BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

Any signing on fees lurking in the background at Livvie do you think mick?

Btw Granted he's on a free but do you not find it ludicrous that 2 of the shakiest clubs financially in the Prem still have not learned any lessons about offering giving big wages and long contracts to players. Is it a case of 'may as well be hung for stealing a sheep as for stealing a lamb' perhaps? Whichever way it's viewed Joe Cole alone will cost £20m over the next 4 years. Thats a lot of shirts to sell in current times.

Do you not think we offered him any signing on fee's ?

I just don't feel the need to slag off every player everytime you think there is an opportunity to.

Nodody knows his deal or what else he was offered by any other club(unless you believe what you read in he papers!!) apart from Sullivan asked Joe to name his price and then stated we had offered him the most money but he wasn't interested.

Liverpool are a bigger club than both spurs and west ham.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You cannot seriously think that Fulham are a bigger club than Ajax.

Fulham can probably offer more money and a bigger challenge.

The Dutch league has regressed quite severely over the last 10-15 years, to the point where Steve McClaren is winning the championship!

Seriously though, the Dutch league is beginning to offer as much of a challenge as the SPL. I don't blame Jol for wanting another cracking at the Premier League.

I dont blame Jol if he turns down Fulham....I think they over-achieved last season and their support is very poor (no offence ffan).

'Over-achieve' is a pointless turn of phrase. Whatever success a team achieves is based entirely on their own merit. It's also an ironic insult considering our efforts over the past few years.

The Dutch league has regressed quite severely over the last 10-15 years, to the point where Steve McClaren is winning the championship!

Seriously though, the Dutch league is beginning to offer as much of a challenge as the SPL. I don't blame Jol for wanting another cracking at the Premier League.

Exactly, Rovers are a relatively small club on the European scale, but are a far more attractive prospect to players and managers than the famous European powerhouses of Ajax, Red Star, Sparta Prague, etc...

There was some piece in the papers couple of days ago that said Jol's on £2,5M/yr in Ajax and Al Fayed is willing to pay his manager only £1,5M/yr. It also stated that some comprimised had been reached, but apparently not :)

Exactly, Rovers are a relatively small club on the European scale, but are a far more attractive prospect to players and managers than the famous European powerhouses of Ajax, Red Star, Sparta Prague, (what have the last two clubs got to do with our discussion??)etc...

And the above two posts highlight one of the major reasons that British football will struggle to reach the platform you all believe it merits.

Ajax have one of the best academies in Europe, a Stadium most in England would desire. 50,000 fans turn up week in week out and some players that the majority of Europe desire. Champions league football this year, I know which team I would choose and its not Fulham. You can say what you like about the supposed standard of their league, its far from being poor.

Whats the bigger challenge restore Ajax to being one the elite in all of Europe or getting Fulham back into Europe???

PS why can't people judge Maclaren on his whole career as opposed to just one Job. Is he not manager of one of the biggest and richest German clubs???

Do you not think we offered him any signing on fee's ? DUNNO. DO YOU?

I just don't feel the need to slag off every player everytime you think there is an opportunity to.

WHY WHO DOES?

Nodody knows his deal or what else he was offered by any other club(unless you believe what you read in he papers!!) apart from Sullivan asked Joe to name his price and then stated we had offered him the most money but he wasn't interested.

DO YOU KNOW SULLIVAN OR DID YOU READ THAT IN THE PAPERS? :rolleyes:

Liverpool are a bigger club than both spurs and west ham.

SO WHAT? THEY CANNOT OFFER CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FOOTBALL TO JOE COLE.

BTW MICK COULD YOU DEFINE YOUR UNDERSTANDING OF THE TERM 'BIGGER CLUB' PLEASE?

Ajax have one of the best academies in Europe, a Stadium most in England would desire. 50,000 fans turn up week in week out and some players that the majority of Europe desire. Champions league football this year, I know which team I would choose and its not Fulham. You can say what you like about the supposed standard of their league, its far from being poor.

Never mind all that and apart from 50000 turning up only every fortnight during the season Maj^_^ ....which club has the greatest annual income? Ultimately thats what counts.

