BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

If Rovers were in the same situation - would we want to share with either bolton or burnley? The solution may well be obvious, but the implications / backlash etc!!!!!!!1

Totally different though.

Rovers v Burnley has 10+ miles between grounds - Everton v Liverpool is split by 1 large park.....Everton were refused permission, then Liverpool were granted it! Many Scouse households are split between both clubs so they are much closer as fans....WE HATE BURNLEY!

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see talk of 2018 has been on topic on this thread recently and that some of you were interested in Hull's bid to be a host city in 2018, in the match thread.

Admittedly the streets around the stadium are some of the worst in the city currently, but are all earmarked for regeneration in the coming years.

The bid focusses on what the city has to offer, as well as bars, restaurants and hotels, such as; it's many FREE museums including Wilberforce House, Maritime Museum and the Streetlife Museum and galleries as well as the world's only submarium, The Deep and the city's rich history and historic buildings within the city's old town, such as Holy Trinity Church - the biggest church in England, Ye Olde Pubs, such as; Ye Olde White Harte (since 1550) and Ye Olde Black Boy (since 1330), Charter House, Maister House & Blaydes House (were the HMS Bounty was built) and the old Grammer school (now Hands on History museum) as well as promoting nightlife and Hull Truck theatre e.t.c. as well as it's transport links by land (M62/M18/Humber Bridge), sea (Port of Hull - Holland/Belgium) and air (Humberside airport/Doncaster Robin Hood).

Oops - almost forgot, plus KC Stadium to be expanded to 44,000 (with temporary seating - reduced back to 33,000 after World Cup).

here's the extended KC Stadium;

9vjuxd.jpg

Here is the HULL2018 website;

http://www.hull2018bid.co.uk/

Here is the HULL & EAST YORKSHIRE - 2018 BID video;

Here is a video of a recent even hosted in Hull which attracted 100,000 people to the city (the stage area by the marina being one of the proposed fan parks);

The Freedom Festival/Clipper Round the World Yacht Race:

If you fancy being generous, please text 'HULL' to 62018 - votes finish tomorrow.

Wolves make 10 changes for tonight's game v Man Utd. Only their goalkeeper retains his place.

They've obviously given up on this one. Could cause ructions within the game?

I don't see a problem with it, plenty of sides in the past have rested key players for the more winnable games coming up. Though 10 changes will trigger some discussion. McCarthy will just say he has a large squad and that all players are up for team selection.

Can't believe people can stick up for wolves on this...the death bells of footy do toll.

Totally agree.

If Wolves had rested 10 at Spuds, they would surely have won at least 3-0 and if they had had the first team out at Man U, the Mancs have been wobbly enough for Wolves to have won there.

The difference would have meant the Mancs would not have drawn level with Chelski and Spuds would have been 4 points off the Mancs with a superior GD as opposed to 10 points behind with an inferior GD.

That is pretty significant and Wolves should have the book thrown at them if McCarthy makes 10 changes again for this week-end's game.

Yes but have Pompey been paid by Liverpool? There could well be a domino effect by the 'fur coat no knickers' clubs.

Can't believe people can stick up for wolves on this...the death bells of footy do toll.

Thats cos the ropes are being pulled by the Champions League and Sky.

Totally agree.

If Wolves had rested 10 at Spuds, they would surely have won at least 3-0 and if they had had the first team out at Man U, the Mancs have been wobbly enough for Wolves to have won there.

The difference would have meant the Mancs would not have drawn level with Chelski and Spuds would have been 4 points off the Mancs with a superior GD as opposed to 10 points behind with an inferior GD.

That is pretty significant and Wolves should have the book thrown at them if McCarthy makes 10 changes again for this week-end's game.

Are not the whole squad considered first team players? Therefore the manager can choose his side from the squad he has available.

It's a manager's perogative who he puts out and nobody can throw the book at him because of his team selection. If the playing field were more level, then managers wouldn't need to do things like this.

I actually think he was probably right to do it too - now he's lost the game by maybe one goal more than he would have otherwise, but has his squad fit and raring to go for the busy Christmas period and more winnable games.

