BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

• Backroom

After seeing it on MOTD I really think Whealan deserves some praise he was protecting Ramsey and trying to prevent him from seeing how bad his ankle was.

Well done that man

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not including of course refusing to shake hands with the opposition manager after a match, somehow failing to "see" controversial incidents that go in Arsenal's favour but always seeing incidents that go against Arsenal, rarely having a good word to say about opposing teams or their managers, and in Rovers' case, blatantly smearing the club's reputation with lies and innuendo, and generally giving the impression of being a bad sport and all-round s*it.

Here Here

After seeing it on MOTD I really think Whealan deserves some praise he was protecting Ramsey and trying to prevent him from seeing how bad his ankle was.

Well done that man

Agreed. It looked like majority of the players dealt with the incident as professionally as they could.

brian_gallagher85, of course it's a terrible injury. This is the guy's life and career taking a potential turn for the worst, not just a broken leg.

It's just really depressing because he is a player with so much potential and he's now going to lose at least a year of his development. There was a similar outrage with Eduardo because he was in such good form prior to his injury.

You have to have sympathy for Shawcross, he is another good young player with a big career ahead of him and this has to be devastating for him. I can't imagine how he would feel knowing he did this to Ramsey.

It was a brutally strong tackle, but a fair attempt to go for the ball and slightly mis-timed, just like Taylor's on Eduardo. As Bryan says, his shin wouldn't have snapped in half because he fell awkwardly - his foot got stuck in a bad position and the force from Shawcross's tackle caused the leg to break.

Sky sports are referrng to it as a horror tackle on their website. As far as I can tell it was just a horrific accident. The lad shawcross stretched to win the ball, there was no intent as far as I can see. It should have been a fantastic day for Ryan shawcross after his England call up bit it will now be remembred for all of the wrong reasons. I just hope he is not vilified by the southern press in the same way tiny taylor was. You can see by the reaction of shawcross that he was devestated by the event, he left the pitch in tears and was driven away from the stadium by his parents.

I hope Aaron Ramsey makes a speedy recovery from his injury but I also hope that Ryan shawcross is given the opportunity to make a speedy return to first team action without having this thrown in his face every week.

I really can't see how that could be caused by anything other than a poorly-made tackle.

Surely his shin wouldn't fold over like that on landing, it needs an impact from the tackle.

It was caused by the tackle. No doubt.

It happens unfortunately and I'm sure Shawcross didn't mean to inflict that sort of damage. 2 years to the day that Eduardo received his as well. Having been at the game I missed the incident and wasn't sure at all what part had been damaged, I'd wondered if contact had been at the knee. He has a great chance of making it back in one piece especially with private medicine the way it is nowadays.

I keep looking at the video and I'm not convinced its a fibia tibia snap, its quite possible its a fibia snap and tibia fracture, but impossible to be sure via Utube video's.

All the best Aaron, chin up and speedy recovery.

More ludicrous comments by Wenger on MotD tonight that will probably be the cue unfortunately for the southern media to launch another witch-hunt against an honest footballer. Shawcross will no doubt be vilified in the same way as Martin Taylor after the Eduardo tackle yet both were identical incidents in that they were attacking the ball only to be beaten to it by a faster player.

Not that the myopic Wenger would see it that way. The buffoon on here who suggested that Wenger "must be a model for all to admire" has to be joking.

Wenger continues to bring up the Eduardo incident as proof that other teams are out to get his team and they don't get the protection they deserve from the referees. Taking his cue from his manager, that little cheat Fabrigas said the same and an Arsenal fan on 606 labelled Marten Taylor a "thug'. Bambi a thug, I ask you!

I feel very sorry for Ramsey but I cannot abide Wenger exploiting the incident to ensure his team get even more decisions from the refs than they do now. As it is they get free-kicks against us everytime they fall over.

The NOTW pictures are very misleading as the first photo is after the collision of legs. I am sure that it was not intentional and is just a freak accident. The boy will get the best medical and physio treatment available and so will be in the best place to resume his career in 12 months or so. Best wishes to him but please dont villify Sahwcross as he was making an honest attempt at the ball.

They need to start issuing huge bans for things like this, it's sickening.

In any other profession, such negligence/incompetence that led to a severe injury to someone would have HUGE consequences. 3 games just isn't right.

Stupid knee jerk post. It was nothing more than a strong tackle at speed. Problem was only brought about cos Ramsey had all his weight on his standing foot. I see far worse tackles every week but with less severe consequences thank goodness. The tackle that injured the linesman at Brum I think was far more dangerous. (btw why did he need a stretcher ffs? Puff! :lol: ).

I note you have retracted since. Obviously a career for you as a football referee is a complete No No. ^_^

Shawcross had his foot off the ground when he went in for the challenge, as far as I can tell Ramseys feet were not over the ball. This is the reason why players are shown red cards when they tackle with their feet off the ground- Shawcross is an honest lad but that was a poor challenge

imy how tf can anyone tackle any other way? :blink:

It was a determined tackle at speed. Nothing at all wrong with that. Neills against Carragher was very similar. And that too was blown up by the stupidity of the opposing manager and a mischievous press and media.

Broken legs do happen to footballers and horses, it's the nature of the beast and an occupational hazard. I've seen lots of horrifically dangerous challenges in my time and been on the end of some too, but this was not in that category.

