SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After Sheringham laid it off.

Ahhhh, that makes more sense then.

But surely there would be a case for eliminating the 'direct/indirect' freekick and just let the team take the kick as they wish? A team may score direct from a corner if they wish, so why not a freekick?

While I wouldn't quite advcate the same change at throw-ins, it is my opinion that if you are stupid enough to let a throw-in enter your goal, it should stand as a goal.

Bentley playing really well tonight for Spurs, seems to have found some decent form recently. When he's fully fit and in form there isn't many players who can put in a better cross.

Reading on Francefoot that Mansouri the Lorient captain was wanted by Burnley but turned them down to stay at Lorient till the end of the season. Well done that man. The fans seem to think so too and have some very harsh things to say about Burnley!

Bentley playing really well tonight for Spurs, seems to have found some decent form recently. When he's fully fit and in form there isn't many players who can put in a better cross.

Bentley was top class tonight, hardl;y gave a ball away, created, crossed well!!

Wish he was at Rovers :(

Bentley was top class tonight, hardl;y gave a ball away, created, crossed well!!

Wish he was at Rovers :(

I thought he put in an excellent cross for the 2nd goal.

What I didn't like after that was his show-boating a couple of times, and his smirk after the Leeds player who appeared not to have touched him was

booked. It just struck me that for all his talent, he still has a major attitude problem.

I thought he put in an excellent cross for the 2nd goal.

What I didn't like after that was his show-boating a couple of times, and his smirk after the Leeds player who appeared not to have touched him was

booked. It just struck me that for all his talent, he still has a major attitude problem.

Yes, he played well, yes, Leeds are in League 1 and yes, I noticed he was back to his falling over when someone breathed near him on occasions. Anyone see Jason Wilcox talking about Simon Grayson on the Yorkshire version of Late Kick off? Only ask because my daughter works on the show and set up the interview

Chelsea have had their transfer ban lifted by the court of arbitration for sport, makes you wonder that if it was a club outside the top 4 it would of had the same outcome.

Portsmouth changes hands AGAIN, Ali Al Faraj defaulted on a £17 million loan from Balram Chainrai, so Chainrai takes over for now but the club still seeking someone else to take over the club, they are also trying to delay the hearing over the winding up order that is hanging over them.

Chelsea have had their transfer ban lifted by the court of arbitration for sport, makes you wonder that if it was a club outside the top 4 it would of had the same outcome.

Portsmouth changes hands AGAIN, Ali Al Faraj defaulted on a £17 million loan from Balram Chainrai, so Chainrai takes over for now but the club still seeking someone else to take over the club, they are also trying to delay the hearing over the winding up order that is hanging over them.

Course it wouldn't have the same outcome. The Sky 4 are the FA's bitches. Shouldn't ManUre and Liverpool's debt be treated like Pompeys?

May I just say that while the FA CLEARLY favour the Sky 4, I am no longer of the opinion that referee's favour the Sky 4. Simply because of Graham Poll's book. There is no agenda whatsoever to the book and it clearly demonstrates that refs are, in fact humans in a black shirt. It definitely changed my perspective on refs.

I'd take that over Diouf, who is all gob and little talent.

I have seen very little of Bentley since he left us.

The point that struck me about his performance, however good it was, was that his attitude problem might well stop his really hitting his full

potential.

When he left us, he had the world at his feet but one way or another he has let it slip away. He showed last night he still has ability but

I just wonder if he will turn out to be one of the many thousands who, over the last 100 years or so, have failed to perform to the best of their

abilities.

As for Diouf, I do not understand what he contributes, or why he is allegedly on a long contract and paid a high salary.

• Backroom

Course it wouldn't have the same outcome. The Sky 4 are the FA's bitches. Shouldn't ManUre and Liverpool's debt be treated like Pompeys?

May I just say that while the FA CLEARLY favour the Sky 4, I am no longer of the opinion that referee's favour the Sky 4. Simply because of Graham Poll's book. There is no agenda whatsoever to the book and it clearly demonstrates that refs are, in fact humans in a black shirt. It definitely changed my perspective on refs.

Have Man U and Liverpool failed to pay the players wages along with other things yet?

