BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why 12? Just pick a random number?

There is past suspension levels that have to be considered. 3 is a fair suspension for a stamp.

Well I was thinking a ten game ban for not merely a stamp, but a stamp TO THE FACE, and then remembered how disgusting his overall behaviour was that day and added a further two.

Out of interest, how long was Roy Keane's ban when he admitted to break that dude's leg?

Three games out for an intentional stamp to the face? It's not like a few studs on the leg, he could have bloody blinded him!

Agreed. He should be removed from play for a lengthy period. Hit him in the pocket book and force his team to do without for a good part of the season. And if RVP engages in shennigans in the future, hit him with a ban too. The game needs to be cleaned up or someone will get permenantely maimed, and its not like these arrogant, half delusional athletes are going to govern themselves.

Well I was thinking a ten game ban for not merely a stamp, but a stamp TO THE FACE, and then remembered how disgusting his overall behaviour was that day and added a further two.

The problem the FA have is that they have handed out bans for these sorts of offences before, i.e. Gary Neville's celebration in front of Liverpool fans £5k fine, no ban and stamping has varied a bit but largely comes in about 3 games.

I agree it was a horrendous thing to do and he should be banned but 12 games just seems a bit heavy and there is no chance that if it was a Man Utd/Big 4 player the same punishment would be handed out.

Agree - Red Card punishment of 3 games, big fine, and a warning about future conduct. Maybe add an extra game to the ban for inciting the crowd....4 max

Also it was Van Persie - so maybe he should just get a suspended ban for doing everyone a favour :P

Out of interest, how long was Roy Keane's ban when he admitted to break that dude's leg?

Three games out for an intentional stamp to the face? It's not like a few studs on the leg, he could have bloody blinded him!

It looked bad thats for sure but personally speaking I never ever deem instantaneous retaliation anywhere near as bad as premeditated violent play. He'd been two footed from the back by RVP and instinctively lashed out. Therefore in my book RVP's action deserves the bigger punishment and it's high time that football adopted this view instead of deeming retaliation to be a hanging offence.

Rem RVP did similar to Nelsen 2 years ago and that was completely premeditated too. I hate poofy players who like to give it but cannot take it. It's cowardly, very 'foreign' and so different from the honest give it and take it approach adopted by the likes of Flitty, Batty, Neil, Warnock and Todd. I hate dirty players but I have no issue at all with hard ones. There is a world of difference.

You are wrong tcj. There is no comparison. Again Keane's was planned and premeditated, Adebayors was not. Keanes was therefore a far worse offence imo. If Adebayor gets a ban then RVP should receive at least the same otherwise it's just a cowards charter. I'm sure that the slo-mo brigade will hand Adebayor out to dry though.... unless of course the Ayrabs can promise to splash some cash the FA's way. ;)

Was that a stamp to the face though ?!

10 Match ban for the stamp, additional 3 match ban for the celebration.

A stamp is a stamp, unless its on an envelope. The only incident I can think of that comes close to what your saying is Ben Thatcher, but even that was a far worse incident IMO. Adebayor shouldn't have done it but it was just a heat of the moment thing which judging by his body language he instantly regretted and then other actions . It is comparible to kicking out at someone after they have gone past you, only difference if RVP left his face there, shame really :P

He shouldn't be banned for his celebration. Players get enough crap from fans that it is good to see them get some back for a change. A fine and warning about future behaviour is sufficient for that. He will be slatted in the return game, hope he gets a hat trick :lol:

It is great to see Arsenal get some of what they have dished out over the years, until they became a diving team.

What a bag of ###### Adebayor is.

That is one of the ugliest things I've seen in a long time.

Van Persies two-footed lunge leading up to the stamp isn't all that nice either... It's all a chain of reactions really, van Persie and Bentner had been dealing out attacks like that two footer all game to their old mate Adebayor, and when he reacted it gets taken up in the media and no he's probably facing a ban. Mission completed on Arsenals behalf.

From a different angle:

video3.gif

I know some people go on about the abuse he received from Arsenal fans buts its no excuse trying to provoke them, someone could have been seriously injured in the stands if it really had kicked off.

That angle looks like he could have just fallen onto him - the other shows him kick out towards the face of Van Persie.

Who could have got hurt City or Arsenal fans?! :lol: Shame it didnt!!

The problem the FA have is that they have handed out bans for these sorts of offences before, i.e. Gary Neville's celebration in front of Liverpool fans £5k fine, no ban and stamping has varied a bit but largely comes in about 3 games.

I agree it was a horrendous thing to do and he should be banned but 12 games just seems a bit heavy and there is no chance that if it was a Man Utd/Big 4 player the same punishment would be handed out.

True, but Neville didn't run the full length of the pitch in order to do it. To be honest, it wasn't merely the celebration that got my back up, more his overall demeanor on the day - walking around the Arsenal half prior to kick off and trying to wind up his former team mates etc.

It looked bad thats for sure but personally speaking I never ever deem instantaneous retaliation anywhere near as bad as premeditated violent play.

He'd been two footed from the back by RVP and instinctively lashed out. Therefore in my book RVP's action deserves the bigger punishment and it's high time that football adopted this view instead of deeming retaliation to be a hanging offence.

Oh absolutely, I totally agree with your first point. So often the retaliation will get an equal or more severe punishment than the original offence, when not warranted at all.

