BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

Not Premier League but the situation at Rangers looks incredibly grim.

The Murray Group is in two of the worst possible businesses to be in- property and steel- whilst the Bank ofScotland was way too friendly with Murray and Rangers which is something that is totally in reverse now that Lloyds have bailed them out of the doodah (and the British taxpayer bailed Lloyds out of the doodah they in turn fell into).

Are there any decent players at either Rangers or Celtic these days? Very easy pickings for any Premier League clubs up there when January comes round.

I noticed that - which given their monopoly/duopoly with Celtic so they an guarentee money from euro football and season ticket sales is even more alarming. Shows why they were desperate to join the PL, and even more reason that we shouldn't let them in - they offer nothing.

In terms of players, Boyd is a good fox in the box, but doesn't work hard enough to be the lone striker up front, so unless the system changes I doubt he'd be suitable. The player I would love to come to Rovers is Pedro Mendes - just what the team needs in the centre of the midfield - creativity and a cracking passer. Surely there won't be many players of his ilk around on the cheap.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not Premier League but the situation at Rangers looks incredibly grim.

The Murray Group is in two of the worst possible businesses to be in- property and steel- whilst the Bank ofScotland was way too friendly with Murray and Rangers which is something that is totally in reverse now that Lloyds have bailed them out of the doodah (and the British taxpayer bailed Lloyds out of the doodah they in turn fell into).

Are there any decent players at either Rangers or Celtic these days? Very easy pickings for any Premier League clubs up there when January comes round.

Lets not enter into that set of mistakes again. We bailed out Rangers before by paying over the odds for Amorouso and Fergusson.

Interesting that Curbishley has won his case against West Ham.

The level of compensation hasn't yet been decided but it's another nail being hammered into the coffin of that club.

Can you remind me of that one again? Seems quite strange for club to lose a case in which they sacked their manager, one would think that if it was plausible to get money out of that it would happen all the time?

Can you remind me of that one again? Seems quite strange for club to lose a case in which they sacked their manager, one would think that if it was plausible to get money out of that it would happen all the time?

They didnt sack him he quit in protest when they sold Ferdinand to Sunderland over his head.

They didnt sack him he quit in protest when they sold Ferdinand to Sunderland over his head.

In his words on the 3rd Sept 2008.

"Curbishley said decisions had been made "without involving me", amounting to "a breach of trust and confidence meaning I had no option but to leave."

The former West Ham player, who succeeded Alan Pardew as manager at Upton Park in December 2006, added: "The selection of players is critical to the job of manager and I had an agreement with the club that I alone would determine the composition of the squad."

He was obviously right.

McCartney being sold was the final straw. Who was also sold without his permission.

God only knows how the CEO Duxbury has kept his job through all this starting with the Tevez contract.

McCartney being sold was the final straw. Who was also sold without his permission.

God only knows how the CEO Duxbury has kept his job through all this starting with the Tevez contract.

I'm not being funny...but where are Hammers going to get the money from to pay him?

Lets not enter into that set of mistakes again. We bailed out Rangers before by paying over the odds for Amorouso and Fergusson.

I cannot believe you are forgetting the master himself - Tugay. Was he not also at Rangers?

I'm not being funny...but where are Hammers going to get the money from to pay him?

Depends on the amount they have to pay. Out of court settlement / forced to pay. Sadly I am sure they would manage somehow. I think if one club falls in the prem due to money matters, it will be like a deck of cards and others will follow.

I cannot believe you are forgetting the master himself - Tugay. Was he not also at Rangers?

Yep - Zurab also came that way and has been an excellent servant to the club.

There's not a huge amount at the Old Firm that would be much use to a Rovers side managed by Allardyce or attainable to a Rovers side in their current financial state. McGeady, Brown, McManus Papac, McGregor, Davis, Mendes and Fleck could all make decent impacts in this league, but none other than Mendes really fill a gap we have or are affordable for us.

Pedro Mendes at Rovers would be excellent.

Selling players?

I'd imagine the likes of Cole, Green and Parker at least would fetch decent sums. Wouldn't exactly help their relegation battle though.

When I posted the open question about Rangers' problems, I was really interested to see if Pedro Mendes would get mentioned again and whether folks think he could still be the real deal in the Prem. He seems to be getting a pretty good press still.

West Ham have signalled that Upson will be sold this January. A lot depends on whether Man City are still interested (I guess they might be given the way their £40m+ new combo doesn't gell) as to whether West Ham can squeeze enough from just the one sale or they will need to shift others.

West Ham have shown an amazing capability for doing things that most clubs do right in the wrong ways and getting clobbered for £40m-ish and counting when legal expenses and FA expenses etc etc get added to the fines and Sheff U compensation. There are still the Eggert suit and the Sheff U employees and Wigan and Charlton to settle with as well, lets not forget...

West Ham's wage structure is wierd- those that were on fixed contracts from their fizzy pop days were kept on very low numbers but then the Icelanders splashed the dosh on wages. Most of the very expensive boys have gone but Parker is probably on an Ewood-wage structure-busting screw down there and they had to bribe both Cole and Green to keep them.

Hull is mind-boggling. Their wages have gone from a bit less than £10m to £40m in effectivele one season!!! What have they been doing to so comprehensively throw away their promotion and survival bonus??? I can understand paying Premier League wages, but get the Premier League players first guys.

The dingles' management probably fainted when they read these stories from the KC.

It is being reported that Hull are going to cut some deadwood to reduce their £40m wage bill - Im shocked that they are already spending more than us on wages - I know they have Bullard on big money, but I didnt think the rest would be earning too much.

Maybe we could take Geovanni's wages off them? Creative sprk in midfield, good at free-kicks and corners?!

I thought our wage bill was 45 million?

Target was to get don to £40m this season- I guess we are about £3m over budget.

But Hull quadrupling the wage bill and employing that pile of rubbish is a truly awesome achievement of Ridsdale proportions. Stand forward Duffen to receive a golden fishtank- oops he's been fired...

Target was to get don to £40m this season- I guess we are about £3m over budget.

But Hull quadrupling the wage bill and employing that pile of rubbish is a truly awesome achievement of Ridsdale proportions. Stand forward Duffen to receive a golden fishtank- oops he's been fired...

So then if we are £3mill over that still means no new players in Jan even if Benni leaves.

Archived