BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

A certain whisky loving Scot would disagree with you there.

Let's not forget that Mourinho actually left Chelsea because they started to do poorly, he didn't leave on a high.

and he has got it dead on. Whatever they have given him has worked, investment in the youth team and then investment in buying good young players from elsewhere. However the money has started to dry up, I wonder when he will retire? Maybe 1 more title and then he'll think he has done his shift.

Mourinho was searching, and thought he would get the chance to win the CL with Chelsea. Unfortunately he fell out with Roman and it didn't quite work to his plan. Can't have it the way you want all the time. To be fair they didn't do to badly even in his 'worst'season.

I'm not saying it's the right approach to management, just something that works for those kind of personalities who thrive on success.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eh ?

What being undermined by the owner in the transfer market, think its a perfectly reasonable reason to leave.

C'mon Mick. Comparisons with Zola are well wide of the mark. Show some respect.

When's Grant pencilled in to depart Mick? :P

:D

Grant was appointed in the main as he seems to be happy to work under any circumstances and doesn't seem to complain about it...

C'mon Mick. Comparisons with Zola are well wide of the mark. Show some respect.

Sorry, it was a serious answer. King Kenny might have left anyway but stopping him from signing the players he wanted wouldn't have helped.

Jack wanted the team that won the title to defend it, and it just doesn't work like that. From memory, Kenny said he wouldn't accept that situation and wanted to leave, so Jack made him Director of Football instead, a total non-post. Ray took over and signed Matty Holmes and it was all downhill from there.

Jack wanted the team that won the title to defend it, and it just doesn't work like that. From memory, Kenny said he wouldn't accept that situation and wanted to leave, so Jack made him Director of Football instead, a total non-post. Ray took over and signed Matty Holmes and it was all downhill from there.

I think you could be wrong here, two things happened as I understand it, firstly, Ray Haeford wanted a chance to manage a club and was considering leaving Rovers, yes Uncle Jack stated that 'if it aint broken, dont fix it'

Kenny said that when you are on the top, its the best time to sign top players as they will all sign for you, it was a two fold thing. It didnt work out and the rest is history.

I can tell you, even if Newcastle had have come in for Shearer, if Kenny had been manager, Shearer would have stayed!!

The version I heard was that Harford was desperate to leave Rovers, and Jack had to beg him to stay on.

Saying that Kenny would've ensured that Shearer didn't leave is pie in the sky because Jack didn't ensure that Kenny stayed ... hypothetical.

Saying that Kenny would've ensured that Shearer didn't leave is pie in the sky because Jack didn't ensure that Kenny stayed ... hypothetical.

Kelbo also said that he knew that RSC's get out clause was put there at RSC's request.

So he's either very well informed, or ........ :)

My recollection is RSC's get out clause was negotiated into the contract according to reports in the press at that time. It was never a secret was it?

There was no secret about the existence of the clause Philip. Me and Kelbo were having a discussion about the benefits, or otherwise, of these clauses and which party they were beneficial to. Kelbo said that he knew that RSC's clause was put there at RSC's insistence and I asked how he knew that. Never got a reply from him, so I don't know if he actually does know.

Bryan's post reminded me of that. No big deal and well off topic :lol: Sorry mods.

The version I heard was that Harford was desperate to leave Rovers, and Jack had to beg him to stay on.

Kenny Dalglish was Shearers mentor, Shearer has said on a number of occassions things could have been so different if Kenny had remained in charge and Harford was desperate to leave to be a number 1 - that is a fact.

The Arse spend over £100m a year on wages so they have got to be giving it to someone!

Any way, hopefully it will silence posts which go: the x (28 year old established international) is on a free Bosman, sign him up Sam!

The transfer fee goes into the player's pocket, not the club's.

Sol Campbell got a £10m signing on fee? Wow, he must be a cracking negotiator!

No chance in hell Cole would get a £10m signing on fee. I don't doubt that he's agreed to join them though.

Joe's beef with Chelsea was he wanted to be on the same as Terry & Lampard (£130k a week). Chelsea wouldn't budge.

His Transfer value must be about 20m so as he is a free agent his agent wanted the £130k a week but Arsenal didn't want to make him their highest earner as some have clauses in their contract that would mean they too would have to be paid £130k a week too

So They will pay him £10m then £80k a week (4 year deal)

Do the maths its the £130k (almost £128k)

Joe's beef with Chelsea was he wanted to be on the same as Terry & Lampard (£130k a week). Chelsea wouldn't budge.

His Transfer value must be about 20m so as he is a free agent his agent wanted the £130k a week but Arsenal didn't want to make him their highest earner as some have clauses in their contract that would mean they too would have to be paid £130k a week too

So They will pay him £10m then £80k a week (4 year deal)

Do the maths its the £130k (almost £128k)

Actually that does make more sense now I think about it. Apologies for sounding like a smart arse. Still a £10m signing on fee does sound a bit high for Arsenal.

If true, it's still a cracking signing. £10m for a player of Cole's calibre is a steal. He'll be great at Arsenal.

Actually that does make more sense now I think about it. Apologies for sounding like a smart arse. Still a £10m signing on fee does sound a bit high for Arsenal.

If true, it's still a cracking signing. £10m for a player of Cole's calibre is a steal. He'll be great at Arsenal.

Think you will see Arsenal spending a lot of money this Summer, more so too if Fab leaves.

Not only aren't they winning things but the threat of Tottenham and Man City closing in on Top 4 will worry them into spending and spending big (In their terms). They will not want to be the next Liverpool and with Tottenham and City only 5 & 8 points behind them and both will spend again this summer (City more so) they will do something un Arsenal and spend. They may have a large debt but they are now making money more than most.

Interesting, I'd really love to see Arsenal spend big and make the title race a bit more competitive. Chamakh(sp) and Cole are excellent signings and they've spent very little so far in bringing them in. If they can keep Fabregas and sort out the defence, then they'll look good for a title challenge.

Out of interest, do you know much about the Fabregas situation? Ordinarily, I'd have thought they'd be forced to sell, but if Wenger can convince Fabregas that they're finally spending big, then maybe he'll stay?

Sound like a closet Arsenal fan TCJ!! :P

;)

I just like the idea of the title race being competitive, and this season was so dull. Also, Arsenal play some nice football, which would make it more fun to watch. I also like keeping the world's best players in the league, and too many are moving over to Spain.

Archived