BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a feeling some posters on here may well be eating their words regarding Owen later this season.

No because we couldn't afford to gamble on him. They can. WE wouldn't have got him on the kind of deal they are apparently putting him on - he'd have wanted his full whack to be persuaded to come to us not an incentivised deal. And besides which allardyce thinks he's not worth a punt on so if, as we are always being told, we have to trust his judgement, then for a club like ours it was never a possibility.

No because we couldn't afford to gamble on him. They can. WE wouldn't have got him on the kind of deal they are apparently putting him on - he'd have wanted his full whack to be persuaded to come to us not an incentivised deal. And besides which allardyce thinks he's not worth a punt on so if, as we are always being told, we have to trust his judgement, then for a club like ours it was never a possibility.

Not knowing the terms of his deal yet, I hasten to disagree but a generous deal based on games and goals might have been enough before anyone else made a move. It would also have been outweighed by the lack of transfer fee.

We shall certainly see if Sam's judgement was right or not but I can't help feeling that Owen suffered from Newcastle-syndrome and will have a 'miraculous' recovery.

I think Owen was only ionterested in a big top half club anyway. He wasn't falling over himself to talk to Hull was he, though they'd made it plain they wanted him

Not disagreeing with that one gums, just that people were writing him off...

I think this is a hugely beneficial signing for all concerned.

United desperately need a new striker. However, it would appear that those out there on the 'wish list' are either unavailable or have since moved elsewhere. With nobody out there to spend the cash on, they bring in Owen for a season or two as a stop-gap solution. There is little risk for United as Owen is a proven goal scorer and will be signing on a free transfer, while Owen himself will be guaranteed playing time in line with the number of games he has managed over the past two seasons.

• Backroom

It is kind of bizarre, he gets the biggest move of his career arguably after one of the worst spells of his career.

Watch Owen get back in the England squad automatiically now

With Capello as boss? Doubt it?!

Shocked they signed him but im sure they will be well protected by the clauses they will put in his contract.

With Capello as boss? Doubt it?!

Shocked they signed him but im sure they will be well protected by the clauses they will put in his contract.

To be fair Hughesy, it will depend entirely on how well he does, fitness and form. Remember Beckham at Madrid and even now at England.

He does do second chances but only if you prove yourself.

i think i'm of the school of thought that fergie has lost it.................i'm nailing my colours to the mast now so i can say i knew it later, man u outside the top 2 next year, and owen to have niggling hamstring problems all season and looking completely out of his depth in european matches. Bad times ahead for united if they can't sign a world beater in the "one man team" mould of the ronaldos and gerrards of the world. An injury to rooney pre-season would be good then united would be utterly toothless.

i think i'm of the school of thought that fergie has lost it.................i'm nailing my colours to the mast now so i can say i knew it later, man u outside the top 2 next year, and owen to have niggling hamstring problems all season and looking completely out of his depth in european matches. Bad times ahead for united if they can't sign a world beater in the "one man team" mould of the ronaldos and gerrards of the world. An injury to rooney pre-season would be good then united would be utterly toothless.

Just so you aren't the only one with his neck out, I predict Owen will score 15+ domestic goals this season and 4 in the Champions league.

Beat that!

Agree 100%. The guy has lost 1 and a half yards of pace - just by signing for Utd won't get that back. Last season for Fergie!

If anyone believes Fergie has lost it then they seriously need their head examining, Im no big Fergie fan or Micheal Owen fan for that matter but what I do know is that Fergie is by far the most consistant manager in perhaps the history of the game in consistancy and winning trophies. His man management skills are second to none and I believe he will get more out of Owen than any of his previous managers have since he left Liverpool purely because he knows how to handle the big names (Plus Im sure they will share Racing Tips).

Im also convinced that Uniteds medical staff are probably more useful than Newcastle's who like the club have been an absoloute shambles for injuries and poor recoveries down the years.

Another factor in this transfer will be Owen himself, Im pretty sure that he will have much more motivation playing for Utd than he ever did for Newcastle and this will reignite the hunger and passion for the game, wrong attitude shown by Owen for the last few years but thats footballers for you.

Well I don't think Owen to manure is the masterstroke the media are making it out to be. The fact he sent out a brochure, and the other teams he was linked were the likes of Stoke and Hull, shows what most people thought of Owen - a gamble, who's past his best. I question whether manure would have even entertained the notion had they not been turned down by Benzema (sp) and lost Tevez as well.