However, if you look at the replays, RVP's foul wasn't two-footed, nor in any way violent. I don't doubt that he was pretty frustrated and was looking to rough Ade up a bit, but that kinda thing happens week in, week out in every league in the world. A yellow card at most.

You are wrong tcj. There is no comparison. Again Keane's was planned and premeditated, Adebayors was not. Keanes was therefore a far worse offence imo. If Adebayor gets a ban then RVP should receive at least the same otherwise it's just a cowards charter. I'm sure that the slo-mo brigade will hand Adebayor out to dry though.... unless of course the Ayrabs can promise to splash some cash the FA's way. ;)

Theno, I wasn't actually comparing the two, it was just a point of curiosity. Kicking out or stamping is one thing, but when it's intentional and directed at the FACE, then that's a different matter. It was horrific. Again, I reckon you might change your mind when you see the replay of RVP's tackle.

Was that a stamp to the face though ?!

If it wasn't a stamp, then it was an attempt to rake his studs down RVP's face. I dunno which is worse TBH.

If it wasn't a stamp, then it was an attempt to rake his studs down RVP's face. I dunno which is worse TBH.

From the angle Hughsey posted on here, it looked to me like he was going for RVP's outstretched hand on the floor. Definitely a stamp for me.

The media are sucking up to City still though, so he'll probably be let off. Lewis this morning on Talksport was suggesting that it was blown out of all proportion and simply Arsenal trying to cover up their failing to match City. That guy beggars belief.

Adebayor should get a ban for the celebration, he'll probably get away with the stamp.

As for the games, City do look to be a different proposition this season, they have some very good players, and will challenge the top 4. Chelsea got lucky. Portsmouth did not. Hull were awful, Sunderland average. Everton weren't the best either, Moyes needs to turn it around or his media darling status will crumble rapidly. Spurs capitulated at the sight of Man U again. But most importantly, we're off the mark.

Oh absolutely, I totally agree with your first point. So often the retaliation will get an equal or more severe punishment than the original offence, when not warranted at all.

Unfortunately, if you make retaliation the lesser crime, you would be condoning players taking the law into their own hands.

At times it seems unfair, but retaliation only makes events even worse.

While that is true Den, as with Theno, I believe the retaliatory offence is often far more understandable because it is not premeditated, is usually far less cowardly and committed in the heat of the moment.

I suppose it's one of those things where you just can't win either way.

• Backroom

At least a four match ban is needed, being over dramatic for a second here he could potentially have blinded him or worse.

I have a feeling RVP may take it further after his statement on the Arsenal website if a ban isn't handed out.

The initial tackle was a bookable offence nothing more for me.

From the angle Hughsey posted on here, it looked to me like he was going for RVP's outstretched hand on the floor. Definitely a stamp for me.

I've got to say, when I first saw it on SSN, it looked like he attempted to stamp on his hand. Since then, however, I've seen other, more revealing, angles of the incident that reveal him CLEARLY going for RVP's face. There is no doubt about it, in my mind.

A stamp to the hand is one thing - it's not gonna hurt him an awful lot or risk a real injury - but a stamp / stud raking to the face is a totally different matter.

Well Hughes reckons there was no malice:

http://www.mcfc.co.uk/News/Team-news/2009/...r/Hughes-on-Ade

"Emmanuel Adebayor sustained a tremendous amount of personal abuse from the kick-off but strongly maintains that there was no malice intended in the challenge on Robin Van Persie and apologised to him when he hugged him on leaving the field of play at the end of the game."

I'm sure as others have mentioned, it'll make a difference that it was the face though. I'm sure I read somewhere recently that referees while still encouraged to give red cards to a player that raise a hand and strikes a player on the face but should now only give a yellow card for a mild body attack(E.G a push) so I'm sure the FA definitely treat any kind of attack aimed at the face with a heavier punishment.

I also agree that Van Persie's tackle which provoked him is something that needs to be clamped down upon as well, I don't like what Adebayor did one little bit but it almost certainly wouldn't have happened if Van Persie hadn't gone in so rashly. Adebayor acted on instinct, now of course you have to question whether someone with those kind of instincts don't deserve any punishment they get, but they should definitely start looking at why players do certain things and not just what they do.

The goal celebration however cannot be called so instinctive, initially perhaps but after running 80 or so yards he had plenty of time to change his mind. Now okay the fans gave him some stick, deserved in my opinion, but he knew he was going to incite them and shouldn't be acting so unprofessionally. The FA/Media/Us Fans/Everyone are the first to complain when fans cause problems by either throwing things on the pitch, invading, rioting etc(The recent West Ham and Millwall game showed us that) so you certainly shouldn't have players encouraging them.

I'd have to be looking at giving Adebayor a minmal 5 game ban, a player gets a red for any kind of violent conduct, the stamp to the face should at least make it 4 with a minimum of one game added on for the goal celebration in my humble opinion.

12 certainly does seem excessive but I wouldn't be against it, it'll teach players not to stamp on people's faces which shouldn't be too hard to avoid for most players.

Its one thing to celebrate in front of fans from a team you hate. Its another thing to celebrate liek Adebayor did in front of fans from his former club simply because they gave him stick for under-performing for 12 months when trying to move away from Arsenal, and eventually moving to the highest bidder.

Archived