BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

That Hull story is wrong- they probably missed a 3 or a 4 in front of the £8 or 9m wage bill. Either that or they have found a way of not paying Jimmy Bullard! It looks like Paul Duffen completely screwed up running that club.

Some mind-boggling stories around this morning-

Arsenal almost certainly going to buy a forward because Bendtner needs another groin op.

Liverpool have to sell players to raise at least £10m and reduce wages and the only money for incomings is for Maxi Rodriguez and loan deals!

My favourite is in the Scottish Herald which reports that Celtic are favourites to sign Preston's Sean St Ledger (sic). :lol:

We could let Arsenal have Jason Roberts for a medium sized fee. With the amount of chances they make even he would be a regular scorer.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We could let Arsenal have Jason Roberts for a medium sized fee. With the amount of chances they make even he would be a regular scorer.

You're not thinking. Big Sam is mates with Ferguson so he wouldn't want to effectively hand the title to Arsenal by selling Roberts to them.

That said Roberts is the perfect fit for the Arsenal system. All grace, poise, movement and skill. The Arsenal team woth Roberts in it would indeed be a thing of beauty!

At first this made me laugh but I am wondering how far from the truth you actually are.

City have just announced record annual losses of 92.6m.

That doesn't include this summer's transfer activity and they apparently expect similar results next year as they chase silverware.

It said the owner had so far spent 390m in paying off debts etc so far.

(I think - it might only have been 319m!)

Haven't found a link yet but i've heard Pompey still haven't paid their players for December. They said they would make the payments today after failing to pay on Tuesday.

Yup that's been mentioned on SSN as well. They originally said the players would be played Tuesday, that's been and gone and the PFA are now "hopeful" that they will be paid by "the end of the week"

Mark Jacob the Portsmouth Executive Director has just been on SSN claiming the funds are already in the Bank for players wages and they'll be paid tomorrow morning.

Indeed he also claimed that this injection of funds will herald the end of the "trauma" the Club had been suffering for the last 2 years or so.

Claimed the current owner had put in 40m since taking over in October and that Pompey were dangerously close to going into administration in September. Also "no firesale" in January.

To be fair, the Sky Sports news anchor man gave this bloke a right old grilling.

Edit: Tim beat me to it this time. :)

According to Mark Jacob, Portsmouth's Executive Director, they were close to administration in September but the future is now changing for the better & 2010 is going to see big and great changes at Portsmouth and there will be no fire sale in the transfer window.

How ridiculous. They like to talk a good game down there but it's the same old crap coming out of the club.

I suppose this is largely irrelevant however as Andy Gray was talking about the years 2000-2009 in the way we usually refer to decades.

The noughties. As it were.

The actual definition of a decade is a period of 10 years. So technically, the Andy Gray decade is acceptable. He could also do a players of the decade in 2014 if he wanted to.

Read an article that Mokoena has pledged not to leave Portsmouth.

The news just keeps getting worse for them!!!!

While the Rovers haven't exactly set the league on fire, the clown-like activity that goes on in other clubs virtually assure our survival this year. Pompey, West Ham and Hull all have money woes. Bolton and Burnley are imploding with their management issues. Heck, ManC's performance (with 92 million of debt after 300+ million in owner investment) in relation to pounds spent make the Rovers look like a paragon of financial and player management.

Go Rovers! :brfc:

According to Mark Jacob, Portsmouth's Executive Director, they were close to administration in September but the future is now changing for the better & 2010 is going to see big and great changes at Portsmouth and there will be no fire sale in the transfer window.

Meanwhile Storrie has told SSN that pompey may have to sell just to stay out of Admin & that they are considering taking back Nugent for when players leave........ :lol::lol:

Things change quickly. Didnt he read his bank account saldo correctly?

Two observations.

We have not had the snow which was forecast to fall after midnight in London- yet. But the temperature forecast is to remain sub-zero for the next six days at least. I don't know how much of this week-end's programme will survive but if it doesn't there is going to be a mind blowing end to the season with the World Cup blocking any extension. Already Bolton and Arsenal (both still in the FA Cup with reasonable expectations of reaching Round 5) could be facing the prospect of two if not three games a week at the season end with fascinating repurcussions for the title and relegation fights.

We know Pompey have to sell to survive and that West Ham have to if they don't sell the club abd now that Hull also have to sell to balance the books. We are also at the end of the first week of the transfer window which looks to be as frozen as the weather. I am not joking when I say I know of the Di Santo loan extension but I am struggling to think of any other completed loan or transfer deal anywhere in the Prem.

I strongly suspect that we are going to see enormous downwards pressure on transfer fees this January but quite probably on wages as well. Pompey have a cashflow crisis each month end because they cannot meet their wage bill and I think that screwed up report on Hull might have intended to say that Hull need to reduce their wage bill by £8m to £9m. Of course with contracts inviolable (or perceived as such until someone goes bust) this means the buying club and agent of John Utaka for instance are going to look to the selling club to sort out his bonkers £80k a week or whatever it is. Which is exactly not what Pompey need at this stage and must be massively complicating the exit from financial mayhems of all three clubs in the doodah.

Although West Ham are in the fortunate position of having four potential buyers, they are already desperately late at 7 January to effect the sale and give the new buyers the chance of sorting out the mess within this window. Upton Park has all the makings of the ultimate car crash- the Icelandic President's veto on the Icesave deal means the liquidators of Icelandic assets have zero wriggle room just now.

Chuck in Liverpool and Man U's financial difficulties and Wigan continuing to sell to survive and this is a fantastic time to be a buying club. Whether the managements of Stoke and Sunderland have the intelligence to maximise their advantage is an open question- we know City are stupid, that is a given!

I am not joking when I say I know of the Di Santo loan extension but I am struggling to think of any other completed loan or transfer deal anywhere in the Prem.

Everton - Landon Donovan on-loan

Stoke - Cresswell to Sheff Utd

Wolves - Neil Collins to Preston for 750k.

09.21 Inter Milan midfielder Patrick Vieira is to undergo a medical with Manchester City this afternoon before putting pen to paper on an 18-month contract at Eastlands.

Is he still a hero among the Arsenal faithfuls? Will this change? How will he cope with Premier League nowadays?

Snow wont of helped this week - it should begin to start moving again in the next week or so hopefully!

Looks like the recession is beginning to hit clubs though - and aswell clubs are also considering the home-grown rule no doubt!

Archived