BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Accident or not 'ANY leg breaker' has to have a red card, otherwise the referee could be deemed negligent even though he hasnt committed the offence.

What about McEveley on Cisse? Contains picture

You can't blanket say that a broken leg is a red card. Every incident has to be judged on its own merit. In the above situation I think Cisse's foot got stuck in the turf which lead to the injury.

Normal speed replay of Ramsey injury.

I've seem quite a bit of Shawcross this season and he does not come across as a malicious defender IMHO.

If reports are true that he has been called up into the England squad thats fantastic news and should be all the incentive required for other 'fringe' english palyers.

What about McEveley on Cisse? Contains picture

You can't blanket say that a broken leg is a red card. Every incident has to be judged on its own merit. In the above situation I think Cisse's foot got stuck in the turf which lead to the injury.

All i'm saying is thats the course of action any referee should take, obviously we all see an incident and react in different ways, thus, the reason why you always get a different outcome.

You say tomato, I say tomayto.

From only the one camera angle it's difficult to judge whether the tackle was bad or not. I've looked at it a couple of times back on Sky+ and it did indeed look a little bit like a lunge from Shawcross. But to be fair the ball was there to be won it was just that Ramsey's speed proved to be a vital factor in him picking up the horrific injury. Within a second or so a ball which looked to be heading for a 50/50 tackle saw Ramsey bring the ball down under control. Shawcross who was fully commited on the 50/50 tackle came through at speed and the injury happened.

That's just my view on it from the one camera angle anyway, other replays (which I don't particularly want to see) may indeed prove it was indeed a very poor tackle, in which case I retract what I've said above. But in my opinion it's no coincidence that Arsenal players seemingly keep picking up these sort of injuries, a lot of their players are nimble and have very quick feet a player only needs to put in a slighlty mis-timed tackle particular at speed and there's always the chance that an injury like this can happen.

Thoughts have got to be with the young lad Ramsey, who looks to be a potential star in the making. Hopeuflly he'll be able to come back from this injury.

I thought the same from the video I've seen, but when you look at the pictures on the News of the World website they tell a different story. BE WARNED - The picture is quite sickening but his leg was snapped before Shawcross made contact. It looks like that to me because on the video Shawcross goes over Ramsey and Shawcross is leaning back on that picture. Could his leg just snap like that with an awkward landing?

Broken bones are an inevitable consequence of football.

Unfortunate this incident may be, if it happens to a player at Stockport or Accrington the effect on his career and lifestyle can be huge.

Breaks happen every weekend somewhere, this is quite a bad one, but as I say, it's going to happen.

All i'm saying is thats the course of action any referee should take, obviously we all see an incident and react in different ways, thus, the reason why you always get a different outcome.

You say tomato, I say tomayto.

Mussolini said pomodoro

I thought the same from the video I've seen, but when you look at the pictures on the News of the World website they tell a different story. BE WARNED - The picture is quite sickening but his leg was snapped before Shawcross made contact. It looks like that to me because on the video Shawcross goes over Ramsey and Shawcross is leaning back on that picture. Could his leg just snap like that with an awkward landing?

it sure can. after watching the video and looking at the pics my opinion is it was a 50/50 challange gone bad. also to me it looks like Ramsey went in for the challange and Shawcross went over him from the impact of the challange. sadly thats the way of contact sports, injurys will happen, no matter who you are or how good you are.

Cambells reaction is out of line as well imo, he is giving the ref a right mouthful then goes to try and pick a fight, tosser. lets see what MoTD have to say

it sure can. after watching the video and looking at the pics my opinion is it was a 50/50 challange gone bad. also to me it looks like Ramsey went in for the challange and Shawcross went over him from the impact of the challange. sadly thats the way of contact sports, injurys will happen, no matter who you are or how good you are.

Cambells reaction is out of line as well imo, he is giving the ref a right mouthful then goes to try and pick a fight, tosser. lets see what MoTD have to say

There were some 'argie bargies' a few minutes before than incident- involving Campbell, also he has just his team mate break his leg in a horrific fashion- the pics on NOTW are the worst I have ever seen in a football match. He has a right to be upset it was an awful challenge!

