BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

How inferior?

City are rapidly looking like the read deal now. The players they have at the back who massively underperformed are likely to settle down with Terry and Lescott in the centre and don't forget that the flying machine Martin Petrov is back from injury. Zura probably won't!

And more than doubling your wages means you take the risk with it.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

HE's 29 and probably has another 3 years at the very top level.

£120k with at least 5 years to play - but probably will have to move on in another 3 years.

or £300k + a juicy sign on fee and probably a 5 year contract which he can sit on.

So given the recent tax increase for top earners - JT probably took a £12k a week hit under new tax rules.

HE now has the opportunity to take £90k a week rise/ 4.7m a year (after tax) + a big signing on fee.

As a PROFESSIONAL im sure most people would take the 2nd option!

How inferior?

City are rapidly looking like the read deal now. The players they have at the back who massively underperformed are likely to settle down with Terry and Lescott in the centre and don't forget that the flying machine Martin Petrov is back from injury. Zura probably won't!

And more than doubling your wages means you take the risk with it.

City won't be playing Champions League, no, European football next season. Sure, they might qualify for it next season but it's far from guaranteed. That spent a king's ransom last season and finished worse off than the previous. Let's also not forget this is the season before the World Cup, and Terry will want be sharpened up for the challenge ahead.

I'm sorry, but there's more to life than money. Especially when you're already earning a wage that's settled you for the rest of it.

Fancy he will get more opportunity to show off his defensive capabilities at Eastlands than he would behind Essien and Obi at Chelski.

Anyway, it looks likely he will be revealed at roughly the same time as Tevez and quite possibly Lescott.

However, there might yet be a twist in Tevez as Mascherano might suddenly be happier at Liverpool.

City won't be playing Champions League, no, European football next season. Sure, they might qualify for it next season but it's far from guaranteed. That spent a king's ransom last season and finished worse off than the previous. Let's also not forget this is the season before the World Cup, and Terry will want be sharpened up for the challenge ahead.

I'm sorry, but there's more to life than money. Especially when you're already earning a wage that's settled you for the rest of it.

That would be the same as Shearer joining us then in 92.

However he saw that we were a team on the up just as any footballer can say that City are a team that will be challenging for the Champions League places. The players they are bringing in prove their intent.

Besides...who on earth is not tempted by an offer to more than double their wage? Does not matter what you are on...everybody will be very sorely tempted.

That would be the same as Shearer joining us then in 92.

However he saw that we were a team on the up just as any footballer can say that City are a team that will be challenging for the Champions League places.

Not really, Southampton were not in the Chmpions League when he joined us were they? It was a step up for Shearer. Chelsea to Man City would be a step down.

Theres no guarentee that City will reach the levels theyre aiming for.

Theres only 3 reasons he could leave Chelsea.

1. Chelsea want rid, dodgy back and all.

2. Personality issues with new management.

3. Money. For both him (Double wages) and Chelsea (35mil + for a soon to be crock)

Besides...who on earth is not tempted by an offer to more than double their wage? Does not matter what you are on...everybody will be very sorely tempted.

I wouldn't take a backward step in my career for more money, when I'm already earning a fortune.

I forgot that Real have half the dutch national side in their squad!

I'd be amazed if they sold Sneijder, but the rest of Europe's big clubs will surely have their eyes on some of those players. Presumably they'll be available for reasonable prices as well in a transfer market that's gone mad and when Real must be pretty desperate to reduce the wage bill

I can't see Chelsea letting Terry go. They're already about to lose Carvalho - they can't let two of the world's best CBs go in one summer, they wouldn't be able to replace them.

Not really, Southampton were not in the Chmpions League when he joined us were they? It was a step up for Shearer. Chelsea to Man City would be a step down.

My point was not about Southampton but that Shearer chose us over Man United.

I wouldn't take a backward step in my career for more money, when I'm already earning a fortune.

Have you ever turned down an offer to more than double your wages?

Have you ever turned down an offer to more than double your wages?

I'd need the offer in the first place. :lol:

But I can say with some conviction, that if I was earning £100,000+ a week, money would be the least of my concerns.

I'd need the offer in the first place. :lol:

But I can say with some conviction, that if I was earning £100,000+ a week, money would be the least of my concerns.

Depends on your job too. I wouldn't accept an offer to double my wages if it meant taking a step down in terms of the employer because being a teacher, you need to like the place you work in and the kids you teach. If you don't you can't do the job anyway. There are better paid teaching jobs than the one I have but it means working in tougher conditions and I know teachers who have come on mainscale posts to our place just to get out of some of the hell holes they've been working in.

There would of course be other considerations. City are a team on the way up and it will be a great challenge. It seems the days of Chelsea trying to sign the big names are gone somewhat whereas City are going in for the likes of Eto.

The money would help. Sure he might be on plenty already...but so what? I have met very few people in life who did not want more money than they currently had. Regardless of what position they were in.

There are better paid teaching jobs than the one I have

What...more than double? We are not talking about a bit more here but a huge leap.

