BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Torres really doesn't strike me as someone who would want to leave the Kop for the likes of Real Madrid, maybe if Liverpool haven't won anything for a good couple of seasons.

He has been quoted as saying that there is no way he would ever play for Real Madrid as he used to play for Athletico and he is also a fan. It would be like Dunny going to play for Burnley.

There comes a point in every career where a player makes a choice between moving on or sticking with the club and hoping for the best. Gerrard has stuck with Liverpool and I would say Torres seems pretty loyal, but given a couple more empty seasons and you never know if Barca or someone else come calling.

He has been quoted as saying that there is no way he would ever play for Real Madrid as he used to play for Athletico and he is also a fan. It would be like Dunny going to play for Burnley.

Or Owen playing for Manu.

It's absolutely nothing like Dunny playing for Burnley....If Burnley were Manchester United, then it would be the same. :blush:

The difference is that Torres is in splended form and thus will be in demand/wanted by pretty much all the top clubs. Given his form he's able to command a move to just about wherever he wants to go.

Owen on the other hand was nearly washed up, had just been relegated, had big questions surrounding his fitness, and the opportunity for premiership football wasn't all that certain - definately not at a top or even big club. I'm pretty sure manure were the only top team to throw him a lifeline. In this respect he had to take it.

Barca is deffo less likely for Torres. Growing up in Madrid you learn to hate Barcelona and Catalunya.

The club wasn't really important it could be LA Galaxy. It was more the point that players get to a point where they either stay loyal to the club or try to move to engineer some success before their career ends or in Ryan Giggs' case make that decision without really knowing it.

The difference is that Torres is in splended form and thus will be in demand/wanted by pretty much all the top clubs. Given his form he's able to command a move to just about wherever he wants to go.

Owen on the other hand was nearly washed up, had just been relegated, had big questions surrounding his fitness, and the opportunity for premiership football wasn't all that certain - definately not at a top or even big club. I'm pretty sure manure were the only top team to throw him a lifeline. In this respect he had to take it.

Absolutely. His choice was Man Utd or Everton. Neither is going to go down well on the Kop is it. And your not going to go to Hull in those circumstances just to appease a bit of rivalry. I mean it's his career, which is - when it gets down to it - far more important than any notions of tribalism.

If Burnley make the best (in terms of level of football and wages) offer to Derbs or Dunn in the future they could end up going there. It would have to be significantly better than other things on the table due to their loyalties, but if it added up they would go. Similarly if we had offerd a contract to Chaplow when we were in Europe and Burnely were struggling in the Championship he would certainly have come to Ewood. That's how life works.

If Gerrard suddenly lost form, got injured, lost his contract and the only prem teams that offered him a contract were Everton and Man Utd would he take one? Of course he would.

Lets not be daft. Torres is no different. Loyalty is only an option when you are choosing between two equal destinations.

McAllister's move to Portsmouth breaks down

Apparently they failed to come to an agreement, which I can only assume means Pompey couldn't afford to pay his wages. They're in massive trouble by the looks of it.

My first thought too. Either they can't afford him or he doesn't think it's worth going there because they can't afford anything and will have to sell again.

Archived