BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Watching MOTD saw the highlights of the pompey-everton game. My word were portsmouth unlucky. That seems like relegation type luck, they couldn't have done any more. When your best isn't good enough, it's a worrying sign.

As for the rest, there seem to be a lot of bad teams in the prem - just from tonight I wasn't too impressed by burnley, hull or brum either, and at least one of the teams I've mentioned is going to stay up.

Despite being much weaker on the playing side than this time last season, Martinez has Wigan much better organised and playing appreciably better football than Bruce ever did- not that that is much of a comparison to make.

Do you know, I was watching Martinez' interview on MOTD and couldn't help but wonder if we had the right idea last year but picked the wrong man...

Do you know, I was watching Martinez' interview on MOTD and couldn't help but wonder if we had the right idea last year but picked the wrong man...

That thought is absolutely right.

Unfortunately there were a lot of posts on both MBs which were extremely dismissive when Martinez name appeared in the list of managers being seriously considered.

That thought is absolutely right.

Unfortunately there were a lot of posts on both MBs which were extremely dismissive when Martinez name appeared in the list of managers being seriously considered.

Do you think he could have coped with our (lack of) transfer budget?

He has had a far worse situation to deal with at Wigan. That is a bit of a classic post if you don't mind me saying so!!!

Don't you think Wigan have more money than us? (Don't understand your second sentence so not sure whether to be offended :D )

Excellent result for us but hopefully we will be able to look for the results for the likes of Sunderland rather than Wolves before the season is out.

Next week-end whilst we are at Arsenal, four of the five below us play each other and Hull entertain Wigan so I guess we could be back in the soup rather quickly.

Mention of Wigan and Martinez must be looking enviously at our ability to bring transfers in. Basically, all Wigan's outstanding players have been sold or left and what has come in really was sourced from the remnants bin- I cannot recall any of them costing above £2m despite the huge fees brought in by the likes of Valencia, Cattermole and Palacios- not far short of £40m for just those three for starters.

Excellent result for us but hopefully we will be able to look for the results for the likes of Sunderland rather than Wolves before the season is out.

Next week-end whilst we are at Arsenal, four of the five below us play each other and Hull entertain Wigan so I guess we could be back in the soup rather quickly.

Mention of Wigan and Martinez must be looking enviously at our ability to bring transfers in. Basically, all Wigan's outstanding players have been sold or left and what has come in really was sourced from the remnants bin- I cannot recall any of them costing above £2m despite the huge fees brought in by the likes of Valencia, Cattermole and Palacios- not far short of £40m for just those three for starters.

Ok, I see your point. Similar I supposed to Bentley and Brad going last season.

The one that got away maybe.

5-2 Sunderland, Bent is having a season like Agbonlahar, when your luck is in everything seems to go in

The times they are a changing........ Results this weekend suggest that there is to be a bigger split in the Premier League than there has ever been. The big four are now probably six (no doubt causing consternation in a boardroom or two) and the next group have more purchasing power and are appreciably better than the bottom third.

• Backroom

For the rest of this season my second team is Chelsea now, if they were to win the league and get their spending rights back maybe they may forget about a certain Argentian. :lol:

Was reading this morning that they expect to 'raise' the funds to pay off the debt and add in another 10 million to either pay for players or upgrades to facilities in January.

I guess the supporters' fears are true - he doesn't have the dosh on his own.

I said at the start of the season that the top 9 would be fairly clear cut with United, Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal, Man City, Spurs, Everton, Aston Villa and Sunderland making up that top 9.

Best we can hope for (realistically) at this point is 10th place. I think we'll be challenging for that place along with Fulham, Stoke and possibly Wigan. I have to say I tipped Wigan to struggle, but it looks like Martinez might prove a lot of people wrong. In fact... he already has.

Portsmouth and Hull are goners in my opinion.

Do I detect a little more uncertainty now mick?

<a href="http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?s=&showtopic=21240&view=findpost&p=819931" target="_blank">http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?s=&...st&p=819931</a>

<a href="http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?s=&showtopic=21240&view=findpost&p=819781" target="_blank">http://www.brfcs.co.uk/mb/index.php?s=&...st&p=819781</a>

Who knows what is going on at Upton Park. I cannot honestly believe that Nani and Duxbury had to take a pay cut when we sold Collins on deadline day.

Duxbury seems to have terminal verbal diarrhoea, wouldn't believe a word he says......

Archived