BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ASHLEY Young has emerged as Manchester United’s top transfer target with Sir Alex Ferguson poised to offer £25million for the England winger.

The United boss has identified the Aston Villa player as the man to fill his problem spot on the left.

But United face competition from Barcelona, who beat them in last season’s Champions League final.

Villa boss Martin O’Neill is mortified at the prospect of losing Young, 24, a £9.65m buy from Watford in 2007, who signed a new four-year contract only eight months ago.

Significantly, he is already chasing another left-sided player in the shape of Middlesbrough and England wide-man Stewart Downing, who would cost £12m.

-_-

This is why I could never ever see Villa breaking into the top 4. They don't seem to be able to keep the players they have and can't attract anyone worthwhile. O'Niels a busted flush with limited vision and less cash IMO. At this rate with the queue to retire they'll struggle to stay in the Premiership.

Seems to depend on what paper you read :lol:

From the Mail Online.

Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp is preparing a £25million swap deal, involving David Bentley, to take Aston Villa winger Ashley Young to White Hart Lane.

Redknapp, who wants to oversee a big turnaround in personnel at the club this summer, will offer his £15m-rated winger in part-exchange for Young, whose manager Martin O'Neill is ready to move for Middlesbrough's England international Stewart Downing.

Redknapp is also a huge fan of Downing, who he tried to sign in January, but the attraction of the deal with Villa is getting Bentley off the White Hart Lane payroll.

However, he is likely to join the race for Downing if he fails to land Young. Spurs chairman Daniel Levy is insisting Redknapp finances his transfer activity this season after forking out almost £200m on a squad that failed to qualify for Europe last season.

Didier Zokora was sold to Sevilla last week and everyone else at White Hart Lane also has a price, apart from just four players considered 'untouchable' by Redknapp - Jermain Defoe, Aaron Lennon, Jonathan Woodgate and Wilson Palacios.

Even Robbie Keane, signed by Redknapp in January for £15m, is available and was offered to Sunderland in a swap deal for centre-forward Kenwyne Jones.

Bentley has flopped at Spurs since signing from Blackburn a year ago but by valuing him at £15m in a swap deal with Villa, it would allow Levy to recoup his money, at least on paper.

Redknapp is also talking to 36-year-old Portuguese icon Luis Figo, who said he was retiring in May after playing his last game for Inter Milan.

Young, who turned 24 on Thursday, has been in scintillating form for Villa over the past two years.

He was named by his fellow professionals in the last two Premier League all-star teams and has won four England caps.

O'Neill is loath to lose his brightest young star but accepts he will face a fight to keep the Stevenage-born player, who fancies a move to London.

Chelsea were also interested in signing Young until Florent Malouda's impressive late-season form for the FA Cup winners.

Villa have already made an inquiry about Downing, who has a foot injury which will keep him out until November.

He is on offer at a cut-price £10m following Middlesbrough's relegation to the Championship.

O'Neill faces a tricky few weeks, having lost Gareth Barry to Manchester City and Villa owner Randy Lerner reluctant to splash out on new signings.

Steve Sidwell, who could play the Barry role next season, fancies a move to Fulham. O'Neill is also a long-time fan of young Leeds midfielder Fabian Delph, who will cost £6m.

This is why I could never ever see Villa breaking into the top 4. They don't seem to be able to keep the players they have and can't attract anyone worthwhile. O'Niels a busted flush with limited vision and less cash IMO. At this rate with the queue to retire they'll struggle to stay in the Premiership.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/8...e-25m-Ash-dash/

Is this a first?

6 Premier League stars having tests done for HIV/Aids.

http://www.people.co.uk/news/tm_headline=s...-name_page.html

I think Fulham fans appreciate Zamora's work rate and enthusiasm. However, I think ffan will be the first to admit that he is really just a tryer who will work all day for the team, but create or score very little.

He clearly isn't the type of player we are after, especially not for £5m +, so I wouldn't worry - he won't be coming to Rovers.

Zamora's second touch is usually a tackle.

If we cannot do better than him for 6m then I'll drop me keks on the town Hall steps. Anyway he's a london boy who hates everything 'apnorf'.

Have we got any fans that live in Herts?

Clicky here

That's shocking, I hope they lock the thugs up, he may have moved on from us but nobody deserves that.

Hope he's okay and it doesn't mentally effect him too much.

Pretty shocking, if any of them turn out to be positive I guess it'll be pretty difficult to cover it up.

SSN are reporting that Bentley was attacked in a restaurant last night. Apparently punched in the face while sat at a table with his pregnant fiancee. Not cool.

Disgusting behaviour and the fact that they ran away highlights their cowardice, hope the police catch them.

No excuse for biffing Bentley- well plenty actually- but that sort of thing just isn't the done thing.

Hope the Police catch those responsible. The short list of suspects is currently all Arsenal fans, all Spurs fans and all Rovers fans.

The People are complete arseholes over the way they report those AIDS tests. There is nothing, repeat nothing, at all reprehensible or socially demeaning about taking an AIDS test and those People reporters ought to be paraded as public health risks for reporting the story this way.

Ibra to Chelsea? Any chance?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5426673,00.html

Personally although a very good player I've always thought he'd been a bit over rated so I'd like to see him come to the premiership to have a closer look at him to see how he does. Could do a Shevchenko ;)

I don't think anyone can be labelled world class without playing in one of the top leagues in the world, that in my opinion being Spain and England with Italy only being third and in my opinion getting further behind rather than closer.

Ibra to Chelsea? Any chance?

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11095_5426673,00.html

Personally although a very good player I've always thought he'd been a bit over rated so I'd like to see him come to the premiership to have a closer look at him to see how he does. Could do a Shevchenko ;)

I don't think anyone can be labelled world class without playing in one of the top leagues in the world, that in my opinion being Spain and England with Italy only being third and in my opinion getting further behind rather than closer.

I slightly disagree.

La Liga is clearly the best league in the world. The English PL on the whole is inferior to the Bundesliga. Serie A will be making a welcome improvement as a result of a new TV deal.

It has to be said that some EPL clubs churn out some shocking football - some of it is better suited to the dross that is the SPL.

I mentioned previously that Sir Alex Ferguson is interested in Sergio Aguero - it would be a sensational signing if United pull off the deal.

Manchester United.

With regard to the HIV story. Can we not have any guesses or hints towards the identities of these players or the girl. Only comment if you have an article to back it up, we do not want to be sued :rock:

If Tuncay does end up at Villa, what's happening with Bentley? Running out of clubs who want him. We couldn't get him back for a knock-down price could we? Whatever fans think of him he was the man who made Rovers tick.

Archived