BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Moyes may not have had the same kind of backing as numerous Spurs managers, nor was much as O'Neil at Villa and Bruce at Sunderland, but he's still had BIG backing in the transfer market. I don't know where this myth about Moyes working on a shoe string originate from.

The reason they are where they are at the moment is that half the squad are out injured. Any team with as many as five first team regulars out is going to struggle. It's not Kenwright's fault.

Moyes may not have had the same kind of backing as numerous Spurs managers, nor was much as O'Neil at Villa and Bruce at Sunderland, but he's still had BIG backing in the transfer market. I don't know where this myth about Moyes working on a shoe string originate from.

He doesn't do badly with what he's got right now, he's had some money but not much over the years just look at this signings from there current team :-

Leighton Baines 6 million

Joseph Yobo 4 million

Phil Jagielka 4 Million

Tim Cahill 1.5 Million

Phil Neville 3.5 Million

Steven Pienaar 2 Million

Yakubu 11.25 million

Tim Howard 3 million

Marouane Fellaini 15 million

Mikel Arteta 2 million

There's only 2 players over 10 million the rest fall under 5 million and then there's Dan Gosling, Leon Osman and Jack Rodwell who are part of the youth team. To have gotten them to finish were they have been doing for the last few seasons on decent size but still small budget is really good.

He doesn't do badly with what he's got right now, he's had some money but not much over the years just look at this signings from there current team :-

Joseph Yobo 4 million

Phil Jagielka 4 Million

Tim Cahill 1.5 Million

Phil Neville 3.5 Million

Steven Pienaar 2 Million

Yakubu 11.25 million

Tim Howard 3 million

Mikel Arteta 2 million

There's only 2 players over 10 million the rest fall under 5 million and then there's Dan Gosling, Leon Osman and Jack Rodwell who are part of the youth team. To have gotten them to finish were they have been doing for the last few seasons on decent size but still small budget is really good.

He has done very well, I still think the job Hughes did here was a bigger achivement though. Moyes has never had to sell to buy rwally and Hughes did, I wish we'd seen Sparky with half that budget, we would have been knocking on the door for the Champions League.

• Backroom

Joseph Yobo 4 million

Phil Jagielka 4 Million

Tim Cahill 1.5 Million

Phil Neville 3.5 Million

Steven Pienaar 2 Million

Yakubu 11.25 million

Tim Howard 3 million

Mikel Arteta 2 million

Nearly 50M outgoings is still hardly a 'shoestring budget'. They recouped a fair chunk on Lescott, though.

Pundits probably refer to it as a shoe string budget because teams like Chelski, Man Utd and now City spend that amount on just two players.

In that case, what type of budget are we on? One of those plastic things at the end of the shoe string? :P

• Backroom

The sale of Rooney for £30 million also kickstarted most of that.

From what I recall the £25M they got for Rooney was used largely to pay off some major debts they had. Weren't they close to administration at that time?

Van Persie out for 4-5 months

Unless Arsenal buy a top striker in January (which they won't) then I feel their title race is now over. A strike force of Bendtner (also currently injured), Eduardo (just returning from multiple injury problems) and Vela (with barely any Premier League experience) is not good enough to win the league with.

Furthermore, if Chelsea win tomorrow then that will be three victories against the rest of the top four out of three and the title as good as theirs.

It's frustrating, because I don't think the rest have what it takes to win the league this year and I wanted an exciting title race.

I agree with TCJ, Arsenal don't have the forwards to cope with the loss of Van Poncy. Surprising that Wenger let Adebiyor go without a real replacement given the injury problems Robin always has. Perhaps they might go for a Huntlaar or suchlike, or some silky 20 year old people rate as a potential star.

I wish he'd buy Roberts for £8m after hearing this but I'm more likely to win the grand national running backwards.

Archived