BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its now official Dean Ashton forced to retire, massive shame the guy was real quality.....

Yup. After Rooney easily the most technically gifted English striker out there. Could have gone on to be a really good player for England I think despite a lack of pace, and played for year like Teddy Sheringham.

A real shame for him and West ham.

Ashton was more of a target man than a Sheringham, I think West Ham are very lucky that Carlton Cole has blossomed into such a good replacement otherwise they would have been in real trouble.

I always thought Ashton was a bit over hyped myself, especially with regards to playing for England. It happens with a lot of young English strikers who have a decent scoring record (Phillips, Beattie, Johnson etc). They're the best thing since sliced bread until they've played a few international games and everyone realises they're not as good as they thought they were.

Still, it is a shame, he would have offered an interesting alternative to the likes of Heskey, Cole and Crouch at the moment.

• Backroom

Good news for West Ham probably, he never looked like getting back to where he was and they would never have got a good fee for him. This way will they not get the £7.25 million for him from their insurance?

It'll probably be a fair while until West Ham see any insurance money as the insurers will probably fight to the death to avoid paying out, but, my understanding is that, unless the injury is the result of a degenerative condition, then they're entitled to compensation? Is that right?

Ashton was more of a target man than a Sheringham, I think West Ham are very lucky that Carlton Cole has blossomed into such a good replacement otherwise they would have been in real trouble.

I always thought Ashton was a bit over hyped myself, especially with regards to playing for England. It happens with a lot of young English strikers who have a decent scoring record (Phillips, Beattie, Johnson etc). They're the best thing since sliced bread until they've played a few international games and everyone realises they're not as good as they thought they were.

Still, it is a shame, he would have offered an interesting alternative to the likes of Heskey, Cole and Crouch at the moment.

In terms of talent I would say Ashton was streets ahead of the likes of Heskey, Cole and Crouch. Lacks the pace of the first two, and the height of Crouch but much more creative and imaginative.

The reason I compared him to Sheringham is that they are both thinking strikers who are usually thinking a step ahead of the game which compensates for a lack of speed on the turf. England does not produce many players like Ashton so I consider it a real loss.

It really disgusts me that Rooney and Gerrard can cheat and the BBC make no reference to this whatsoever. What happened to unbiased broadcasting? If it were a rovers player it'd be certainly raised in the after match analysis. And they call the pair of them role models.

Glad Villa beat manure - and always nice to see Spurs loose too. Incidentally it's interesting to note that the BBC made little mention of the fact that Spurs just started lumping it forward to Crouch when he came on, but I guess that doesn't fit with their stereotype of Spurs being an attractive team.

Hopefully if Villa are in with a shout for 4th the league cup will be less of a priority.

Well its not premiership, but hopefully Sturrock goes today and Plymouth can move forward? hopefully Mariner knows what he's doing????

Mariner and Nicol made a great team in MLS - it will be interesting to see if he can do it on his own.

• Backroom

Ryan Giggs Sports personality of the year WTF :wacko:

He deserves recognition but not this, plus he has no personality he shouldn't qualify. Anyway he only won it cause Keith Andrews isn't British and Paul Ince is otherwise engaged tonight.

Just shows how bad this award has become, even his inclusion in the nomanations is hard to understand, is it because he is coming towards the end of his footballing days, he is part of a team that has won many honours, so who's next to win it then, Paul Scholes, Gary Neville?

Giggs has 10 other players on his side, well 11 if you count the ref, where as Button has only his own skill to rely on when he is out on the track.

Another great sportsman who always seems to miss out is dart player Phil Taylor, 14 time world champion and this year has become the first player to hold all major titles in the same year.

Archived