BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

Its one thing to celebrate in front of fans from a team you hate. Its another thing to celebrate liek Adebayor did in front of fans from his former club simply because they gave him stick for under-performing for 12 months when trying to move away from Arsenal, and eventually moving to the highest bidder.

Is it? Why? Both are designed to incite and aggravate base numpties to who have given over the top stick to certain players.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Adebayor was also sung about for the entire game - singing things about his wife and kids having deseases and how they will die early etc.....

Cant blame his celebration to be honest

There is a difference though, between understanding it and condoning it.

I condone it.

So Adebayor should take responsibility for provoking the fans, but the fans shouldn't take responsibility for provoking a player? Just because the player has to be professional, doesn't mean he's not a human being. There needs to be a crack down on fan behaviour as well, not just Adebayor. I've had a few emotional, adrenalin-filled moments in sport before whenever I've scored a goal or finished 1st in a race... I can only imagine what it feels like to score the winning goal in the Premier League after having to listen to the fans berating him. What I can tell you though is that in that moment he would have very little control. It is extremely difficult to control yourself in an adrenalin-filled moment, everything you do is completely impulsive and it seems quite unreal. You can tell that after he saw what happened, he immediately regretted his actions.

It's easy to criticise, but it's not like Adebayor has the easiest job in the world as far as mental strengths are concerned. It's way too much pressure and stress for any person.

Adebayor is a professional athlete. He's paid millions be physically and mentally ready for the game. Part of the game is dealing with fans acting like jerks. There were no surprises for Adebayor that day.

So I would argue that the fans behavior in no way mitigates Adebayor's. He should be suspended for multiple games (10, IMO) and heavily fined.

Adebayor is a professional athlete. He's paid millions be physically and mentally ready for the game. Part of the game is dealing with fans acting like jerks. There were no surprises for Adebayor that day.

So I would argue that the fans behavior in no way mitigates Adebayor's. He should be suspended for multiple games (10, IMO) and heavily fined.

They're not robots. Adebayor will look back at that game and regret his actions, but again, just because he earns millions of dollars, doesn't mean that he deserves to be continually insulted and taunted by a mass of people and then not expect him to react in any way. The crowd looked riled up before he even got to them, he just seemed to send them over the edge.

Maybe Hughes should've kept Adebayor off the pitch, but he probably didn't have much choice due to a lack of fit strikers.

They're not robots. Adebayor will look back at that game and regret his actions, but again, just because he earns millions of dollars, doesn't mean that he deserves to be continually insulted and taunted by a mass of people and then not expect him to react in any way. The crowd looked riled up before he even got to them, he just seemed to send them over the edge.

Maybe Hughes should've kept Adebayor off the pitch, but he probably didn't have much choice due to a lack of fit strikers.

I agree that they are not robots. And I would not accuse Adebayor of being 'evil'. On the other hand, neither admission results in leniency.

Presumably, Adebayor is reasoning, rational human being. If he is not, he does not belong on the pitch. As a rational, reasoning human being he is responsible for his actions. Responsibility includes accepting the consequences of his behavior. Those consequences should include fines and match bans. If an example is not made, we will get more of this behavior, not less, as the players see this outrageous conduct and the de minimis consequences IF they are called out.

As to Hughes, if he had any inkling of the potential of what occurred, he should have kept Adebayor on the bench. Anything less means he values the score more than he does the health and safety of the fans and players, a contemptible attitude. If your right, he should be heavily sanctioned also.

I agree that they are not robots. And I would not accuse Adebayor of being 'evil'. On the other hand, neither admission results in leniency.

Presumably, Adebayor is reasoning, rational human being. If he is not, he does not belong on the pitch. As a rational, reasoning human being he is responsible for his actions. Responsibility includes accepting the consequences of his behavior. Those consequences should include fines and match bans. If an example is not made, we will get more of this behavior, not less, as the players see this outrageous conduct and the de minimis consequences IF they are called out.

As to Hughes, if he had any inkling of the potential of what occurred, he should have kept Adebayor on the bench. Anything less means he values the score more than he does the health and safety of the fans and players, a contemptible attitude. If your right, he should be heavily sanctioned also.

I agree it's not an acceptable way to behave for Adebayor. I'm just not convinced that a fine or ban will keep players from reacting the way Adebayor did. I'm of the opinion that every person should take responsbility for their own actions, so if provocations continue to occur, then players will continue to react as they do. Bans are just going to be a source of frustration for players.

