BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

Glad they lost - Just hope Spurs dont get 4th!

Said it before & il say it again - without a top striker (you could count Van P as that) then they will never win the league. Oh & a top keeper!

I'm not, there goes my summer holiday.

Van Persie is a top class forward, he would easily have hit 25-30 this season if he'd stayed fit. 11 games 7 goals 7 assists, thats good going.

A top keeper another centre back, central midfielder and a striker are needed (not to replace bentner). Bentner is getting better and better each year, I wouldn't be selling him at all. Yes he's missed some chances but he's scored quite a few as well, which is good going considering he's their second choice. They never expected to play him in so many games and for a young lad he's doing well. 13 goals, 22 starts, 9 subs not bad for his type of striker at 22, give him a few more years and if he can improve his composure they will have one hell of a player.

I'm gob smacked Wenger has never moved for Frey, but maybe he'll look at Lloris (if he's 15million, thats a bargain). Don't forget they have already signed Chamaka (Sp, Bordeaux) on a freebie.

No Song didn't play.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not, there goes my summer holiday.

Van Persie is a top class forward, he would easily have hit 25-30 this season if he'd stayed fit. 11 games 7 goals 7 assists, thats good going.

A top keeper another centre back, central midfielder and a striker are needed (not to replace bentner). Bentner is getting better and better each year, I wouldn't be selling him at all. Yes he's missed some chances but he's scored quite a few as well, which is good going considering he's their second choice. They never expected to play him in so many games and for a young lad he's doing well. 13 goals, 22 starts, 9 subs not bad for his type of striker at 22, give him a few more years and if he can improve his composure they will have one hell of a player.

I'm gob smacked Wenger has never moved for Frey, but maybe he'll look at Lloris (if he's 15million, thats a bargain). Don't forget they have already signed Chamaka (Sp, Bordeaux) on a freebie.

No Song didn't play.

I know Barca played Arsenal off the park, but on that form they would have beaten anyone, yet I feel with a full squad, Arsenal are by far the most accomplished passing side in the prem, perhaps they need an enforcer, a hard man, thats all they are short of!!

Agreed Van Persie even in a cameo last night looked extremely sharp and lively, great pace and skill and would without doubt been in the top three goalscorers in the league had he played!

I know Barca played Arsenal off the park, but on that form they would have beaten anyone, yet I feel with a full squad, Arsenal are by far the most accomplished passing side in the prem, perhaps they need an enforcer, a hard man, thats all they are short of!!

Agreed Van Persie even in a cameo last night looked extremely sharp and lively, great pace and skill and would without doubt been in the top three goalscorers in the league had he played!

I think Barca really shocked Arsenal with their start.

For me Alumina is a liability and is too inconsistent for a title winning team, they must sign a better keeper. They do need a enforcer, song is doing well but he's not there yet. I wonder what a player like Mascherano would do alongside Fabregas? For me they lack height at the back and need a player who is strong in the air, Gallas despite his great career is not what he was and he's a bit of baby.

They'll have Wilshire next year as well, who's looked good in patches at Notlob, but he's certainly not ready for the England squad. Nicko had Coyle had a few sherbets when he said that????

Na Fabregas is thier top player - i.e. United's Rooney, Chelsea's Drogba etc.

Van Persie is their 2nd best player id say.

Arsenal lack a top striker - if they splashed the cash on 1 top striker then they would win the league & get further in Europe.

But they have a top striker in van persie but he's been injured that's the point being made I think

Fair point Hughesy, Fabregas is their "Rooney", but TCO is right, I'm pointing out that Arsenal do have a top class striker, but he picked up a horrible injury. Thankfully he looks to be back to his previous level, which is great.

Maybe Chamakh alongside him will see Arsenal more clinical next season? He's one of the bets freebies you're ever gonna get and it gives Wenger cash to spend elsewhere. Unfortunately, he seems to back his players to the hilt, which is great for the youngsters, but he backs his older liabilities as well (Almunia, I'm thinking).

Are there any more belters to come this summer, or can this be you 2010 'Tour de Force' FAILURE of a prediction?

:lol: You sure it won't be Liverpool, Philip? ;) (kidding)

I don't see Arsenal winning the league again until they change their footballing philosophy.

