BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

Rafa has to take the blame surely. He sold Alonso, replaced him with Aquilani and signed a right back. When all along they need a winger and a top striker!!

As for Pompey - they just seem to get so lucky! 3 new owners in 18 months or so!! :angry:

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rafa has to take the blame surely. He sold Alonso, replaced him with Aquilani and signed a right back. When all along they need a winger and a top striker!!

As for Pompey - they just seem to get so lucky! 3 new owners in 18 months or so!! :angry:

If being rock bottom of the Prem and selling your entire squad is lucky, I prefer to stay unlucky thanks.

Does anyone know how much money the new owners of Pompey have? Are they going to go into the Spurs, Villa, Sunderland spending power bracket. Given the debt I doubt this, but you never know.

Also what on earth is the fit and proper person's test for if someone is allowed to buy a club when they can't afford it? Madness.

Tried to search for the Bentley thread but the search engine could not locate it so sticking this here.

A Spurs connection suggested I had a look at this blog. Looks like Rovers might not be getting any of the £2m contingent fee negotiated on the Bentley sale over the £15m up front. Again the suggestion that the best bet is for Rovers to take him back- sadly not likely.

Incidentally, one of the reasons for Arsenal's £36.5m profit last year; the sell-on clause for David Bentley according to Arsenal's recently published accounts.

Not related to any of the above but an astonishingly sensible piece by Martin Samuel.

Well even if he is affordable - which he isn't - there is no point in getting him. With Diuf, Hoilett, Emerton, Doran, Van Heerden we are rather over stocked on right wing. We need to sign either someone on the left or a top quality allrounder in the middle of the park.

But basically we are broke until the increased Sky money comes in so we will wee with the willy we have. Gutting if we don't get the extra 2m. We need that.

So now Birmingham have a billionaire, Further down the spiral we go, If anyone has connections with the trust please can you suggest they try another company to help find buyers as Rothchilds clearly have failed.

Yeung struggled and failed to buy Brum two years ago so is not in the Abu Dhabi class nor are the Saudis who bought Pompey. Both might though be in the transfer market with some cash in January but I would be surprised if either are going to be cranking up wages like crazy.

Here is an astonishing quote from Jeff Winters. Man U might stop getting favourable decisions at OT because RFW called Wiley a fat old fart or something.

Maybe others know different but from what I have been told by Brum fans this guy has very little in the way of funds. He is stating his intent by offering a massive "£5m" transfer pot for January. He is backed by 2 hefty chinese backers, but just seems interested in picking the players they buy and maybe soon the team?

Here is an astonishing quote from Jeff Winters. Man U might stop getting favourable decisions at OT because RFW called Wiley a fat old fart or something.

RFW's bloody right! It's obvious watching the fat little buggger trying to run. Go back to the post Arsenal home match thread a full 2 years ago and I suggested that the Blackburn End should have sung 'Burst in a minute.... he's going to burst in a minute' to the tune of 'score in a minute' to the little fat git. He waddled about the pitch like he'd borrowed Gazza's strap on fat woman top to wear under his shirt.

I'm with Sam, we have the richest league in the world with the best paid players so it's obvious that we should pay for the worlds best referees. It's only logical and especially in the light of the numpty performances our 'finest' put in every major tournament..... Rem Poll and Riley were both on the next plane home after their best efforts were less than appreciated.

I've got to admit, I understand where Fergie is coming from - it's almost disrespectful to the players, managers and the fans to be so over-weight when physical fitness is a pre-requisite of your profession.

Not that Fergie really cares, he's quite clearly trying to deflect criticism away from his own players and doesn't mind getting himself into trouble in the process. Oh, and again, it's worked.

RFW's bloody right!

Clearly he isn't. Don't have the Arsenal game stats but I'd be willing to guess your wrong as well.

But Prozone match statistics contradict Ferguson's accusations and prove Wiley to be in strong physical shape.

Wiley covered 11,039.1 metres in the match compared with 10,700 for the average player. He was also only ever an average of 17.7m from the ball - elite referees are permitted to be as far as 20m away on average.

Article

Is it a case of, a club being in a spot of bother, before somebody purchasing that club? Rovers are in a much healthier position financially, for prospective buyers to look at than Pompey. However, because of their situation they now have on and off field problems. Add to that, how did their new owner pass the fit and proper test? The FA to an extent, has lost the plot completely.

I think the new new owner passes fit and proper with no problems.

The old new owner struggled to get through and as the article says, for some reason Gaydamak was adamant about only selling to him or probably the PL would have said no thanks.

There is no doubt that the ratcheting up of PL's financial rules which are already in place came about both because of what Platini is up to but also because Wham, Pompey and Newcastle are the sort of embarassments a £1bn+ industry (which is what the PL turns over collectively each year) really should be able to manage without.

And that's before looking under the hood at Liverpool and Man U.

And yet no-one will pay for their financial troubles and go bust. Only clubs the size of Accy Stanley, Bournemouth etc. risk going under, as the FA couldn't give a crap about them. Premier league clubs can rack up debts and wait to be rescued by some Arab bloke, Russian arms dealers with interesting interpretations of tax laws or some other shady foreigner. All we need now is Berlosconi to buy a club as a feeder for AC Milan, then we'll have it all confirmed. The Premier League and the FA are not interested in the long term future of football, just money and the latest quick fix.

• Backroom

[removed: football discussion please]

In other news I was reading an article on the Mail online today about the 50 worst strikers in Premier league history, so far between numbers 50-21 we have 4 representatives in Stead, Jeffers, Dahlin and Grabbi.

I felt it was a little harsh on stead personally

Archived