I'm sure that Adebayor will feel it is unfair for him to celebrate his success, after working hard for it, and get punished for it, while the people causing all the trouble won't get a word said to them and go get into another drunk brawl the next night over something else.

Just for an example from a general work situation that may happen:

Person X is being constantly put down at his job and not treated with respect, and he is offered another job for better money at a rival company, and he takes it. In his new job people treat him with respect and he achieves great success and ends up creating a new product that makes him a legend in his new company and makes his old company lose millions (who all this time were insulting him behind his back and calling him a failure) then he goes to confront one of his bosses and tells them "look what you've missed out on now". We're saying that for going up to his old boss and rubbing it into his face that he should be punished for it... and that doesn't seem right to me. To be honest, I don't think person X should go and taunt his old boss, but he doesn't need to be punished for it either.

I do think he should be banned for the stamp on the face, whatever the reason or intention.

^ Adebayor was inciting a riot. Your hypothetical example is not even close.

And I agree with you that the behavior of the Arsenal fans was not the best. On the other hand, they are not multi-million dollar professionals. Adebayor was the professional and should have acted the part. EPL athletes are paid to be on the pitch, in front of tens of thousands. Sometimes they will be cheered and other times jeered, but at all times they should act like the professionals they are paid to be.

We do agree as to the stamp on the face, which means we are not far apart.

I

Just for an example from a general work situation that may happen:

Person X is being constantly put down at his job and not treated with respect, and he is offered another job for better money at a rival company, and he takes it. In his new job people treat him with respect and he achieves great success and ends up creating a new product that makes him a legend in his new company and makes his old company lose millions (who all this time were insulting him behind his back and calling him a failure) then he goes to confront one of his bosses and tells them "look what you've missed out on now". We're saying that for going up to his old boss and rubbing it into his face that he should be punished for it... and that doesn't seem right to me. To be honest, I don't think person X should go and taunt his old boss, but he doesn't need to be punished for it either.

Cue the part it italics; where Ade's case differs from person X's is that, Ade is put down only after putting in numerous substandard performances and publicly dreaming of a move to another club.

Abuse from the crowd is an occupational hazard for a footballer- goes with the territory.

Does that mean it is acceptable? Why should footballers be subject to personal abuse on a football pitch?

I think it is fair enough to have a general rant but some of things that football fans get away are criminal, like the Millwall fans chanting about Collinson's dead dad. How can you seriously not expect a human being to react to abuse like that?

......... Ade is put down only after putting in numerous substandard performances and publicly dreaming of a move to another club.

Trouble is that Arsenal fans and the massed ranks of media big club brown nosers are not used to that sort of thing. Players wanting to leave is something for small northern clubs to worry about.

I am not condoning abuse from the crowd.

What I am saying is that to allow crowd abuse as a legitimate defense for raking an opponent and running the length of the pitch to wind up the opposition support even more is the road to madness.

I think it needs to be borne in mind that Adebayor did not leave the pitch thereby making a punishment fit a non existent crime is difficult. 'Improper conduct' is hardly at Cantona / Simmonds level is it?

Innocent Arsenal as always. If Adebayor gets done for inciting the crowd then so to should Van Persie.

Maybe they should review the high tackles by Bentner & Van Persie on Adebayor too.

What that'd be fair and even Hughesy, can't have that.

Adebayor deserves whatever he gets, but arsenal and van weasel deserve punnishing too.

• Backroom

Wow there's some hefty bitterness towards Arsenal in here.

Van Persie's tackle was a yellow which he recieved, what's the problem?

Also yes if he sprinted the length of the pitch to wind up the City fans he also deserves a ban but I must admit I didn't see that happen did anyone else?

Fact is Arsenal are the victims in this instance it doesn't matter a single iota what has gone in the past.

Wow there's some hefty bitterness towards Arsenal in here.

Van Persie's tackle was a yellow which he recieved, what's the problem?

Also yes if he sprinted the length of the pitch to wind up the City fans he also deserves a ban but I must admit I didn't see that happen did anyone else?

Fact is Arsenal are the victims in this instance it doesn't matter a single iota what has gone in the past.

Arsenal are hardly the victims in all this. There's just a lot of guilty parties - Adebayor, Hughes for saying it was ok, the arsenal fans, RVP and several other players for their shocking tackles on Adebayor.

Also I'd disagree about their past conduct removing any sympathy for them. Arsenal's thuggery, Wenger's not seeing incidents, and their diving has been a bane on the english game for years.

Archived