Arsenal need a quality keeper and now possibly a second central defender to replace Gallas if he leaves. Since Chamakh is being touted to join them, Id say the team has quality all over the park if they retain Cesc.

Almunia has single-handedly cost them so many games.

To be fair though you could say similiar things about most clubs.

We have had Grella, Dunn, Emerton, Robinson, Nelsen and even Reid if you want to count him, injured this year among others I'm sure that I've forgotten, no doubt if we had a fully fit squad all season and could sign a top striker then we'd be doing better than we have done.

Man Utd have also been without Hargreaves, Owen, Vidic, Ferdinand for large parts of the season, plus injuries to people like Van Der Sar and Rooney, another couple of signings plus the others being fit and you could easily make a case for them walking the title.

Chelsea again have been without Essien for most of the season who is arguably their best player, add to that the likes of Carvalho who was a long term injury as well as injury spells for people like Cech and Drogba, that's without mentioning them losing a few players to the African nations cup during the christmas period.

Liverpool have missed Gerrard and Torres a fair bit this year, no point going any deeper as that's their only good players.

I think it's just very easy to say 'If they signed a couple more players' and if they didn't have Player X injured they would do a lot better. I don't see the need for the sudden Arsenal love.

Injuries happen, it's part of football, what if's are useless.

Arsenal do have a pretty formidable forward line when everyone is fit.

Walcott Fabregas Arshavin

........... Van Persie

That's as good as anything else in the league, if not better. There's Nasri too.

Where they struggle is in goal (Almunia's mistake vs. Birmingham will have shaken them badly) and central midfield. Song is good at breaking up attacks but they need someone alongside him who can be more box-to-box, like Vieira used to.

Where they struggle is in goal (Almunia's mistake vs. Birmingham will have shaken them badly) and central midfield. Song is good at breaking up attacks but they need someone alongside him who can be more box-to-box, like Vieira used to.

Vieira in his prime alongside fabregas, perhaps our new fan Doctor Who could sort it out, it would be awesome.

Fabregas has been playing behind a lone striker, pretty much like Dunn, so it's a partner for Song they need.

Whoever they play, be it Diaby, Denilson, Ramsey or Nasri, has a major flaw. Diaby drifts in and out games, Denilson offers little going forward, Nasri is little bit powder puff and Ramsey is very young, although in a few years will be perfect (if he recovers from his injury).

Wenger seems to want Felipe Melo for the role, whether they can prise him from Juventus or not is another matter.

God Arsenal are so powder-puff. They could have been there all night and they wouldn't have won a point.

Without Gomes in the Spuds goal, Arse would have scored 4 in the last 8 minutes.

That piece about Seymour Pierce is interesting. I had wondered whether Yeung was for real this time seeing as he screwed up his first purchase for want of having all the dosh needed. Chucking away £90m for a £2m fee seems bizarre in the extreme.

Are there any more belters to come this summer, or can this be you 2010 'Tour de Force' FAILURE of a prediction?

They are only 7 points off top despite a murderous season for injuries.

Add a class keeper and a class striker to what they have got, keep them all fit and for sure Arsenal will be the club to beat next season.

They are only 7 points off top despite a murderous season for injuries.

Add a class keeper and a class striker to what they have got, keep them all fit and for sure Arsenal will be the club to beat next season.

I reckon they'll give Boro a run for their money.

To be fair though you could say similiar things about most clubs.

Injuries are a big part of the game, which necessitates squad depth. It is Arsenal's depth that has seen them maintain a title challenge right up until the last four games.

United have had troubles with injuries, although these have been largely defensive, likewise Chelsea. The thing with the top teams though is that, for all their defensive problems, they'll usually outscore you anyway. A big of a flimsy argument, I know, but offensive injuries are most devastating.

The only comparable injury to that of RVP is Essien who, admittedly is one of their top players. However, it's also in a position where they have the most strength in depth.

Other sides have suffered from injuries, but not to the extent Arsenal have. RVP for 5 months; Bendtner was sidelined for a month; Eduardo has been in and out all season; Denilson has had months out; Arshavin is currently sitting three weeks out; Walcott has had months out; Gallas as well; Gibbs (albeit a sub) has been out most of the season; Nasri missed the opening few months of the season; Ramsey broke his leg, Fabregas - "Arsenal's Rooney" will have missed the final 7(?) league games...

