BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, after the last World Cup, Bruce Arena was the one saying that Donovan owed it to the US team to go play in Europe against a better quality opposition to improve his game....

To be fair to who?

Donovan came out in the press to slate Beckham and orchestrate and help whip up the anti-Beckham feeling. At the time it all smacked of jealousy of Beckham. Understandable in a way but taken to pathetic extremes.

Beckham is by far the bigger star of the two and from the way they are conducting themselves also appears to be the better man.

If Donovan comes out and apologies for his actions as he is now faced with a similar dilemma then perhaps he can be cut him some slack, to use American parlance.

actually after watching tonight's match it is easy to see why they got the result whereas we didn't they have a clinical goalscorer in Rodallega we have a striker who will fail at chelsea and be loaned out to a championship side as DiSanto is no where near Prem. standard

Is that the same Hugo "clinical goalscorer" Rodallega whose strike against Pool was his first since Boxing Day?

Still, to be fair, doesn't seem likely Di Santo will score before next Boxing Day at this rate...

Not quite sure we would of been treated so softly for the lack of respect shown to referees...

Gerrard dodges punishment over V-Sign

He's proving over and over that he is above the law. I hate weak kneed people in positions of authority and this ref is onviously one.

"It is understood Referee Marriner saw the incident at the time but did not deem it worthy of further punishment. Under those circumstances, the FA cannot take retrospective action.

After some of the ludicrous things that I've seen players sent off for this takes the biscuit but in reverse.

btw I've always known that Gerrard has always been well over rated as a player for England but has always managed to look good for Liverpool...... and tf even thats gone now. Over rated and a has-been to boot.

Dingles 1-0 down

Typical Burnley start, rushed out from their corner punching screamed on by their small army of yahoos. Caught on the counter by a Delap throw, flick on and Tuncay finish. Now silent exept for Potters fans. Loads of empty seats again in the tiny turf.

Why does Capello obsess over playing a strike parter with Rooney?

Put him up front on his own like Man Utd do, he's unstoppable.

I agree. It would also allow England to play 5 in midfield and allow Lampard & Gerrard to both get forward..

I dont like United, but Rooney is awesome!

• Backroom

Brilliant, Burnley only draw one of the games they really needed to be winning, now played a game more and 10 points behind us and still in the dropzone.

If they don't start winning away they will go down, however I still think they'll fluke it.

With all the teams at the bottom failing to win much we look almost safe already we just need to get that one more win ASAP

• Backroom

Sounds like Burnley brought the advertising boardings closer to the pitch tonight to counter Stokes long throw, it obviously didnt work but it's a nice try.

Seeing as stoke have narrowed their pitch and made gaps in the board to accomodate the throw why shouldn't teams take measures to counter it?

Could have been worse for The Dingles but that's still a poor result. So much for fortress Turd Moor.

The Dingle end behind the goals looked half empty aswell, maybe they are all saving up for their big game.

Just stand directly infront of him at the throwing - it would cause him problems

I don't think that you are allowed to stand right on the touchline when someone is throwing it in anymore. I can't remember where I've heard this, but I'm pretty sure it is right. Because otherwise that is exactly what everyone would do.

I don't think that you are allowed to stand right on the touchline when someone is throwing it in anymore. I can't remember where I've heard this, but I'm pretty sure it is right. Because otherwise that is exactly what everyone would do.

I believe the rule is something longly worded that basically says, 'You can stand in front of the player (I assume to avoid things like positional advantage or people trying to create an offside advantage) but are not allowed to make any movement or challenge to disrupt the throw in'.

I'm sure there was a game last season where a team playing against Stoke tried to bend the rules by making a late movement towards the thrower to make it appear as though he isn't challenging the throw and the ref called them up on it immediately, booked one of them and it didn't happen again.

If you know the opposition are not allowed to attack the throw then I guess it's pretty comfortable to keep concentration if someone stands in front of you when taking a throw. I'm sure in the recent game against Arsenal they had a player near Delap when he took the throws, especially in the second half and it didn't seem too hinder him.

I could just be making up/imagining all of the above but in all honesty if you could do it then I'm sure a few teams would have tried it by now, if you could challenge for the ball as soon as it's left his hands from any position then it would be fairly easy to jump at arm distance height and block the cross or at least put him off his throw.

I believe the rule is something longly worded that basically says, 'You can stand in front of the player (I assume to avoid things like positional advantage or people trying to create an offside advantage) but are not allowed to make any movement or challenge to disrupt the throw in'.

I'm sure there was a game last season where a team playing against Stoke tried to bend the rules by making a late movement towards the thrower to make it appear as though he isn't challenging the throw and the ref called them up on it immediately, booked one of them and it didn't happen again.

If you know the opposition are not allowed to attack the throw then I guess it's pretty comfortable to keep concentration if someone stands in front of you when taking a throw. I'm sure in the recent game against Arsenal they had a player near Delap when he took the throws, especially in the second half and it didn't seem too hinder him.

I could just be making up/imagining all of the above but in all honesty if you could do it then I'm sure a few teams would have tried it by now, if you could challenge for the ball as soon as it's left his hands from any position then it would be fairly easy to jump at arm distance height and block the cross or at least put him off his throw.

All players must be at least two metres away from the throw-in these days. I think Chelsea had a player standing about that against Stoke recently (Malouda?) for one of Delap's throws. It didn't work though...

Throw-In rules

Archived