BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

• Backroom

I like Fulham but lost a lot of respect for Hughes since he left us, carried himself with no grace whatsoever in my opinion.

I think he'll do well there though.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Journo on Five Live said that since the Harrods sale for mega bucks, plus the run to the Europa Final last season, Fayed is really keen on pushing Fulham further on.

Those clubs we can compete with financially gets ever smaller. :(

No disrespect to Fulham but it's a strange move. All that ambition to manage at top club, I though he'd have gone overseas.

As has already been mentioned, it's like going back to Rovers and being given a bit of money to spend. JW must cringe every time Hughes' name is mentioned given the fact that our lack of (even meagre) funding to back him meant losing him, and yet in bringing in and subsequently paying off P*** I*** we ended up chucking away the money anyway.

Can't say I'm genuinely pleased (because I'm not) but good luck Sparky.

With all due respect to Ffan, a regular visitor on this site, I have to say that I am pretty amazed by Hughes lowering himself to take a job at Fulham.

At little 'ol Rovers he was successful. At mega bucks City he can be construed as a failure because he had untold riches at his disposal and for me he bought poor;ly and the strategy he used was wrong.

No he finds himself at Fulham, a club similar to Rovers with even less of a crowd and a smaller ground. He wont be coming to Rovers for any defenders as he has Hangeland as his "Samba". He wont want Nelsen and unless he needs a right back in chimbonda I think we can say that we are safe on that score. he wont have massive money to spend and what he does get will have to be spent wisely.

I wonder where it will leave Ray Lewington who has looked after the club preseason ?

• Backroom

Who else wanted Hughes though?

His stock has fallen no doubt, he was tipped to replace Fergie when with us but he jumped to City as soon as he could.

Rovers fans have an opinion of Hughes that is not fully matched in the rest of the football world. He is seen as a good manager but what bigger club than Fulham would appoint him? The likes of Sunderland...perhaps, and certainly no bigger. Ultimately, his time at Wales was positive but he didn't achieve anything. At City he barely managed a top-half finish before getting potted.

Fulham a good, mid-Prem club. They have just got to a cup final.

Jisty talks of his "ambition to manage a big club", well...he messed up his first chance at that. Time to rebuild his reputation once again.

Good, intelligent move by Sparky. After all, let's remember that he was not even their first choice...

Aww, what happened to chasing your ambitions Sparky? What happened to the Champions League and your big fat ego (or "ambition) that was too big for Rovers? Went the way of the other superstars like Santa Cruz and Bentley?

Greedy, loyaless mercenaries.

I like Fulham but lost a lot of respect for Hughes since he left us, carried himself with no grace whatsoever in my opinion.

Why? He knew that he was on to a dead end with us and took the chance that he could be a success with City? You can't deny him that. Also gave us £18m for rocky! Nice bloke!

Just watching Harry Redknapp on SSN after his side got beat by Villarrael, no mention of the defeat but he did rant at the International break at the begining of the season.

He wasn't happy that he wont have his players until the Friday just before they play Man City, but City as most clubs, will also have players on International duty so there is no advantage to them, is Harry just getting his excuse in early, because you can bet if City beat Spurs then Harry will mention it after the game.

A good move for all concerned. Hughes will work his magic and rebuild his damaged reputation. None of the top four were going to appoint him, Liverpool passed up the opportunity, City are out of the question, Spurs and Everton aren't going to be replacing their managers any time soon.

He'll have a modest transfer kitty and a decent squad of players. It's also a good challenge because Hodgson left them on a high and there are some areas that really need to be addressed.

I wonder where it will leave Ray Lewington who has looked after the club preseason ?

I'd imagine Sparky would want shot of him. As his treatment of Parkes showed he doesn't appear to want a monkey on his shoulder who might become the players confidant.

Aww, what happened to chasing your ambitions Sparky? What happened to the Champions League and your big fat ego (or "ambition) that was too big for Rovers? Went the way of the other superstars like Santa Cruz and Bentley?

Greedy, loyaless mercenaries.

Bit churlish that. I hold the opinion that Hughes left cos the board either would not or could not back him in the Jan transfer window that saw Sav leave. After the wealth that he had created for BRFC in terms of unearthing talented and valuable players for peanuts I'm not suprised he saw little future at BRFC. Rem he wanted to give Arsenal 5 or 6m for Diarra but understandably the board thought that was too much. Unfortunately for us Real paid approx 22m for him within 10 months! Maybe the Arse wanted a Bentley type sell on clause? Who knows but it should have been the only reason for their stance?

After Diarra went to Pompey Hughes was also reportedly nosing around Tom Huddleston.... another player whose value has increased significantly since.

I'd imagine John Williams and the board would dearly love to hire the Tardis for an hour or two (or do a mean a nano second? :wacko: ) given those lost opportunities / profits and the disaster that ensued later that year. :angry2:

I don't know all the ins and outs of the issue of course but I'd imagine Hughes would still be here if Jack Walker was still alive.

A good move for all concerned. Hughes will work his magic and rebuild his damaged reputation. None of the top four were going to appoint him, Liverpool passed up the opportunity, City are out of the question, Spurs and Everton aren't going to be replacing their managers any time soon.

He'll have a modest transfer kitty and a decent squad of players. It's also a good challenge because Hodgson left them on a high and there are some areas that really need to be addressed.

Someone else echoing your views jonesy.....

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/opinion/columnists/robbie-savage/Robbie-Savage-Column-Why-Mark-Sparky-Hughes-will-be-electrifying-at-Fulham-and-who-Martin-O-Neill-should-sign-to-get-Villa-firing-article541325.html

Archived