BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

Think you'll find NZonzi will be more or less the same next season as he has been this season its the players around him who need to change or improve.

No im not blaming NZonzi - he has been a terrific find, I just think he could use his size to his advantage abit more. Also with the experience he has, he should hopefully improve further next season....that goal will have given him abit more confidence too!

Player of the season?? For £400k, he cant be far off!

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Arsenal have net debt of £297m on turnover of £312m with interest payments of £16m a year, not as great as Liverpool or ManU but hardly on the straight and narrow. Their business model also depends on the Emirates selling out for every match.

N'Zonzi looks a potential star to me. He needs to fill out physically (a few extra pints of Thwaites each week should do the trick) and of course needs more experience but for a young lad he's an exciting prospect.

Player of the season?? For £400k, he cant be far off!

Well I voted for him. From a team going down from the French second division to their equivalent of the conference to premiership level, without any real problems - yes I know he's not by any means the finished article and sometimes he looks a bit lost but even experienced pros have days like that - he's been a "little" star.

A lot of harsh criticism for Wenger here.

Arsenal have had their three best attacking players missing recently (Fabregas, Van Persie, Arshavin) and yesterday had their first choice defensive partnership missing (Gallas, Vermaelen), as well as their best defensive midfielder (Song).

That's like taking Drogba, Anelka/Malouda, Lampard, Essien, Terry and Carvalho out of Chelsea, or Rooney, Fletcher, Vidic, Ferdinand (I can't think who their other best two attackers would be!) out of Utd.

A lot of harsh criticism for Wenger here.

Arsenal have had their three best attacking players missing recently (Fabregas, Van Persie, Arshavin) and yesterday had their first choice defensive partnership missing (Gallas, Vermaelen), as well as their best defensive midfielder (Song).

That's like taking Drogba, Anelka/Malouda, Lampard, Essien, Terry and Carvalho out of Chelsea, or Rooney, Fletcher, Vidic, Ferdinand (I can't think who their other best two attackers would be!) out of Utd.

However, they were questioning why Arsenal's injury list is always so long and more importantly why it takes so long for their injuries to clear up. Obviously a broken leg can't be hurried but there was a question asa to whether the kind of player Wenger likes small. quick and nimble, is prone to more injuries than the slower and physically stronger type. I don't know myself but it was Frank McLintock asking and he's Arsenal through and through so I did feel that perhaps the question ought to be considered.

Personally I don't think enough criticism is aimed at Wenger. With the resources they have available in terms of finances and personnel then 5 years without a trophy is unnacceptable. The press don't make a big deal out of it because of the style of football they play but they have no plan B when it doesn't work.

All of the top clubs have had big injuries at vital times of the season, I've already been over it but VDS, Ferdinand, Vidic, Giggs, Hargreaves, Cech, Carvalho, Essien, Drogba, A.Cole, J.Cole, Gerrard, Torres have all been out for vital periods. Arsenal's seem to have been noted more because they've happened at the business end of the season.

Other than Van Persie all of the above players mentioned have played in over 3/4 of their league games which I'm sure is comparable to the other clubs, missing Van Persie for the majority of the season is a big loss but so is Essien to Chelsea and Hargreaves to Man Utd who have both missed the majority of the season as well.

If Wenger wants to let people like Adebayor leave without replacing them and not look at his problems with the goalkeeper and having enough quality cover in defence then he should be questioned. Vermaelen has done well as a replacement for Toure but is Campbell, deemed earlier in the year only good enough for Notts County, good enough cover, is he any better than Senderos who they were happy to ship out. Wenger only seems to have replaced the departing players in his team (Other than Adebayor) but hasn't addressed any of the problems they already had.

The invicible Arsenal side that went unbeaten had the flair and free flowing attacking football that we see now but also had people like Keown, Campbell (When he could run) and Vieira who were not afraid to mix it up and get stuck in when it's needed. Wenger seems to have forgotten that somehow and then all he does is moan when things do not go there way, I could probably count the number of times they have fairly lost according to Wenger on one hand.

Despite Liverpool romping against West Ham, the odds are heavily on them finishing 7th. So Pompey in the fizzy pop think they have a prayer convincing the football world they deserve a place over the Anfield mob in the Europa next season (assuming Liverpool don't get the spot as defending holders)???

Just looked at the top ten in the Prem. If anyone doubted the Prem is a big city club league, the current order by location is:

1 London

2 Manchester

3 London

4 London

5 Manchester

6 Liverpool

7 Birmingham

8 Liverpool

9 Birmingham

10 London

Despite Liverpool romping against West Ham, the odds are heavily on them finishing 7th. So Pompey in the fizzy pop think they have a prayer convincing the football world they deserve a place over the Anfield mob in the Europa next season (assuming Liverpool don't get the spot as defending holders)???

Just looked at the top ten in the Prem. If anyone doubted the Prem is a big city club league, the current order by location is:

1 London

2 Manchester

3 London

4 London

5 Manchester

6 Liverpool

7 Birmingham

8 Liverpool

9 Birmingham

10 London

Good point and in the Championship, Newcastle,Birmingham, Nottingham etc

Arsenal have net debt of £297m on turnover of £312m with interest payments of £16m a year, not as great as Liverpool or ManU but hardly on the straight and narrow. Their business model also depends on the Emirates selling out for every match.

Actually, their business model depends on the apartments selling, which they are starting to do. That's where the interest payments get made from. The football club itself has made profit of about 40 million per year each of the last 2 years.

http://www.arsenaltrust.org/accounts.php

SOON to be :P

1 London

2 Manchester

3 London

4 London

5 Manchester

6 Liverpool

7 Birmingham

8 Liverpool

9 Birmingham

10 Little old Blackburn

11-20 - More London, Hull, Wolverhampton any many more.... :tu:

• Backroom

Would be outstanding but nigh on impossible, most exciting player at ewood since shearer and won us many games almost single handedly.

Craig Bellamy's days at Man City are numbered after a breakdown in relations with Mancini according to reports. Bellamy back at Ewood is a nice thought as I sip my bedtime cocoa.....

I may be wrong, but didn't he fall out with Sam at Newcastle?

Craig is a good player, but Hughes has been the only one to keep him in line.So he is a risk.

• Backroom

Bit off topic but has anyone seen the new deoderant advert with 2 teams playing footy?

I glanced up and thought it was tugay on my tv, they have blatantly copied the rovers kit of a few years ago with the navy blue sides.

Feel sorry for Liverpool and Fulham players and fans who have to travel by Coach, train, coach, plane and coach just to get there for Thursday nights game. Over 600miles for Fulham. UEFA should really have called the games off!

I am certain if it had been the other way, Hamburg and Atletico travelling it would have been called off. On another point it gives the Dingles a good chance of getting something on Sunday.

Feel sorry for Liverpool and Fulham players and fans who have to travel by Coach, train, coach, plane and coach just to get there for Thursday nights game. Over 600miles for Fulham. UEFA should really have called the games off!

I feel more so for the fans who are still in limbo as to whether or not they can still go to the games. I'm sure the players will be fine in their first class carriages and luxury coach(s) ;)

Archived