So you believed there was a bias but Graham Poll said otherwise so now you no longer do? Wow you're easily swayed aint you.

Also crying bias on the transfer embargo is a bit rich, if they were really favoured would it not have been lifted earlier in time for January? Or was it put on hold for the appeal then?

Have Man U and Liverpool failed to pay the players wages along with other things yet?

So you believed there was a bias but Graham Poll said otherwise so now you no longer do? Wow you're easily swayed aint you.

Also crying bias on the transfer embargo is a bit rich, if they were really favoured would it not have been lifted earlier in time for January? Or was it put on hold for the appeal then?

I was unclear, I was actually neutral on the issue, but Graham Poll said what he said in a clear way. And I've no reason to doubt what he said. Mick Dennis is another.

I was unclear, I was actually neutral on the issue, but Graham Poll said what he said in a clear way. And I've no reason to doubt what he said. Mick Dennis is another.

Mick Dennis is another what? Total tosser?

I'm sick of all these ex refs (and amateur refs in Dennis' case) pontificating about the bloody game, Jeff Winter's another. That's the problem, they think they are as big as the players.

I'm sick of all these ex refs (and amateur refs in Dennis' case) pontificating about the bloody game, Jeff Winter's another. That's the problem, they think they are as big as the players.

Actually, while Dennis can be a tosser (and Winter IS a tosser) there are valid points to be had from their arguments. Referees start out doing the job for fun (beggars belief doesn't it??) but then they get good at it and climb the ladder. I don't for a single second think that refs hold a CONSCIOUS bias towards clubs. UNCONSCIOUS perhaps, but that is a human error. As is every other error they make. While I don't like most reffing errors, they are usually just honest mistakes. A TV gives you a variety of angles at different speeds (which is when you get home and see if that dodgy penalty shudv been given). A ref has one angle at one speed.

Something I found interesting was this idea: Just watch a game where you don't care about EITHER team (Grimsby vs Northampton or something) and you'll often wonder why the fans are going mental at a correct decision. It's like all of us at Ewood and it's the same human error as the ref. Yes, they have power (and too much of it imo; the time-keeping and notification of bookings/times etc shud be kept by a seperate authority away from the pitch) but they are humans in shirts doing their job the best they can.

Actually, while Dennis can be a tosser (and Winter IS a tosser) there are valid points to be had from their arguments. Referees start out doing the job for fun (beggars belief doesn't it??) but then they get good at it and climb the ladder. I don't for a single second think that refs hold a CONSCIOUS bias towards clubs. UNCONSCIOUS perhaps, but that is a human error. As is every other error they make. While I don't like most reffing errors, they are usually just honest mistakes. A TV gives you a variety of angles at different speeds (which is when you get home and see if that dodgy penalty shudv been given). A ref has one angle at one speed.

I still think that video reffing (for the Prem only initially) would help the smaller clubs enormously and especially when they are away at the big city grounds. Everybody knows that big clubs benefit from skewed decisios. We can all whinge but I'm sure that it takes some balls to send off Wayne Rooney at OT or Drogba / Gerrard etc etc for one of the minor bookable offences when they are already on one yellow. All the resulting media hoo hah could tarnish your reputation and have your decisions dissected by the pundits in the studios and the rabid dogs of the press forever.

Poll comes across as a total pr*ck in his book. Surprising, isn't it?

Poll comes across as a total pr*ck in his book. Surprising, isn't it?

Really? I got the opposite impression. I found myself agreeing with most of his views on the subject of Ref bias and stuff. But away from that, did you read the FAQ's at the back? Do you agree with the 'honesty policy'?

For those who haven't read it, Poll suggests that after an apparent "foul" is committed, the ref will ask the tackled player if it was a foul. If yes, the freekick/penalty is given. If no, the freekick/penalty is not given.

After the game, all tackles/fouls that led to freekicks will be analysed and if the felled player is found to have been dishonest inn his account to the ref while on the pitch, the player will be punished as if sent off for simulation/diving/feigning injury/cheating (IE: match suspensions etc).

I would take this punishment further and ALSO (as well as match suspensions) deduct a percentage of the players wage for the remainder of the season and pass this money to lower down the ladder at Grass-roots level to aid youth development.

