BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

City are a disgusting club. £24m + £200k p/week wages to a DEFENSIVE midfielder that wasn't even a first-choice at Barcelona?

I'm sure if their fans read that they'd just label me as a jealous Blackburn fan, because our team can no longer buy success. However, our outlay and player acquisitions were no where near comparable to that of City and their soulless corporation.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Will City be desperate enough to move the players out, that they will fund most of their wages and don't ask for a loan fee? Jo and Caicedo could be options if we leave it late.

If nothing else, we'll probably see City win the Reserve League this season! I imagine many of the players they have may be happy to coin it in without playing first team football.

I can't see us being able to afford City players even with knock-down fees and subsidised wages, such is the apparant financial situation at Rovers.

For all the good the Trust have done for us, they seem to have saddled us with such a heavy debt that, even with the high value player sales and massive increases in TV revenue, we STILL (supposedly) have £20 million debt potentially hindering a sale.

Not too much. They'll find a way to spend that money again.

Did you have the same objections to Chelsea doing the exact same thing 5 years ago? Or is more irritating for you this time because City are from the nearest big city to Blackburn and had previously been cannon fodder for Rovers during the success of the 90s (on the playing field that is)?

Did you have the same objections to Chelsea doing the exact same thing 5 years ago? Or is more irritating for you this time because City are from the nearest big city to Blackburn and had previously been cannon fodder for Rovers during the success of the 90s (on the playing field that is)?

No, cos Chelsea bought well. They didnt just run around saying...."I want that one, Oh, and that one...and him...him too". They bought sensibly, in the most part.

I don't know where NOTW has got the 37 players from. In their official page squad there's 39 players + the missing Kolarov. Out of those 40, 6 are under 21's. That leaves 34.

Nielsen has already been loaned out, and so probably will Gonzales, leaving them with Given, Hart and Taylor between the posts. That leaves 32.

Kelvin Etuhu and Shaleum Logan won't be registered to first team even if City can't find them a loan club. That leaves 30.

If they leave Robinho, Caicedo, Jo, Garrido and Michael Johnson off, it's an even 25 (which includes the likes of SWP, Bridge, RSC, Onuoha, Lescott, Ireland and Bellamy) with several home-growns to spare.

I don't see any big issues yet.

No, cos Chelsea bought well. They didnt just run around saying...."I want that one, Oh, and that one...and him...him too". They bought sensibly, in the most part.

Shevchenko? Adrian Mutu? Veron? Kezman? Crespo? That's 5 off the top of my head - all expensive flops.

Of course City have made some clangers so far.. the 2 brazilians Jo and Robinho have probably been the worst. The difference between Chelsea and City is that City are starting from a much lower point so more of an outlay is required to make them a half decent side. I honestly don't believe they intend on spending £100m+ every summer from here to eternity. However this summer is Mancini's first as boss so surely he has to be allowed to make his own buys. I suppose it's a case of interpretation.

Shevchenko? Adrian Mutu? Veron? Kezman? Crespo? That's 5 off the top of my head - all expensive flops.

Of course City have made some clangers so far.. the 2 brazilians Jo and Robinho have probably been the worst. The difference between Chelsea and City is that City are starting from a much lower point so more of an outlay is required to make them a half decent side. I honestly don't believe they intend on spending £100m+ every summer from here to eternity. However this summer is Mancini's first as boss so surely he has to be allowed to make his own buys. I suppose it's a case of interpretation.

Nothing to do with them being flops. They were great players in their peak(except Kezman) and they were bought into positions that were needed/required. City's purchases seem to be nonsensical. It just seems that there is no clear plans, just a "who is available from big reputation clubs"

Example 1. They already have one of the finest defensive midfielders in the EPL in De Jong. Why then spend so much on Yaya Toure?

Example 2. Center Backs. Kompany, Lescott, Toure with Onuoha & Richards as backups. I know, lets sign Boateng.

Nothing to do with them being flops. They were great players in their peak(except Kezman) and they were bought into positions that were needed/required. City's purchases seem to be nonsensical. It just seems that there is no clear plans, just a "who is available from big reputation clubs"

Example 1. They already have one of the finest defensive midfielders in the EPL in De Jong. Why then spend so much on Yaya Toure?

Example 2. Center Backs. Kompany, Lescott, Toure with Onuoha & Richards as backups. I know, lets sign Boateng.

Yaya Toure is more of a box to box midfielder in my opinion and is clearly of a higher standard than anything City have at present. De Jong has been very hit and miss - he's generally a good no-nonsense tackler but his distribution is woeful. Could it be that Mancini doesn't fancy him? Remember it was your former manager who signed him.

As for the defence, well although Jerome Boateng is primarily a centre-back (note the spelling.. I'm English), he's also a very capable full back on either side as demonstrated by his superb WC campaign playing at RB for the Germans. City desperately needed better full-backs, hence yesterday's signing of Kolarov too. Bridge, Zabaleta, Garrido, Richards, Silvinho.. all not good enough and were found wanting during last season. I really don't see what's so 'nonsensical' about improving your side with better players.

Obviously there needs to be some kind of clear-out so it will be interesting to see how they do it - probably a fair few loan deals on the card one would think. ;)

I have mates who are solid City fans and I wish them all the best.

My personal view is that they have gone about it the wrong way, they are buyinbg too much too soon.

yaya Toure isnt half the player de Jong is, the money he is allegedly going to earn is obscene.

the best defender city had they got rid of (in Dunne). Splodging out on lescott has to be the biggest daylight robbery akin to when Rovers took a cool £18m for RSC. Both those players have come to be very very expensive FLOPS.

