BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Everton Preview

I can't believe people are talking about this so much!

I honestly don't care if Nelson was 20 yards offside, have a look at the result, Ooijer's goal counted, we won the game and got 3 points, happy days!

For the record Nelson was probably about a foot offside when Warnock took the free kick, just one of the many touch and go offside decisions you will see this season, a goal won't always come of it, this time it did.

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have now watched Football First and enjoyed it greatly.

Nelson is obviously a way offside. However watch the link again and watch Nelson from the start to see why he ends up so far offside. He tries to move onside and the defender (Yobo?) pushes him out the way. So techinically we should have had a penalty.

Don't know why Nelson pauses then decides to run further offside though!

I knew Nelsen was offside because I've seen the goal a few times already, but i did you the courtesy of watching the clip again - and this time I froze the picture as Warnock hit the ball.

Guess what, Nelsen was offside!

Why can't you see that?

Was pretty much about to post the same thing.

I apologise for saying that T4E was our version of the Iraqi information minister, it really is Philip.

Don't understand the level of debate on whether it SHOULD have been given offside or not, it was on-side because the referee gave it. End of.

No doubt we might get one or two more decisions in our favour before the end of the season. And a few howlers given against us I'm sure.

I have now watched Football First and enjoyed it greatly.

Nelson is obviously a way offside. However watch the link again and watch Nelson from the start to see why he ends up so far offside. He tries to move onside and the defender (Yobo?) pushes him out the way. So techinically we should have had a penalty.

Don't know why Nelson pauses then decides to run further offside though!

Yes I noticed the pushing at the game he must of pushed Nelsen four or five times so if he was offside blame Yobo the dirty git he shouldn't be raising his hands.

nelsenonside.jpg

A quick freeze frame shows that Phil is absolutely right. The defender behing Nelsen with both arms up in the air is actually playing him onside after all.

Despite the fact that the defender seems to be at least 9 foot tall, you'll probably have to enlarge the photo to see him properly.

Only seen the Nelsen goal once so don't know if offside or not.

However, did nobody notice Davies's goal for Bolton - think it was Nolan looked to be in an offside position in front of the keeper.

Just shows what the 'pig's' ear the law is.

Was pretty much about to post the same thing.

I apologise for saying that T4E was our version of the Iraqi information minister, it really is Philip.

I forgive you.

B11 :lol:

That guy is huge. We should sign him. I bet he'd come to us.

Who has actually bid for him? List them.

nelsenonside.jpg

A quick freeze frame shows that Phil is absolutely right. The defender behing Nelsen with both arms up in the air is actually playing him onside after all.

Despite the fact that the defender seems to be at least 9 foot tall, you'll probably have to enlarge the photo to see him properly.

sorry, Bellamy, Nelsen is not offside at that point.

According to the the laws, he's only offside when he touchs the ball.

nelsenonside.jpg

:D :D

I think a few have missed this Bellars.

I may be mistaken here but isn't the "active" / "inactive" interpretation playing a part here. (You may think the law is rubbish, but it's the one in force at the moment. Whether or not it's a bad law is for another debate.)

If Nelsen was offside when Warnock took the free kick, but he moved away from the Everton goal & the Everton defence moved back towards their goal so that Nelsen was onside when he headed the ball, then doesn't this fall under the "active/inactive" interpretation of the offside law?

It's not the active/inactive thing. That's only for when an offside player either doesn't touch the ball at all, or gets involved with the play in another 'phase of play' (a different and more complicated argument altogether, thankfully not applicable here).

It's rather like Henry & Van Nistelroy & others who used to stand in offside positions as free kicks were taken in the hope of confusing defenders. As soon as the free kick was taken they'd get themselves back onside.

Or am I missing something here?

Their tactics were to stand offside then get back onside half a second or so before the ball was struck, there's never been anything in the law (new or old) that has counted that as offside.

The Nelsen situation is nothing but an old fashioned offside. The kick was taken, he was behind the defence, he then headed it. Nothing has ever been changed in the rules about those situations, it's as black and white as you can get for offside.

So...to answer the last sentence, yes you are. :)

I write that having access to the FA guide for offsides and various other things by the way, I'm not just blabbering off the top of my head, although it does sound like it I admit.

The Nelsen situation is nothing but an old fashioned offside. The kick was taken, he was behind the defence, he then headed it. Nothing has ever been changed in the rules about those situations, it's as black and white as you can get for offside.

Correct.

So my point was, why did MOTD waste their time asking Dermot Gallagher [i think it was him], why the flag didn't go up? What on earth did they expect him to say?

A far more interesting question would have been about the referee's interpretation of "hand ball". Must it be intentional, - and if so, how could Reid be penalised for hand ball, when he was looking the other way? Who's the brains behind MOTD? <_<

It's about this handball rule was sorted out and made more consistent to the refs , players and fans alike . I've always thought a good idea would be for it to be handball only if it was either obviously deliberate or if the ball was on target to the goal - ie , a goal scoring opportunity .

Just seen your photo , Bellamy .......still laughing :lol:

Archived