BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Birmingham promised a £40 million transfer kitty, how long can we last without a major transfer kitty...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/b/birmingham_city/8308822.stm

Unusually sensationalist crap from the Beeb.

"My first plan is to support the club for about £20-£40m for players and wages in January"

Wages...a player on £40k a week over four years comes to over £8 million. A couple of those and that's £16 million gone. They'll be lucky if he goes to £40 million as well, I bet it's nearer £20m.

They won't get more than a couple of decent players out of it - McLeish has already said he won't pay big transfer fees.

We seem to be the only set of fans who talk about wage costs in the same breath as transfer fees. Are we really clued up, or do we just worry about it more than most?

"My first plan is to support the club for about £20-£40m for players and wages in January"

It's not just us - that is Birmingham's new owner saying that.

Profile of Carsen Yeung

Yet another English PL club possibly to be up to its eyes in debt as a result of a take over. How on earth did that one pass the PL's new tougher tests?

You seem to know your stuff so can you tell me how it's possible for them to spend £40 million?if in massive load of debt , Also do you think JW is doing enough to help sell the club? my point being that old Portmouth chairman Al Fahim owned the club for 3 months and managed to sell the club to some billionaire and they have a pony ground, even worse training facilities and where bottom of the league with 7 defeats. People may say there new owner is dodgy but i don't hear of anyone showing any real interest in Rovers??

You seem to know your stuff so can you tell me how it's possible for them to spend £40 million?if in massive load of debt , Also do you think JW is doing enough to help sell the club? my point being that old Portmouth chairman Al Fahim owned the club for 3 months and managed to sell the club to some billionaire and they have a pony ground, even worse training facilities and where bottom of the league with 7 defeats. People may say there new owner is dodgy but i don't hear of anyone showing any real interest in Rovers??

Thus far Mr Yeung seems to be a hair saloon short of a comb or two.

The original bid for Brum was a farce- if I remember he left £29m behind when it collaspsed although he did retain a small shareholding.

Now it seems the money they raised to get rid of Gold, Sullivan and Brady was borrowed whoch presumably needs to be paid back with interest.

The very fact he has said £40m (small print is £20m to £40m for transfer fees and wages for the entire player contract) is stupid in the extreme. Wherever Brum go looking now, the price will go up by a few million and the wages by ten grand a week!

So the £40m is not real and if we pick the mid-number of £30m then the chances are that £15m+ of that is going to be spent over the next four years in wages. When he borrowed the £80m for the take over, he probably got £100m of which £20m is going to be splurged on transfers and increased wages in the second half of this season leaving Brum with the headache of funding an additional £5m+ in wages and £10m in interest next season.

That's my best guess.

There is a very detailed analysis of Pompey here including a break down of the £50m they still owe and how Gaydamak is still owed a great deal and owns Pompey's land.

Two things become very clear:

- the latest owners are not wealthy and are scrabbling round to raise more debt. So even if Pompey have cash in January it will be borrowed on the never never.

- foreign owners are just as seduced by the PL as British ones ever were. In fact there are proportionately far more dafter overseas "buyers" lining up for the kudos of having a PL club without even remotely having the cash or practically anything else that is needed to support their egotistical ventures.

Thank God for the Walker Trust.

There is a very detailed analysis of Pompey here including a break down of the £50m they still owe and how Gaydamak is still owed a great deal and owns Pompey's land.

Two things become very clear:

- the latest owners are not wealthy and are scrabbling round to raise more debt. So even if Pompey have cash in January it will be borrowed on the never never.

- foreign owners are just as seduced by the PL as British ones ever were. In fact there are proportionately far more dafter overseas "buyers" lining up for the kudos of having a PL club without even remotely having the cash or practically anything else that is needed to support their egotistical ventures.

Thank God for the Walker Trust.

There is no doubt that the Walker Trust has done good for Rovers - but if they really do want to sell the club, do you not think that they could do more in their quest to sell. The way they are trying to sell the club now is obviously not working.

Rothschilds don't do not seem to be doing much. It is ok saying the club is for sale, but are they 'active' in trying to sell the club - I have often wondered if they really do want to sell the club.

To sell you need something.

A buyer.

By my reckoning, nine out of the last fifteen buyers in the Premier League have been a steaming pile of crap.

Abramovich, Abu Dhabi, Lerner and the current Sunderland chap are doing very well for their clubs.

Too early to judge Yeung but it doesn't look good. The previous Sunderland owner appointed Roy Keane, saw them get relegated and sold on but he isn't so bad to be put in the pile of crap column.

The rest are rubbish as were the two individuals whose names were linked to Rovers.

So it is a resounding Thank God for the Walker Trust.

Still laughing at the goal Balloon has just scored against Liverpool!

I wonder whether we are seeing a top 8 emerge rather than a big 4. Sunderland look very comfortable against Liverpool who really do look like they are sliding down a level both in the PL and in Europe.

Darren Bent consistently scores for Sunderland but is overlooked by Capello. Heskey is dropped at Villa, but still a key man for England.

So much for Capello rewarding players for club form.

Capello will be selecting a large red semi-inflated balloon for the Brazil game if he follows your advice topman!

Incidentally there is footage of the kid in the Liverpool supporters section throwing the balloon onto the pitch. Echoes of the Ewood ball girl? Where's Jimmy Hill these days?

Man U were absolutely hanging on at the end against Notlob who were very unfortunate not to get at least a point at OT. Well as unfortunate as a team can be when it creates its own misfortune by having Zat Knight playing for it- he was awful at both ends of the pitch.

Lets be honest, Bent is not good enough for England.

He may score goals in the league but he hasnt got the pedigree to be an international star.

Mind you, he is a lot better than Keith Andrews who regularly gets an international start, maybe bent could claim to be Irish !!

Capello will be selecting a large red semi-inflated balloon for the Brazil game if he follows your advice topman!

I've already provided the case in point. Bent = scoring for fun. Heskey = doing naff all. By Capello's own decree, Bent should be chosen ahead of him.

Bent has made what... four appearances for England, and he's categorically not good enough? I sincerely doubt that.

Archived