Mind you...it will probably all end up with Terry just getting a wage boost at Chelsea to keep him happy and City will, as usual, just have to look elsewhere.

People all have different views about City and hat they will achieve this season.

I am afraid, I am in the wont win faff all camp with Hughes in charge of so many superstar players and so many players do not go into the games available sceanrio.

How does 10 strikers into 2 places for 38 games go ?

How do they play petrov, Robinhood, Bellamy and Wright Phillips in that Team ?

For me, City will coe unstuck in the early part of the season and their downfall begins at Ewood :lol:

So not only double his money, but less games and less wear and tear on his body?

Yeah, a real dumb move for someone who's pretty much guaranteed starting at the World Cup.......

You would if you were only 5 or so years from retirement... Don't forget we're talking more than doubling your salary.

And Boots, we're not saying a harder job. It's the exact same job in the same school, just a lower set. And we'd be DOUBLING you salary'

You would if you were only 5 or so years from retirement... Don't forget we're talking more than doubling your salary.

And Boots, we're not saying a harder job. It's the exact same job in the same school, just a lower set. And we'd be DOUBLING you salary'

I already teach most of the lower sets so it wouldn't work like that. :lol: And no, not on double the salary because teachers' salaries are set by the government and are basically standardised across all schools but there are places you could go where they can't recruit and therefore are allowed to pay more to get staff. It would be a harder job for Terry, I think to go to City where he would have to start again. I know they are building up a new team but at Chelsea he's a legend just because he's been there since he was a kid. At City he'd have to prove himself at a time when, as I said, Chelsea fans reckon he's slipping rapidly. They would cut him some slack because of what he's already done for them - I'm not sure City fans would. They are going to look at what they pay for him and to him and think he should be a massive success. Not all that sure he would be. He looks nowhere near as good when he doesn't play with the right partner.

I already teach most of the lower sets so it wouldn't work like that. :lol: And no, not on double the salary because teachers' salaries ar set by the government adn are basically standardised across all schools but there are places you could go where they can't recruit and therefore are allowed to pay more to get staff.

I'm being metaphorical - although I sometimes wish the government would set footballers' salaries. Maybe then they'd have an idea about how the real world works, realise what a good gig they have, playing football for a living, and stop being such materialistic mercenaries, prostituting themselves and being pimped around to the latest Mr Big.

Not PL but don't know where else to put it. Marseille in turmoil following death of Robert Louis-Dreyfuss. Bit like when Jack Walker died in that they don't know whether his family are going to have the same passion for the club, so nobody quite knows what will happen there

• Backroom

Am I alone in thinking Terry isn't actually all that special? He seems to make a lot of erros but they get classed as uncharacteristic even though they are frequent.

Also Abbey I'm shocked to hear you would sell out the company for merely double the money after the glorious way they treat their employees :P

Nope, I wouldn't. I could already do practically anything with the money at Chelsea.

So not only double his money, but less games and less wear and tear on his body?

Yeah, a real dumb move for someone who's pretty much guaranteed starting at the World Cup.......

It's not about him being available for the World Cup, when lets face it an injury can arise anytime, but the fact he will sharper playing against Europe's elite.

Also, interesting to see the City fans on SSN saying that "money talks" these days. Is Kaka a distant memory?

Am I alone in thinking Terry isn't actually all that special? He seems to make a lot of erros but they get classed as uncharacteristic even though they are frequent.

No your not alone in thinking that away about Terry TCO.

Gets stuck in but is way too slow to be a top International player, plus he has a thuggish attitude.

If he earns the kind of money being banded about, then its time we all go back to the game at grassroots level.

Nope, I wouldn't. I could already do practically anything with the money at Chelsea.

You're in denial mate! So if you won £10m on the lottery you'd hand £7m back because £3M is be plenty...?

Bear in mind we are making analogies and I'm talking about someone doubling YOUR current salary, and saying overseas business trips won't be necessary for the next 12 months, and assuming you are close to retirement age.

It's easy to take the moral high ground though when you don't have a decision to make though! :D

You're in denial mate! So if you won £10m on the lottery you'd hand £7m back because £3M is be plenty...?

Completely different context. Analogy. does. not. compute.

Bear in mind we are making analogies and I'm talking about someone doubling YOUR current salary, and saying overseas business trips won't be necessary for the next 12 months, and assuming you are close to retirement age.

There is a big difference between what the average person earns, and the astronomical wages John Terry and co are earning. They're already set for life. Throwing another £150,000 on top is hardly life-changing. It's pure avarice.

It's easy to take the moral high ground though when you don't have a decision to make though! :D

Hand me a contract of £120,000 pw and I'll gladly make that decision. :D

Completely different context. Analogy. does. not. compute.

There is a big difference between what the average person earns, and the astronomical wages John Terry and co are earning. They're already set for life. Throwing another £150,000 on top is hardly life-changing. It's pure avarice.

Hand me a contract of £120,000 pw and I'll gladly make that decision. :D

Why, 3 million is plenty to live on - the other 7 would hardly be life-changing at that point....

Archived