I still dont see how city can go and win the league this year with all of the upheaval. There is no doubt at some point they will win a cup or grace a final but as for outdoing the likes of Arsenal, Manure and Chelski, they will have to wait a few more years. By then the arabs may well have lost interest.

Whats certain is that City's youth system and academy will never be the same again. Once the best now noone of any note youth wise will even contemplate going there because of the spendthrift nature of the club, now thats where a club like Rovers will eventually benefit.

Good luck to city, I fear that it wont be the lack of a playing skill that will be their undoing, it be the alterego's of the players that destroys a team ethic.

I mean "my wallet is bigger than yours, or I want what he is getting" will be ever more prevailent in these times of greed and moody self centered players. Finally, as is totally evident, its not the project if man city that is attractive its simply the cash on offer.

I have mates who are solid City fans and I wish them all the best.

My personal view is that they have gone about it the wrong way, they are buyinbg too much too soon.

yaya Toure isnt half the player de Jong is, the money he is allegedly going to earn is obscene.

the best defender city had they got rid of (in Dunne). Splodging out on lescott has to be the biggest daylight robbery akin to when Rovers took a cool £18m for RSC. Both those players have come to be very very expensive FLOPS.

I still dont see how city can go and win the league this year with all of the upheaval. There is no doubt at some point they will win a cup or grace a final but as for outdoing the likes of Arsenal, Manure and Chelski, they will have to wait a few more years. By then the arabs may well have lost interest.

Whats certain is that City's youth system and academy will never be the same again. Once the best now noone of any note youth wise will even contemplate going there because of the spendthrift nature of the club, now thats where a club like Rovers will eventually benefit.

Good luck to city, I fear that it wont be the lack of a playing skill that will be their undoing, it be the alterego's of the players that destroys a team ethic.

I mean "my wallet is bigger than yours, or I want what he is getting" will be ever more prevailent in these times of greed and moody self centered players. Finally, as is totally evident, its not the project if man city that is attractive its simply the cash on offer.

city need a top creative cm and a better striker than adebayor. Maybe a top center half.

hart

kolarov 17m

boateng 10m

toure 14m

?Maicon?

Silva 20m

toure 22m

?Milner 24m?

johnson 8m

tevez 25m

?Dzeko/huntelaar?

Probably the team mancini is after as they'd pretty much be all his players and not hughes, milner in middle with a dzeko up front with a maicon quality right back would win the league.............the older toure probably being the weakest player there.

all the best to them no issues at all with city winning the league.

Beware Barney when the Arabs eventually lose interest, and I have no doubt they will, it could be the end of your club. Much will depend on their whims and their mercy. In your shoes I would not be all that comfortable with the situation.

Beware Barney when the Arabs eventually lose interest, and I have no doubt they will, it could be the end of your club. Much will depend on their whims and their mercy. In your shoes I would not be all that comfortable with the situation.

Haha.. I know how desperate you are for that to happen ;) - knowing our luck it'll happen sooner rather than later but there's been no signs as yet. All the indications are that these guys are in it for the long haul but who knows eh? We've just got to hold on and enjoy the ride - it wasn't so long ago that we were all desperate to see anyone, even Ray Ranson, take us over and pump a little bit of money in (a bit like you lot now - but at least you tasted success with Walker's money). Never in anyone's wildest dreams did we expect this. It'd be just like us to cock it up - we never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Harry Redknapp has just said City will win the title "sooner than later". So no pressure there then.

Usual diversion tactics from old 'Arry eh! He's like a broken record - he needs to concentrate on his own side. Incidently the papers are full of stories today about Spurs hi-jacking City's bid to sign Milner - "..He's a triffic player.. I'd luv to work wiv 'im.." :lol:

That's not the full story. They bought plenty of players who did little.

I don't see ANY difference between what City are doing and what Chelsea did. Both of them have used overseas sugar daddies to blow the rest of the league out of the water.

To claim one is slightly better than the other doesn't make too much sense. Chelsea have done it better than City so far but, then, they started off from a higher position.

Fair enough point that City don't seem to know what they are doing, however that is just funny. They are certainly filling the coffers of other Prem clubs by overpaying...Everton, Villa, Ours...

The Telegraph (national one) are reporting that:

Ireland has been told by Mancini he will not get a squad number and advised to get another club.

Robinho, Bellamy, Santa Cruz and Garrido will not be getting squad numbers either. City are daft enough to keep paying that lot not to play.

Elsewhere, a sure sign that the transfer market is jammed, Redknapp has told Keane he would like to keep him and is giving him a squad number.

The Telegraph (national one) are reporting that:

Ireland has been told by Mancini he will not get a squad number and advised to get another club.

Robinho, Bellamy, Santa Cruz and Garrido will not be getting squad numbers either. City are daft enough to keep paying that lot not to play.

Elsewhere, a sure sign that the transfer market is jammed, Redknapp has told Keane he would like to keep him and is giving him a squad number.

Unless they all take a massive pay cut and the transfer price is cheap - city will have to continue to pay these players for doing nothing.

Unless they all take a massive pay cut and the transfer price is cheap - city will have to continue to pay these players for doing nothing.

They will probably be happy to do that to stop them from getting into the hands of PL clubs which are rivals.

Mancini is now talking openly of biddng for Torres.

At the other end of the spectrum, Darius Vassell on the growing number of free agent footballers in the market.

Man City's reserve team will be worth a watch this season lol.

In all honesty any one of those players not wanted by them would walk into 80% of the teams in the premiership. Lets have Bellamy and Santa Cruz on loan from them, that would do nicely for next season ;)

Archived