Having said that Owen will do better then he did at the barcodes. He's playing for a much stronger team. Heck, I reckon I might even get the odd goal if I played alongside some of the united squad. Even if they get half a season out of him, he'll do ok and get a few goals.

What he won't do however is set the premiership alight. Nor is he the man to win back the champions league for united, this is not the world beater, who will win them major tropheys. I doubt he'll have a big impact against the top teams in the prem and champs league. Good finishing is all very well, but the rest of his game isn't what it was.

Whilst he must be a much cheaper option than Tevez, think I'd prefer the argentinian myself. He's not a gamble fitness wise, and his all round play adds much more to the team than Owen will. Reckon Utd have weakened themselves with this signing.

If anyone believes Fergie has lost it then they seriously need their head examining, Im no big Fergie fan or Micheal Owen fan for that matter but what I do know is that Fergie is by far the most consistant manager in perhaps the history of the game in consistancy and winning trophies. His man management skills are second to none and I believe he will get more out of Owen than any of his previous managers have since he left Liverpool purely because he knows how to handle the big names (Plus Im sure they will share Racing Tips).

Im also convinced that Uniteds medical staff are probably more useful than Newcastle's who like the club have been an absoloute shambles for injuries and poor recoveries down the years.

Another factor in this transfer will be Owen himself, Im pretty sure that he will have much more motivation playing for Utd than he ever did for Newcastle and this will reignite the hunger and passion for the game, wrong attitude shown by Owen for the last few years but thats footballers for you.

if there was an ounce of truth in him not giving 100 percent for the geordies they should sue for about 20m of wages and would indicate he has an appalling attitude...........5 years is'nt it since he went great lengths of time without surgery, don't see how that gets better with age.

fergies made a panic signing in my book and one that would'nt in my opinion help attract the world beaters he needs before he has to resort to giving the likes of nani and park long runs in the team

Id have to agree but you cant prove anything because when a player says he's injured he's injured, by your reckoning Santa Cruz needs sueing for the second half of last season. Thats the nature of football injuries pop up here and there when players cant be bothered and they are always the niggly ones that can't be proven either one way or another. I think the way the Geordies have been run for the last couple of seasons it would have been hard for any footballer to give their best with the uncertainty around the place. Would you give your all in a job you was unhappy in?

Good finishing is all very well, but the rest of his game isn't what it was.

Whilst he must be a much cheaper option than Tevez, think I'd prefer the argentinian myself. He's not a gamble fitness wise, and his all round play adds much more to the team than Owen will. Reckon Utd have weakened themselves with this signing.

When he selects Owen, Ferguson will set up Manchester Utd to play to Owen's strengths. And he'll set up Owen to take advantage of Man Utd's strengths. There won't be much to do on the latter task IMO. If he stays fit, I think he'll be in the top 5 marksmen in the league, even as a bench player. And he'll be in South Africa this time next year - he's certainly given himself the best opportunity available!! And no more commuting to Newcastle in a helicpopter. I think Owen has played a blinder here.

Much cheaper?!? Diddly squat isn't even comparable to 25 million quid ... and it's far more ethical than paying all that money to an dodgy agent! The best thing that could happen on Tevez is that even Citeh back away from paying Kia Joorabchian for the player and leave them both in limbo.

Tevez not gone anywhere yet plus Mascherano unsettled= Joorabchiam playing games somewhere.

The issue at Man U for me is midfield. I am not all that confident that when it really matters, what they currently have can cut the mustard any longer.

Let's see how much of the £80m Ronaldo and £25m+ saving on Tevez, Ferguson actrually spends by 1 September. My hunch is well over 50% will be appropriated for sorting out the Glazers' financial troubles.

chuckled to myself when a good number on here said they didnt want owen and now he's good enough for the champs.Yet still nerds on here still see fit to question fergie managers skills...well who do i think knows better fergie or puter nerds who watch online and sky only...mmmmmmmmmmmm lets look at the record of fergies against the nerdds errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr its close but think fergie knows best.

chuckled to myself when a good number on here said they didnt want owen and now he's good enough for the champs.Yet still nerds on here still see fit to question fergie managers skills...well who do i think knows better fergie or puter nerds who watch online and sky only...mmmmmmmmmmmm lets look at the record of fergies against the nerdds errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr its close but think fergie knows best.

In my case it's not that I think I know better than Ferguson. It's that we can't gamble what we would have to pay Owen in wages to persuade him to come here, and United can afford to offer him a very basic wage plus pay as you play because their prestige is such that he will want to go there anyway. Too much of a gamble for us - a fairly safe thing for them.

Archived