BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

Just bemused why Hughesy is so concerned about Pompey earning a few quid, especially when he doesn't consider them rivals.

Because id like to see them go down, the deserve it for the way they have been throwing money around (like Leeds years ago), even ythough they never really had massive bundles.

If Pompey get £10m, the embargo will get lifted and they will then end up signing another 3 or 4 players, on more dodgy terms. Dodgy club that deserve all they get...championship stadium, championship squad - & about time they joined it!

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because id like to see them go down, the deserve it for the way they have been throwing money around (like Leeds years ago), even ythough they never really had massive bundles.

If Pompey get £10m, the embargo will get lifted and they will then end up signing another 3 or 4 players, on more dodgy terms. Dodgy club that deserve all they get...championship stadium, championship squad - & about time they joined it!

If the embargo is lifted, OK clubs may well raid Pompey but lets get real here, if you where the chairman of a club and Pompey come calling with promises of XYZ over the contract period i know where I would be telling them to go no matter how bad my own finances are, IMO there is no way they will be paying up front.

10m will have to feed an awful lot of hungry mouths.

What is it now a couple of weeks before the hearing for the winding up.

13.31 Portsmouth executive director Mark Jacob has announced that the Premier League club's transfer embargo has been lifted.

Don't think this necessarily gets them out of the @#/?, especially in terms of relegation. They are going to have to sell players to pay off the tax bill and some of their other debtors. I'd be surprised if they get the prices for some of the players they want as well (Kaboul £10 million? WTF!). Also would you join a club that's in a relegation battle and has had problems paying their players?

They will probably take out another big loan to buy some players and we have this same mess all over again in the summer.

This whole situation makes a mockery of the FA's fit and proper test for prospective owners.

13.31 Portsmouth executive director Mark Jacob has announced that the Premier League club's transfer embargo has been lifted.

Once again the words that come out of Fratton Park don't bear a great deal of resemblance to the truth. The FA says that the ban is only partly lifted so that they can get players on loan but still can't sign anyone permanently unless on a free transfer.

That'll just be because the PL used their TV money to pay off debts to other clubs. That's the only reason the transfer embargo was on them, their dispute with the tax man is another problem.

They still won't have a penny to sign anyone so it won't make any difference. I suppose it might give them the freedom to get some loans in if they do sell any of their players to pay the tax bill.

Things starting to hot up?

15.53 Manchester United have confirmed that they have agreed a deal which will see Fulham defender Chris Smalling move to Old Trafford in the summer.

15.39 Birmingham have signed Craig Gardner from Aston Villa for £3million. The midfielder has signed a four-and-a-half-year contract

Look at the BBC live league table just now. Burnley in 18th place...

Losing Coyle means they are now dead certs to go down along with Pompey for me. The injuries to two key men only adds to their problems :)

In other news Rafa's lot are looking very average against a dogged Wolves side. Gerrard is looking very poor.

Archived