BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Andy Gray has just done his team of the decade on SSN - Brad in goal. Well deserved.

This is going to sound petty but I wonder if he would have been given that accolade if he was still at Rovers...

Guest Kamy100

Was reading somewhere that since winning the FA Cup Pompey have raised £80 Million from player sales alone, you have to ask where has that money gone?

A chunk of it went on transfers in as they kept buying after winning the cup. An horrific amount went in wages which I think were higher than Spurs' one year and then the biggest amount was debt servicing and repayment. They owed £30m to that South African bank at the time they won the Cup and that got paid off.

It does look like Pompey are overwhelmed by debt

The whole Portsmouth thing is just beyond belief. Redknapp must take a significant chunk of the blame. He is easily the most two faced man in football. He declares his love for the club so often its embarrassing. Yet all the while he must've known he was running them into the ground. I seriously wonder if he was ever told 'no' to a transfer by his board.

As for Peter Storrie. Well, how the hell has he managed to come out of this with the degree of empathy from the general public is beyond me. He made his bed and i'm afraid he has to lie in it. Portsmouth epitomise everything wrong in todays game. I would love them to go to the wall.

Incidently, if they do go into administartion and fold before the season is over how does that leave the relegation situation? Does it mean only two will get relegated. I would assume so as if it stayed at 3 plus Pompey then 4 would have to be promoted from the Championship. I guess that would also have a knock on effect right down the leagues?

A chunk of it went on transfers in as they kept buying after winning the cup. An horrific amount went in wages which I think were higher than Spurs' one year and then the biggest amount was debt servicing and repayment. They owed £30m to that South African bank at the time they won the Cup and that got paid off.

Has any football club ever gone bust mid season in any professional English league? The only club I could think of that it may have happened to is Accrington Stanley - but not sure if that was mid season.

Reading between the lines I'd wager that the government have been advised to shut it down.

This is going to sound petty but I wonder if he would have been given that accolade if he was still at Rovers...

I'd think so. Andy Gray is a football man before media herd animal. Anyway surely everybody knows that Brad has spent 70% of the decade at BRFC?

The whole Portsmouth thing is just beyond belief. Redknapp must take a significant chunk of the blame. He is easily the most two faced man in football. He declares his love for the club so often its embarrassing. Yet all the while he must've known he was running them into the ground. I seriously wonder if he was ever told 'no' to a transfer by his board.

As for Peter Storrie. Well, how the hell has he managed to come out of this with the degree of empathy from the general public is beyond me. He made his bed and i'm afraid he has to lie in it. Portsmouth epitomise everything wrong in todays game. I would love them to go to the wall.

Incidently, if they do go into administartion and fold before the season is over how does that leave the relegation situation? Does it mean only two will get relegated. I would assume so as if it stayed at 3 plus Pompey then 4 would have to be promoted from the Championship. I guess that would also have a knock on effect right down the leagues?

Interesting thing about our 'Arry', Bourmemouth (administration) Southampton (Administration) West ham (Broke and now Pompey!!!! and he managed them all - Coincidence or not???

Interesting thing about our 'Arry', Bourmemouth (administration) Southampton (Administration) West ham (Broke and now Pompey!!!! and he managed them all - Coincidence or not???

Lets hope the trend continues! Be fan-bloody-tastic if he stiffed Spurs too! :lol:

Well surely it's the money-men's responsibility to keep Harry in check and ensure they don't spend beyond their means? :rock:

You'd think so wouldn't you. Thats what i mean about Peter Storrie. The man must have been blissfully ignorant or just bloody stupid. Maybe the thought of losing dear Arry put the fear of god into him. The whole situation just beggars belief.

I do wonder whether Portsmouth will actually go to the wall. I'm not sure whether the FA, government etc. will actually demand their money, or whether they'll back down as the effects of a premier league club going bust/into admin would be pretty severe.

I hope they do because this seems to be financial mismanagement on a whole new scale. Agree Harry and Storrie need to take a lot of the blame. You cannot be that high up in a company and not know the financial situation in general terms, even if not the details. And it's obvious to everyone, financial background or not, that they are well and truely in the soup.

Interesting - hadn't given that thought. Conspiracy theorists could have a filed day with that one. If it is coinincidence then it is a very very ;arge one.

If you read the article carefully, you will see that Pompey would go into administration, not fold completely. Clubs only get completely wound up if the administrators cannot sell it as a going concern after giving all the creditors a hair cut they are willing to accept.

That's what happened to Accrington Stanley and more recently Halifax Town and Telford United.

Sky sports reporting Coyle now odds on as new Bolton Manager, odds tumbling as Bolton say he is the one they want!!

Not sure why Coyle would swap one struggling premiership team for another, even if one of them is the dingles. Also he doesn't seem to be doing a brill job at keeping burnley up, bit of a suprising choice. From a career point of view would be better for coyle to experience the prem with burnley, where he'll take no/little blame for them getting relegated then move on to another job in the summer.

Not sure why Coyle would swap one struggling premiership team for another, even if one of them is the dingles. Also he doesn't seem to be doing a brill job at keeping burnley up, bit of a suprising choice. From a career point of view would be better for coyle to experience the prem with burnley, where he'll take no/little blame for them getting relegated then move on to another job in the summer.

I think he is finding it difficult to get prem players on £14,000 per week!!! and he needs some, Caldwel;l out for four games, both full backs suspended, Bikey away for a month!!!

• Backroom

Whilst Bolton don't have much more money than Burnley, the fact is they do have more and have been an established premiership side for a good few years now. I think overall Coyle has a better chance of keeping Bolton up than keeping Burnley up, and he'll get paid better for it too.

Bolton are about twice the club Burnley are.

You guys are missing the point here. One is an established Premier League club which is a PL set-up in all aspects. The other has ridden its luck into the PL, had its first half season adrenalin rush to be a princely 2 points above relegation and is facing gravitational pull exacerbated by spending its PL cash windfall repaying its directors debts.

Yawn yawn yawn Philip. Twice the club Bolton are? Really?

I think you're the one missing the point. I have no doubt Coyle would rather finish the job he's doing as opposed to clean up the one someone else has done, as both jobs revolve around the same thing.

To suggest Bolton are twice the club is ridiculous, and is just a Rovers fan talking anti Burnley crap. We are all small north west clubs, who have all got to the top flight via very different routes.

Let's not forget how we got here, and don't be so quick to condescend those close to us, as they have done magnificently to join us.

Bolton are about twice the club Burnley are.

You guys are missing the point here. One is an established Premier League club which is a PL set-up in all aspects. The other has ridden its luck into the PL, had its first half season adrenalin rush to be a princely 2 points above relegation and is facing gravitational pull exacerbated by spending its PL cash windfall repaying its directors debts.

So agent Kilby wasn't joking when he said on Alastair Campbell's pre-season documentary that he was going to take the money and run!

Sky sports reporting Coyle now odds on as new Bolton Manager, odds tumbling as Bolton say he is the one they want!!

Would seem a good sensible decision all round. An old boy returning, to turn the situation around, aginst a situation of trying to keep an under talented bunch in the league with its long term prospects not too great.

Archived