BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Backroom

Great now like after every good Spurs win we have to hear about how this is the year Spurs can challenge the big 4.

Out of interest should Paul Scharner be banned indefinitely for his goal today?

My comment refers to the Utd - Everton game on Saturday. I found it quite depressing to see a team like Everton succumb so meekly to Utd. I know Sam got a lot of stick on here for the defeat but here was a side who`ve had a lot of money spent on it and still played with one up front and inviting defeat which is what happened. They are supposed to be a big club with big ambitions having broken into the top 4 quite recently yet they were so scared on Saturday and played with one up front. Has the Premier League the best in the world or so we are told become so boring as teams line up to lose as lightly as possible? I have always thought of them as a big club with a large fan base and honours to win. It was sad yesterday to see them play that way.

• Backroom

For some reason Tonygreenbank no matter how much Everton spend Moyes gets praised for working on a shoestring so the likes of yesterday and Arsenal at home this season are disregarded.

We noted today the Premier League has a lot of poor teams now the gulfs are huge. There isn't however that much of a gap between the top half of the Championship and the bottom half of the Premiership.

I thought Wigan would be relegated this season, but I don't think they will now to be honest. The Spurs game was embarassing for them and absolutely horrid, but let's not forget that they beat Chelsea (the best team in the league) 1-0, so it's hard to really make something of them after that shocking loss.

Everton are a good team, but they've lost a lot of key players to injury, namely Arteta and Jagielka. That's like us playing without Samba and Dunn. It makes things much, much harder. They have good players, but at the moment, I think Moyes finds it unrealistic to win against the likes of United, so is resorting to damage limitation. The reason he doesn't get as much criticism as someone like Sam is because Moyes managed to get a 5th place finished for the last 2 seasons on a limited budget, so you have to think that there is a lot of faith in him to do well with the club. I don't think any of the Everton supporters can have too many complaints if Everton don't finish 5th this season, but finish somewhere in mid-table instead. You just can't keep doing so well on that sort of budget, especially with teams like Aston Villa, Tottenham, Man City and Sunderland in the picture now.

I still maintain that those last 2 places in the top 10 will come down to a battle between us, Everton, Fulham and Stoke.

For some reason Tonygreenbank no matter how much Everton spend Moyes gets praised for working on a shoestring so the likes of yesterday and Arsenal at home this season are disregarded.

We noted today the Premier League has a lot of poor teams now the gulfs are huge. There isn't however that much of a gap between the top half of the Championship and the bottom half of the Premiership.

West Brom, Newcastle, and Boro all significantly weakened in the summer following relegation are 1st, 2nd and 8th in the fizzy pop league respectively.

Brum spent serious cash and will spend more and almost certainly stay up. Wolves are in trouble and unlike Hull last season, the dingles have not yet put enough daylight between themselves and trouble to be sure of staying up.

It is a myth that the gap between the bottom half of the Prem and the top half of the Coca Cola is small- it is huge.

Incidentally that second half at White Hart Lane set two new records- most goals in a half in a Prem game (nine) and most in a half by one team (eight).

I'm not sure what's more embarrassing, 9-1 against Spurs or 4-0 against Portsmouth. Wigan deserved to be thumped every week anyway, playing N'Zogbia on the right and Rodallega on the left is stupid, they become so predictable and their full backs become ridiculously exposed.

I'm not even sure where to begin talking about Paul Scharner as a support striker. :wacko:

They look almost certs for relegation, there is no fight or leadership in that team at all, they just crumble under pressure.

Incidentally that second half at White Hart Lane set two new records- most goals in a half in a Prem game (nine) and most in a half by one team (eight).

And here's another one for the statto s ........ no one person (don't know if this is just Prem League or others as well) had scored 5 in one half before.

I'm not sure what's more embarrassing, 9-1 against Spurs or 4-0 against Portsmouth. Wigan deserved to be thumped every week anyway, playing N'Zogbia on the right and Rodallega on the left is stupid, they become so predictable and their full backs become ridiculously exposed.

I'm not even sure where to begin talking about Paul Scharner as a support striker. :wacko:

They look almost certs for relegation, there is no fight or leadership in that team at all, they just crumble under pressure.

I think they'll end up in lower mid-table quite safe from relegation, there are other ways to stay up than fight and leadership.

The Wigan players will refund the Wigan fans who went to the game yesterday, it's a nice gesture from them although I'm sure it's hardly going to break the bank, SSN worked it out as something like £15,000, not much when shared out between the players who played yesterday.

I think they'll end up in lower mid-table quite safe from relegation, there are other ways to stay up than fight and leadership.

I don't doubt that there are, but they have a team which plays Jason Scotland as a lone striker and an awful defence. Thomas and Diame are in their first Premier League season too, that's very risky as a central midfield pairing.

I think their lack of quality means they'll be right in the relegation mix all season and they don't seem to have the stomach for a fight at the moment. They rely heavily on N'Zogbia and Rodallega to provide quality, but as they're being played on 'wrong' sides they're getting predictable as they try to cut inside all the time. That also leaves the full backs horribly exposed; look at how many of Spurs' goals came from out wide.

They seem to completely lack any form of Plan B when their passing game fails as well.

They seem to completely lack any form of Plan B when their passing game fails as well.

Indeed. It's hugely niave to think that a club with mediocre players can go away to the likes of Arsenal and Spurs, play an expansive passing game and not get an arse whooping. Whether it's down to Martinez' playing philosophy or the players' lack of fight and strength, they don't seem to have a plan B, as you rightly say.

The Wigan players will refund the Wigan fans who went to the game yesterday, it's a nice gesture from them although I'm sure it's hardly going to break the bank, SSN worked it out as something like £15,000, not much when shared out between the players who played yesterday.

Smart PR move from the players. They take personal responsibility for the fans travelling and avoid the real backlash. They can draw a line under the whole shambles and move on. Good psychological boost for everyone potentially. Only time will tell.

Archived