All Poll did was talk about how chirpy he is with players, say he was friends with Paul Dirkin, how 'haunted' he is by the Siminic triple-booking, how other refs are jealous of him, and how he enjoys a beer like a 'normal person'. He was a decent ref admittedly but he used to come across as a bit of an arrogant prat and his book does nothing to change that from my standpoint.

What was insightful? The fact that refs are human? The fact that video technology makes the scrutiny worse? The fact that some managers and players are nobs? The fact that it is probably harder to give a decision against a big team? We all knew all that already!

All Poll did was talk about how chirpy he is with players, say he was friends with Paul Dirkin, how 'haunted' he is by the Siminic triple-booking, how other refs are jealous of him, and how he enjoys a beer like a 'normal person'. He was a decent ref admittedly but he used to come across as a bit of an arrogant prat and his book does nothing to change that from my standpoint.

What was insightful? The fact that refs are human? The fact that video technology makes the scrutiny worse? The fact that some managers and players are nobs? The fact that it is probably harder to give a decision against a big team? We all knew all that already!

Well I just thought it good to here it from the dark side. To be fair I expected an arrogant book, so maybe this expectation made him appear less arrogant (if that makes any sense). To be fair, I think a pretty simple, yet major mistake which stops you reaching the pinnacle of your career would be VERY upsetting, but certainly not 'haunting' as he depicts it. Hell, he earned a few bob reffing the greatest league in the world! But I just thought it was a nice and different perspective on referees.

But what about a potential 'honesty' system. Would you think it could help the game eradicate cheats? Or at least deter most of them? It's better than a poncy fine, anyway.

But what about a potential 'honesty' system. Would you think it could help the game eradicate cheats? Or at least deter most of them? It's better than a poncy fine, anyway.

You weren't asking me but unless you have explained it poorly it sounds a crap idea.

For a start, 'after an apparent foul is committed'. What does that mean? Is it that after every tackle the ref stops the game to ask peoples opinions, or is it just when the ref thinks there has been a foul he stops the game and asks the player? If it is the former (bearing in mind that players complain after being tackled all the time) each game will take 5 hours and if it is the latter, it won't always work as there will be times when the ref doesn't think it was a foul but it actually was. On that basis it doesn't increase the number of correct decisions to justify its implementation IMO.

There is also the potential that players will take a ban in order to win their team a game by diving and saying they were fouled, in much the same way as defenders occasionally take out players through on goal knowing they will be sent off but in doing so preventing a goal.

Thirdly (nearly finished :) ), there is too much of a grey area between a foul and simulation. It is feasible for a player to say he felt he was fouled because he got caught in a tackle but subsequent analysis could show the tackle was fair. In that case the tackled player would presumably be accused of cheating.

Finally, since it doesn't alter the result of the game being played, it won't change the fury felt by players, managers or supporters who have been cheated, if the offendng player is banned for subsequent matches.

Summary: Poll is a @#/?

You weren't asking me but unless you have explained it poorly it sounds a crap idea.

For a start, 'after an apparent foul is committed'. What does that mean? Is it that after every tackle the ref stops the game to ask peoples opinions, or is it just when the ref thinks there has been a foul he stops the game and asks the player? If it is the former (bearing in mind that players complain after being tackled all the time) each game will take 5 hours and if it is the latter, it won't always work as there will be times when the ref doesn't think it was a foul but it actually was. On that basis it doesn't increase the number of correct decisions to justify its implementation IMO.

There is also the potential that players will take a ban in order to win their team a game by diving and saying they were fouled, in much the same way as defenders occasionally take out players through on goal knowing they will be sent off but in doing so preventing a goal.

Thirdly (nearly finished :) ), there is too much of a grey area between a foul and simulation. It is feasible for a player to say he felt he was fouled because he got caught in a tackle but subsequent analysis could show the tackle was fair. In that case the tackled player would presumably be accused of cheating.

Finally, since it doesn't alter the result of the game being played, it won't change the fury felt by players, managers or supporters who have been cheated, if the offendng player is banned for subsequent matches.

Summary: Poll is a @#/?

Fair nuff hahaha. Hopefully Mr. Webb won't be as much of a prat. Our next 'great' (is there such thing?) english ref.

Archived