BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

It's a strange situation... on the one hand, you have to feel for the Wolves fans who whad to watch a bunch of reserves get soundly beaten by a Utd team who didn't even have to get out of second gear. It says a lot about the game when a manager decides to send out a team based on damage limitation in December.

On the other hand, however, SKY and the Champions League have ruined the game to the point where it is a business far more than a competition. The original FA rules are in many instances outdated for the current climate.

FFS THEY WERNT RESERVES!!! THEY WERE ALL FIRST TEAM PLAYERS!!! MCCARTHY HAS DONE NO WRONG HERE!!! IT'S THE FA BEING A TOTAL BUNCH OF ###### YET AGAIN!!! *takes chill pill*

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FFS THEY WERNT RESERVES!!! THEY WERE ALL FIRST TEAM PLAYERS!!! MCCARTHY HAS DONE NO WRONG HERE!!! IT'S THE FA BEING A TOTAL BUNCH OF ###### YET AGAIN!!! *takes chill pill*

To be precise Mellison, that wasn't their strongest team and it was against PL rules, - always has been. As to whether it should be that way is another argument.

To be precise Mellison, that wasn't their strongest team and it was against PL rules, - always has been. As to whether it should be that way is another argument.

Aye, but I wish people would stop saying 'reserves'. There is no doubt that it wasn't his strongest team. But that would mean playing a bunch of exhausted players and risking injury. That rule (as I have said) implies that the treatment table is a fallacy and that every team should play their best X1 including walking wounded. The rule is pathetic. It shouldn't be a rule. It is merely a philosophy. Mick McCarthy was being tactical, and good on him imo. FA stands for f****** ars*****s.

• Backroom

:D calm down. I use the term 'reserve' for any member of the squad who wouldn't usually be picked for the first 11. I don't literally mean a player who is solely a reserve team player.

Aye, but I wish people would stop saying 'reserves'. There is no doubt that it wasn't his strongest team. But that would mean playing a bunch of exhausted players and risking injury. That rule (as I have said) implies that the treatment table is a fallacy and that every team should play their best X1 including walking wounded.

Premier League rule 20, section E, says teams must field a full-strength side in all top-flight matches. .

Where does that rule say that?

Premier League rule 20, section E, says teams must field a full-strength side in all top-flight matches. .

Where does that rule say that?

I said IMPLIES. 'Full-strength in all games' to me suggests 'regardless of fitness' (as in the case of Wolves) which could further include injured men. I don't mean that 'this is what I believe and I won't budge'. I'm just demonstrating how ridiculous this rule is. How far would the FA take it? Would they do it if a team made 9 changes? or 8? or 7? How far do they go?

McCarthy can try to argue he had ten dead and dying last night. He will be hard pushed to defend all ten going back into the team to face the dingles though and not be guilty by his own actions of not picking the strongest side AVAILABLE for OT.

Bet the Wolves club doctors are busy writing medical reports at the mement....

Clubs used to get punished over this sort of thing - many, many years ago. I can't see how the authorities could be seen as being consistent today though,if they charged Wolves, seeing that the top sides have played weakened teams loads of times already without charges - . Then again, if they don't charge them, who's to say this wouldn't become the norm? Then where does the game go in the eyes of a public already disillusioned by the sport?

Wolves receive a kindly place your neck in this noose letter from the PL.

Whom they pick for the dingles game is going to be very interesting. If they make another 10 changes, a points deduction is surely headed for Molyneux.

I don't think they'll make 10 changes - more like 8 - but even if they did I cannot possibly imagine that they will be hit with a points fine. The FA didn't do it to West Ham when they seriously breached the rules regarding Tevez. They are not going to do it to Wolves when the issue revolves around something as subjective as the interpretation of best players available.

I don't think they'll make 10 changes - more like 8 - but even if they did I cannot possibly imagine that they will be hit with a points fine. The FA didn't do it to West Ham when they seriously breached the rules regarding Tevez. They are not going to do it to Wolves when the issue revolves around something as subjective as the interpretation of best players available.

Well they might since one team was west ham and the other wolves. Depends who your friends are

United did it at the end of last season against Hull when they had already won the league and wanted to rest players for the Champions League, although the result had clear implications for relegation. As it happened United still won but it should not have made a difference, but they weren't punished. With that precedent I can't see how the PL could justify a points deduction.

I can see why McCarthy did it but if on the last game of the season, some other team does it and this results in Wolves getting relegated then McCarthy will go mental!

If that happens, he'll have to keep his mouth shut or be branded a hypocrite. I don't see anything wrong with it. If it affected our hopes of avoiding relegation, I would be outraged, BUT there is nothing WRONG with it.

Wolves receive a kindly place your neck in this noose letter from the PL.

Whom they pick for the dingles game is going to be very interesting. If they make another 10 changes, a points deduction is surely headed for Molyneux.

From that article...... "Premier League rule 20, section E, says teams must field a full-strength side in all top-flight matches."

Obviously this does not actually apply to the top 4 and Man Utd in particular. Last year I saw Ronaldo, Rooney Tevez and Giggs all sat sitting on the bench for a Prem match being rested against lowly opposition cos they had a big european game coming up.

• Backroom

Exactly theno, if Wolves get a fine then so should United for the team they fielded against Hull on the last day of last season and so should we for playing Diouf and Roberts last night.

Obviously this does not actually apply to the top 4 and Man Utd in particular. Last year I saw Ronaldo, Rooney Tevez and Giggs all sat sitting on the bench for a Prem match being rested against lowly opposition cos they had a big european game coming up.

This is different Theno. Wolves are the first club to say loud and clear by their actions alone, that they can't compete with Man Utd and they are happy to throw the game. They will deny that of course, but that is what they have done. Rovers under Ince and now Allardyce have referred to other games being "more winnable".

The debate should not be "were Wolves right to do it?", because they obviously went against the rules. The question should be "are the fans of the lower placed clubs going to accept their team throwing games as well?"

Archived