It's utterly devastated them this season. That said, I still don't think they'd have won the league or will do until the either get heavy investment or change their playing style.

Thankfully, it seems that people generally don't subscribe to the view of Arsenal being victims quite as they used to. I think a fair bit of that has to do with the Ramsey incident. Anybody with an ounce of sense could tell there was no malice in the challenge, yet Wenger claimed victimisation and laid into Shawcross. It was actually quite embarrassing.

But yeah, it annoys the hell out of me. Arsenal aren't really treated any differently, they just have a lot of small, quick, skillful players who draw challenges and fouls.

Looks like Big Club could be in trouble of sorts, well at least their owner.

Seymor Pierce threaten to sell Owners shares.

I think this is another example of being wary of dubious potential owners promising large investments in a club. I just hope that we never end up in this situation. I would like us to have more money to spend but not at this cost

Injuries are a big part of the game, which necessitates squad depth. It is Arsenal's depth that has seen them maintain a title challenge right up until the last four games.

United have had troubles with injuries, although these have been largely defensive, likewise Chelsea. The thing with the top teams though is that, for all their defensive problems, they'll usually outscore you anyway. A big of a flimsy argument, I know, but offensive injuries are most devastating.

The only comparable injury to that of RVP is Essien who, admittedly is one of their top players. However, it's also in a position where they have the most strength in depth.

Other sides have suffered from injuries, but not to the extent Arsenal have. RVP for 5 months; Bendtner was sidelined for a month; Eduardo has been in and out all season; Denilson has had months out; Arshavin is currently sitting three weeks out; Walcott has had months out; Gallas as well; Gibbs (albeit a sub) has been out most of the season; Nasri missed the opening few months of the season; Ramsey broke his leg, Fabregas - "Arsenal's Rooney" will have missed the final 7(?) league games...

It's utterly devastated them this season. That said, I still don't think they'd have won the league or will do until the either get heavy investment or change their playing style.

I think the point you make about Essien and the fact that they have cover for him is the key though. Essien is arguably as important to Chelsea as RVP is too Arsenal, yet Chelsea have cover for him where as Wenger decided to take a gamble with Arsenal, he wasn't forced to sell Adebayor who some would argue is a top striker, (Others would argue he's an inconsistent piece of crap, I'm somewhere in the middle) and not replace him despite suggesting that he may buy a striker both in the summer and in January.

Carvalho has been out for a large part of the season, Cech and Ashley Cole both missed ten games or so and at vital times, Joe Cole has been returning from injury and missed the majority of the first half ot the season, that's 5 top players who have been out for a considerable amount of time, not to mention when Drogba and Kalou went to the African Cup of Nations so I'd say they've been hit by injuries as much as Arsenal.

I just think that by saying, 'IF' they had a another striker etc is a pointless argument. It may be true but it's also true about every team.

If we had managed to sign Messi this year we'd be higher in the table.

I certainly won't be losing any sleep over moany Wenger and co having another season without a trophy. I do think it's a shame RVP has been out for so long but only because he's one of my favourite players to watch, (Except when he's banging them in against us) I can still picture that 20 yard volley he scored when the ball was around chest height, terrific technique. (Possibly even higher)

In closing I think it's just as easy to make an argument that IF Chelsea had kept all their players fit this year then they may well have walked the title by now, regardless of what Arsenal did. Again though it's a nothing argument as the fact is they did lose those players and you can't change that.

I think this is another example of being wary of dubious potential owners promising large investments in a club. I just hope that we never end up in this situation. I would like us to have more money to spend but not at this cost

That's a real shame about Birmingham, but a massive club like that will have no trouble at all finding a wealthy new owner.

Is anyone else getting a little sick and tired of Avram Grant? "Blah blah blah, We didn't deserve points deduction, Blah blah blah, Let us into Europe, Blah blah blah, We deserve an award this season!"

You're a small time club who spent beyond its means and are paying the consequences. Get over it.

Fabregas has been playing behind a lone striker, pretty much like Dunn, so it's a partner for Song they need.

Can't be right. There's some on here will have it that we are the only team in the land that plays with one up front. :rolleyes:

Archived