BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Sparky - Not A Great Manager?

Rocky's desperate to prove his recouperration from his knee surgery. Given even a half chance, he'll be there for the last couple of games.

Or, has his agent already done a decent enough job in persuading potential suitors that RSC will be fully fit for next season, and therefore he wants to avoid playing at all costs in order to not shatter the illusion?

• Replies 994
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or, has his agent already done a decent enough job in persuading potential suitors that RSC will be fully fit for next season, and therefore he wants to avoid playing at all costs in order to not shatter the illusion?

Well possibly that as well!

Hopefully a bidding war starts for him bumping up his price tag. If you were to believe the papers, there are at least four 'big clubs' interested. If we get anywhere near the £18m that Man City were offering in January then we'll be laughing.

Who will replace him though..? That's the more pressing issue.

Hopefully a bidding war starts for him bumping up his price tag. If you were to believe the papers, there are at least four 'big clubs' interested. If we get anywhere near the £18m that Man City were offering in January then we'll be laughing.

four clubs??? sounds like the rule of three has been broken!?!

I think allardyce will have a pretty clear idea of who he wants and whether they might be willing to come by now. It's getting the maximum amount of cash as soon as possible that's the issue. We don't want to be messing around at the far end of the transfer window with the season already started and still trying to sell him. If he's going, from our point of view, it needs to be as soon as possible.

I'm sure that he will be gone come summer but if clubs are wary given the current financial situation then he may have to prove himself in the autumn for the Jan window.

I'm sure that he will be gone come summer but if clubs are wary given the current financial situation then he may have to prove himself in the autumn for the Jan window.

If thats the case then everyone wins IMO.

Seems Mr Hughes is not happy. The media don't love him enough. He's not getting enough credit for what he's doing at City. Don't you feel sorry for him? All that lovely money to spend and nobody thinks he's doing a particularly good job.

Seems Mr Hughes is not happy. The media don't love him enough. He's not getting enough credit for what he's doing at City. Don't you feel sorry for him? All that lovely money to spend and nobody thinks he's doing a particularly good job.

Jumping before he's pushed?

Actually, if you do the same exercise as has been done with Big Sam in comparing track records at different clubs, whilst Sam's track records at Newcastle and Rovers are nearly identical, I am sure Sparky's "achievements" at Citeh are rubbish compared with his WDL ratios and average points record at Rovers.

And yes, he spent net around ten times as much at Citeh as he did at Rovers.... about the same spending ratio between Newcastle and Rovers that Sam has had to date.

Put that little lot together and Sparky should get fired.

Saw his press conference on SSN and he seemed quite grumpy. Asked about Tevez and said he dosn't comment on other team's players. Hmmmmm.......

Have read Sparky's comments, his comments are similar to when he was here, in that he (or the club) are not getting the credit they have deserved.

He is right in saying that Harry Redknapp has had all the plaudits, look at the amount he was able to spend in January (not saying Hughes should be getting credit for the job he has done by the way).

What about the job Big Sam has done by spending pretty much FA?

• Backroom

Too right Nicko he'll be lucky for me if he keeps his job. Doesn't deserve to. The amount he's spent on an already mid table team and the results he's achieved does not compute in my opinion.

Manchester City - 14 wins, 17 defeats in the Premier League.

Put out of Carling Cup by Brighton.

Put out of FA Cup by the mighty Nottingham Forest.

'Enough credit' did someone say?

City now worse than when sven was at the helm.away from home guttless.

Only two away wins and TWELVE defeats away from home for Citeh this season - and it should have been thirteen if we hadn't gifted them a point at Christmas.

Not good. At all.

Hughes was superb for us but it hasn't really clicked for him yet at Citeh. Wonder if he'll one of those managers who's great at one Club but not at any others?

On balance though, if he's allowed to survive in the short term, I think he's got too much about him not to be reasonably succesful. Looking at it from the outside, his main problem seems to be having marquis players costing a fortune imposed on him by the owners, but who don't put it in week in week out.

On balance though, if he's allowed to survive in the short term, I think he's got too much about him not to be reasonably succesful. Looking at it from the outside, his main problem seems to be having marquis players costing a fortune imposed on him by the owners, but who don't put it in week in week out.

...he only has one of those.

I'm kind of happy that City didn't make Europe, because you'd think this would ward off quality players from going to their club - but who am I kidding. The likes of Robinhio will line up at their door "not because of money but because of ambition!", because of course what's more exciting than being at a mid-table team who will always be in the shadow of their city rivals?

But in any case, fantastic that last season Hughes finished 7th with us, but with players like Robinhio and hundreds of millions more he's gonna finish lower at City.

City need a big overhaul - there defence is nowhere near the level of any of the top 4 clubs.

There midfielders they spent big on i.e. De Jong or whatever, are just not worth the money.

Upfront they really could do with someone like Tevez & Santa Cruz.

• 1 month later...

http://www.teamtalk.com/football/story/0,1...5433511,00.html

City manager Mark Hughes indicated Tevez may not be the last big-name arrival at Eastlands this summer.

"There may well be opportunities that present themselves," he said.

"There are areas of the team we still want to strengthen.

"We would like to obviously be in a position at the beginning of the season to have a team in place that we think can challenge this year.

"If opportunities present themselves we could possibly buy more players."

When asked whether Tevez represents good value for money, Hughes replied: "Absolutely, for Manchester City, it's absolutely good value.

"From our point of view, where we are in our development, to be able to bring one of the top strikers in world football to our club is a fantastic thing for us as a club, for our fans and everybody connected with Manchester City.

"We're absolutely delighted that Carlos is here."

I do acknowledge that Hughes was a fantastic manager (and scout!) for us, but Sam seems like a stand-up comedian or professional entertainer in comparison to Mark "Almost As Boring As Alan Curbishley" Hughes. I'd almost forgotten the constant abuse of words like "obviously" and "absolutely" and that dull, monotonous voice.

Archived