Shawcross had his foot off the ground when he went in for the challenge, as far as I can tell Ramseys feet were not over the ball. This is the reason why players are shown red cards when they tackle with their feet off the ground- Shawcross is an honest lad but that was a poor challenge

There were some 'argie bargies' a few minutes before than incident- involving Campbell, also he has just his team mate break his leg in a horrific fashion- the pics on NOTW are the worst I have ever seen in a football match. He has a right to be upset it was an awful challenge!

Shawcross had his foot off the ground when he went in for the challenge, as far as I can tell Ramseys feet were not over the ball. This is the reason why players are shown red cards when they tackle with their feet off the ground- Shawcross is an honest lad but that was a poor challenge

Look at the first picture again on NOTW and it looks like his leg was broke before Shawcross made contact. Shawcross is leaning back on that picture and when contact was made he lands over Ramsey.

How can he break his leg before contact? I don't think you've thought that one through mate.

I think I have thought it through and I asked

"Could his leg just snap like that with an awkward landing?"

And someone has already said "it sure can"

Look at that picture, he's leaning back, if that's after he made contact how has he landed on the other side of him?

Think about that one.

• Backroom

That picture is interesting and makes it even worse for the lad, imagine if his leg is snapped like that and then gets clattered! But looking where the ball is I'm pretty sure this is after the collision somehow.

As for Campbell he can't be blamed for his reaction in my opinion, people take things like this different.

All credit to the Stoke number 6 who was over straight away trying to prop him up and support him.

I know they go on about it and today wasn't a direct result of it but it is true that some teams go over physical agaisnt Arsenal due to the belief they 'don't like it up them' I will guarantee in the build up to our game plenty on here will suggest the same approach (including me most likely).

I'm pleased with the result of the game today though, Arsenal play the kind of football I love to watch and I'm glad it prevailed against Stoke's approach. However I'd take any scrappy result against them no matter how we got it.

• Backroom

No doubt this week in the rags there'll be pics of Busst, that croatian who played for villa, Cisse, Eduardo and others.

The red tops seem to love to compare bad injuries.

I hate how all of this is blown totally out of proportion :angry:

Yes it isn't nice, yes it's a shame that a young promising player will miss a year of football/may even have had his career ended.

BUT, he won't lose the leg and he hasn't died. :rolleyes:

The media make such a big deal out of things like this when people are getting murdered right left and centre.

• Backroom

Who has taken it out of proportion?

Football commentators and people on Sky sports news job is to talk about football not murders and this is a football message board?

I just can't stand all the disgusting this and sickening that. People break their legs everyday.

Yeah but not all of them are in a high-profile Premiership football matches. I'm sure it's some sort of human instinct to feel sickened by such an injury and I don't think anyone would say it's a nice thing to witness.

The challenge was just a clumsy one no intention there at all, from the pictures it does look as he he as landed in a funny position and his leg broke before the challenge which is highly doubtfull but possible.

What annoys me is the comments from Wenger cant say I didnt expect much else to be honest, he said the same thing about tiny when Eduardo broke his leg, its football get over it what did he expect a centre back to do ? not challenge and let him skip by him. You shouldnt really comment on the player if you know nothing about him as Pulis stated and so Bruce at the time.

Footballers are paid enough (danger money if you like) to put there money into other things incase their career is eneded short, although I agree its sad becasue of his age but im sure he has enough time to get his career back on track.

The part time footballer breaks his leg at the weekend and gets sacked from his daytime job because he cant work my sympathy goes out to them.

The picture from NOTW actually looks fake :blink:

Not including of course refusing to shake hands with the opposition manager after a match, somehow failing to "see" controversial incidents that go in Arsenal's favour but always seeing incidents that go against Arsenal, rarely having a good word to say about opposing teams or their managers, and in Rovers' case, blatantly smearing the club's reputation with lies and innuendo, and generally giving the impression of being a bad sport and all-round s*it.

More ludicrous comments by Wenger on MotD tonight that will probably be the cue unfortunately for the southern media to launch another witch-hunt against an honest footballer. Shawcross will no doubt be vilified in the same way as Martin Taylor after the Eduardo tackle yet both were identical incidents in that they were attacking the ball only to be beaten to it by a faster player.

Not that the myopic Wenger would see it that way. The buffoon on here who suggested that Wenger "must be a model for all to admire" has to be joking.

Archived