting work for Reid too. Samba/ Nelsen looked improved and will get more solid with more games. Robinson did well and will grow as he gains more and more confidence from his new fans.

After reading other posts – 1st Goal – Robinson was unlucky, not many keepers would of got that, he cant cover the whole goal, hence the wall, and Arteta’s freekick was sublime – Friedel wouldn’t of got to it either anyway. 2nd Goal Warnock got out muscled by the Yak, shame as otherwise he had a very good game.

As for the fans – Everton were almost silent, rovers fans were on top note. Best part of the day had to be when it went from 2-1 to 2-2. We had a big chant thrown at us of “feed the Yak and he will score” (which we could maybe pinch for Roque???) to the chants of “Roque, Roque, Roque” within about 30 seconds– it felt at the time that it was like a knockout blow for them too, and thankfully we went on to win from it!

At the end the players threw their shirts in, and robbo his gloves. Now im sure after Saturday the team spirit is very good, also felt that on Thursday at the kit release and I think if the Rovers fans keep singing for him, Robbo will also improve as time goes on.

Also not sure who it was, but 2 rows behind us there were a line of people in suits etc, one looked like he may be a player (a young black lad) possibly with his agent?? Anyone else see him or have any ideas who he was?

All in all a cracking day – well done Ince for his positive tactics and also having the balls to take a tired Gamst off and give a youngster a chance.

Archived