I also think that Sam was right to rest big names last season against teams he fully expected to get stuffed by last season.

Im suprised Mick McCarthy took a reserve side there - do they not consider goal difference important? It could be vital to them come the end of the season...

Maybe he sees 3 points at the weekend as more valuable than saving 1 goal on the goal difference. Just a thought.

Maybe he sees 3 points at the weekend as more valuable than saving 1 goal on the goal difference. Just a thought.

Has he already got those 3 points?! :blink: Didnt think so - dangerous game is Russian roulette!

They are in the relegation places by goal difference - a goal difference that could maybe be 2 goals better off this morning but for his wise ideas! :rock:

It's a manager's perogative who he puts out and nobody can throw the book at him because of his team selection.

That's not actually true, there is a rule which makes what Wolves did illegal.

The problem is that it's a very difficult rule to enforce, he could easily claim he put out what he believed to be his strongest team and it's difficult to see how that can be disproved.

Regardless though I think it's disgusting. The club should be offering to refund every single supporter that paid £42 to see the reserves.

The problem is that it's a very difficult rule to enforce, he could easily claim he put out what he believed to be his strongest team and it's difficult to see how that can be disproved.

Regardless though I think it's disgusting. The club should be offering to refund every single supporter that paid £42 to see the reserves.

That rule makes no sense to me. A manager should play whichever team he sees fit (who his best x1 are is VERY subjective). He did play his 1st teamers after all. Would the media be so bothered if this had been against a team such as ourselves?

I don't think Wolves did anything wrong. The rules state something about always fielding your strongest 11. What constitutes strongest? McCarthy said the 11 he put out were his best available as the lot that played against Spurs were knackered and needed a rest. If they had played maybe they would have been given the run around, lost 5-0, and picked up a few injuries.

If anything I'm all for the bottom teams doing this against the big teams. It may force a change.

The authorities may even up the TV money distribution rather than the current set up of a larger slice going to the have's. More money, the more chance of attracting better players.

Lower match day substitute numbers. The current 6 (I think) has increased squad sizes. This in turn lead to the teams with cash hoarding all the good players, and those without having lots of average players hanging around. By lowering squad sizes, teams don't have as many to choose from.

A squad is more than just 11 players, any player who is registered as a squad member can feature in a game. Listening to McCarthy's interview after the game he talked about resting players going into the heavy christmas period plus having players with current niggles and those coming back from serious injuries.

I can see why he did and i have no problems with it, he won't be the last manager to do the same thing. Time will prove whether he made the right decision or not, if he beats Burnley I'm sure the Wolves fans will be happy with what he did and will be praising his decisions.

Has he already got those 3 points?! :blink: Didnt think so - dangerous game is Russian roulette!

They are in the relegation places by goal difference - a goal difference that could maybe be 2 goals better off this morning but for his wise ideas! :rock:

For a club like Wolves who have a small squad they could do far worse than lose 3-0 away at the Champions. To have a fresh team to come into a 6 pointer at the weekend is a no brainer for me. If it were a midtable team then you give it a better go, but they are far more likely to gain a result in the important game if they take a hit in the game they have little chance in.

If he gets it wrong he loses his job, so he obviously thinks it is a gamble worth taking.

• Backroom

It's a strange situation... on the one hand, you have to feel for the Wolves fans who whad to watch a bunch of reserves get soundly beaten by a Utd team who didn't even have to get out of second gear. It says a lot about the game when a manager decides to send out a team based on damage limitation in December.

On the other hand, however, SKY and the Champions League have ruined the game to the point where it is a business far more than a competition. The original FA rules are in many instances outdated for the current climate.

Wolves receive a kindly place your neck in this noose letter from the PL.

Whom they pick for the dingles game is going to be very interesting. If they make another 10 changes, a points deduction is surely headed for Molyneux.

The Premier League are to blame for this sorry situation. They've allowed the game in this country to deteriorate to a stage where teams like Wolves write off games like the one they had last night.

The Premier League are to blame for this sorry situation. They've allowed the game in this country to deteriorate to a stage where teams like Wolves write off games like the one they had last night.

Spot on Toogs. It's only going to become more commonplace as well.

Archived