I know they go on about it and today wasn't a direct result of it but it is true that some teams go over physical agaisnt Arsenal due to the belief they 'don't like it up them' I will guarantee in the build up to our game plenty on here will suggest the same approach (including me most likely).

Moderm myth. Arsenal have hardly been free of guilt in thne past have they. Arsenal fans must have been weaned on the likes of Storey, Ure, Young, Lineghan, Adams, Bould and Keown they were all dirty bstards and latterly the likes of Vierra and Bergkamp were hardly shrinking violets were they? Bob Wilson broke George Bests leg with an atrocious lunge. btw Anybody rem Van Persie of Nelsen a coupls of years back in fron of the Darwen End JW lower?

The red tops seem to love to compare bad injuries.

Thats cos the red top readers want to do the same.

What came first the chicken or the egg TCO? :rock:

Not that the myopic Wenger would see it that way. The buffoon on here who suggested that Wenger "must be a model for all to admire" has to be joking.

Hey thats me! :tu:

Tell you what Jim ... after BRFC which Prem team do you like to watch most on TV? If it's anyone other than Arsenal you are either a liar or you know sweet FA about football and thats that.

I really can't see how that could be caused by anything other than a poorly-made tackle.

Surely his shin wouldn't fold over like that on landing, it needs an impact from the tackle.

I've only seen the MoTD coverage, and to be honest I don't really want to see any more, BUT from what I have seen if I was Pullis I'd be instructing Shawcross to put in an appeal about a 3 match ban asap tomorrow morning.

Hey thats me! thumbs-up.gif

Tell you what Jim ... after BRFC which Prem team do you like to watch most on TV? If it's anyone other than Arsenal you are either a liar or you know sweet FA about football and thats that.

My Buffoon ! Who else could have written that ?

I wouldn't give Arsenal credit for anything. Dislike the club and its tw*tish supporters - viz, their comments on the latest incident.

And yes, I do know my football, and that's that.

Sky sports are referrng to it as a horror tackle on their website. As far as I can tell it was just a horrific accident. The lad shawcross stretched to win the ball, there was no intent as far as I can see. It should have been a fantastic day for Ryan shawcross after his England call up bit it will now be remembred for all of the wrong reasons. I just hope he is not vilified by the southern press in the same way tiny taylor was. You can see by the reaction of shawcross that he was devestated by the event, he left the pitch in tears and was driven away from the stadium by his parents.

I hope Aaron Ramsey makes a speedy recovery from his injury but I also hope that Ryan shawcross is given the opportunity to make a speedy return to first team action without having this thrown in his face every week.

Indeed Ricky. He is an excellent prospect who imo will prob not be at Stoke for much longer. But widespread villification for something like this could leave a mental impression and result in him losing the bit of 'edge' to his game which puts him above the rest. Needs careful handling.

Not wishing to resurrect the Ince topic and far from the Premier League but my feelings about Ince are still so raw and so bad that I will be delighted if/when MK Dons fire him.

Cue screams from all the 'ladies' out there that MK DONS = RACIST CLUB! :rolleyes:

Darren Lewis.... Oliver Holt... Nigel Winterburn.... Your muppet is taking a hell of a beating!

BUT from what I have seen if I was Pullis I'd be instructing Shawcross to put in an appeal about a 3 match ban asap tomorrow morning.

Couldn't agree more. I think its just one of those unfortunate things, I can only presume that Ramseys foot has gripped the turf at the wrong time. If his leg is in the air he just gets taken out and Shawcross gets a yellow, as happens with most other sightly mistimed tackles.

Couldn't agree more. I think its just one of those unfortunate things, I can only presume that Ramseys foot has gripped the turf at the wrong time. If his leg is in the air he just gets taken out and Shawcross gets a yellow, as happens with most other sightly mistimed tackles.

Just been a very similar tackle (possibly worse) in the old firm game that resulted in a free kick and no more. Maybe contact was slightly lower, that's all. The player was completely uninjured.

I haven't seen the incident ( deliberately ). Had my leg broken twice by clumsy tacklers so I don't need to be reminded of it. All I'd like to say is Shawcross doesn't come across a thug , in fact football has cleaned up it's act in the Premier League era. I can't think of many thugs playing now.

I don't like the way Wenger is using this and the other incident to mould opinion in favour of his style of play. Players get enough protection these days, this season I've seen several really good tackles carded just because the player tackled has ended up on his a--e. If Wenger had his way tackling would be completely outlawed and football would become a large 5 a side game.That would be point at which I give up watching completely. After that he'd probably like heading banned, his team aren't very good at that either.

• Backroom

Thats cos the red top readers want to do the same.

What came first the chicken or the egg TCO? :rock:

I expected this but I don't actually buy a paper at all I have just seen this sort of article linked

i expect to be proven right though

I've only seen the MoTD coverage, and to be honest I don't really want to see any more, BUT from what I have seen if I was Pullis I'd be instructing Shawcross to put in an appeal about a 3 match ban asap tomorrow morning.

Yeah, I don't think there was any malice in it. It wasn't the best of challenges - he wasn't in full control, but it was happening at high speed and Ramsey was just too quick for his own good.

The player's reaction when he realised what he'd done tells its own story.

It's very similar to the Martin Taylor thing, and for Wenger to be amping things up like that does not help. I hope Ramsey makes a full recovery.

Archived