PS why can't people judge Maclaren on his whole career as opposed to just one Job. Is he not manager of one of the biggest and richest German clubs???

He's a crap manager. He was at Boro and he was embarrassing for England. He is a coach not a leader of men.

We'll just have to see how he gets on in Germany once he's get used to pidgeon German. Out with all the schhhl's and in with replacing 'w's with 'v's and J's with Y's. Should be well worth waiting for. :lol:

I dont blame Jol if he turns down Fulham....I think they over-achieved last season and their support is very poor (no offence ffan).

Jol could get a much bigger job.

No need for that Hughesy! They fill their ground most weeks and seem a friendly bunch whenever Ive been down the Cottage.

If Fulham can't attract a Jol, we've less than no chance!

He's a crap manager. He was at Boro and he was embarrassing for England. He is a coach not a leader of men.

We'll just have to see how he gets on in Germany once he's get used to pidgeon German. Out with all the schhhl's and in with replacing 'w's with 'v's and J's with Y's. Should be well worth waiting for. :lol:

Oh yes crap managers get their teams to UEFA cup finals don't they? Crap managers take small town teams into europe don't they??

Just to point out Sven and Capello, two managers who have had great success at club level prior to taking your poisoned chalice failed to do much better than Maclaren. I'm sure he'll do a good job at Wolfsburg as he has at all his clubs, regardless of your blinkered view.

thenogdrog.

There were direct quotes from Sullivan, did you see any direct quotes from Cole or his agent detailing all the offers he received ? Thought not....

Liverpool are a bigger club to Spurs.

By that they have a bigger fan base, more recent success and more potential.

And the above two posts highlight one of the major reasons that British football will struggle to reach the platform you all believe it merits.

Whats the bigger challenge restore Ajax to being one the elite in all of Europe or getting Fulham back into Europe???

So why do you think Jol wants to go to Fulham then?

Ajax don't have anywhere near enough money to compete with teams in the Champions League. 10-15 years ago we probably could have named most players in the Ajax squad...now look at it. The only realistic challenge for Ajax is winning the Dutch league again.

You are aware that Jol is staying at Ajax??? He was apparently using them to get the Ajax board to give him some funds to buy players with.

Success in the champions league does not mean you have to win it, progressing from the group stages is one mean feet these days.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/f/fulham/8829195.stm - "Martin Jol has told Ajax he wants to become Fulham boss but the Dutch club are refusing to discuss a compensation package, BBC Sport understands."

Could be wrong, but that's all I have to go on.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/teams/f/fulham/8829195.stm - "Martin Jol has told Ajax he wants to become Fulham boss but the Dutch club are refusing to discuss a compensation package, BBC Sport understands."

Could be wrong, but that's all I have to go on.

The BBC are generally fairly reliable, so we will have to wait and see.

Still doesn't make Fulham a bigger club than Ajax, though. The only way that will happen is if Al fayed gives him the money from his harrods sale to spend.

Still doesn't make Fulham a bigger club than Ajax, though. The only way that will happen is if Al fayed gives him the money from his harrods sale to spend.

I didn't say Fulham were a bigger club, Ajax has plenty of history.

At this present time, and probably for the foreseeable future, being Fulham manager is a better job than being Ajax manager, hence Jol wanting to move.

Still doesn't make Fulham a bigger club than Ajax, though.

Nobody is debating the fact that Ajax are a bigger and historically more successful club, but as we all know too well football today is a money game and I'd hazard a guess that Fulham would earn as much from the TV rights in one season as Ajax do in ten years?

Nobody is debating the fact that Ajax are a bigger and historically more successful club, but as we all know too well football today is a money game and I'd hazard a guess that Fulham would earn as much from the TV rights in one season as Ajax do in ten years?

Ajax's turnover is probably twice what Fulham's is.

Its a done deal at 40 million coming straight from the horses mouth and the horse in this case being the biggest horse of them all when it comes to these things. This was as of 8 days ago.

This was a post from a couple of weeks ago about Tevez to Madrid being a done deal and that it would be announced at the end of the World Cup...... I'm pretty sure the World Cup has ended and I've not heard a word about it since.

Any updates Bobby??

Archived