BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

Villa are a club about to go backwards quickly. One week before the season no manager, an owner who wont spend and their best players about to leave.

Then again Sam may be so p#####d of here if he gets offered it he would jump at the chance.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Villa are a club about to go backwards quickly. One week before the season no manager, an owner who wont spend and their best players about to leave.

Then again Sam may be so p#####d of here if he gets offered it he would jump at the chance.

And who'd blame him?

I think Hoddle is too busy with his coaching schools to go back into management

Yeah he really enjoys working at his academy in Spain but he did recently apply for the Nigeria job so that suggests that he might be looking for a return to football. If he's a manager of a Premier League club then it could also help benefit his academy too.

It's only a long shot but might put a cheeky bet on

What good would that do us?

We can't afford to buy overrated and overvalued english players and that is MoN's main tactic in the transfer market. Sam is the best manager for our situation.

milner, cost 10 sold for what 30 million? Young, cost 12 worth 20 plus? Dont get me wrong he has signed duds but his gems tend to go for big money

Yeah he really enjoys working at his academy in Spain but he did recently apply for the Nigeria job so that suggests that he might be looking for a return to football. If he's a manager of a Premier League club then it could also help benefit his academy too.

It's only a long shot but might put a cheeky bet on

Get ya dosh on sam

At least BFS has made it clear that he will indeed be first at the door of whichever other club offers him more money, but many on here wanted him as manager despite this certainty. Hughes on the other hand lied every day about long-term ambitions, his affections for the club, and what not.

He's spent a ridiculous amount of money on Villa.

Had a feeling he would have gone this season at some point, slightly surprised its before the first game of the season. He has spent a lot of money largely on rubbish and has had nothing really to show for it. Also he plays a set way and i think sides have cottoned on to this and they aren't as effective.

Villa could be in freefall here, especially if they lose Young to Spurs and Milner to City. Could be a really tough season for them.

Had a feeling he would have gone this season at some point, slightly surprised its before the first game of the season. He has spent a lot of money largely on rubbish and has had nothing really to show for it.

That's a bit harsh. I bet if they sold off the players O'Neill had brought in that a fairly decent profit would be made overall.

They've been in the race for the Champions League places in the last two seasons. They've spent a lot by lower PL standards, but not by the standards of the teams they've been competing with in the league. Given the spending power of other clubs, sixth place is about as good as they could hope for.

I bet Sparky is gutted though, he'd surely have been in the frame for the job. There may not be any money to spend at Villa but there is plenty of scope for trading.

When i said wont spend i meant as of now. Its quite obvious Randy Lerner was fed up of spending lots of money on players like Harewood, Beye, Sidwell etc etc who never play and eventually get sold for almost nothing. If i was him i wouldnt be happly giving O'neill millions to spend each year. the list is actually rdiculous. You could add Routledge and Downing ( who cost 12million when Adam Johnson was availble for 7m) to it. Villa fans should be happy they may actually move forward with the right manager.

If Sam did go to Villa, how many from this list would be candidates for Rovers (before any takeover):

Curbishley A 3/1

Bilic S 6/1

McClaren S 8/1

Eriksson S 8/1

Klinnsmann J 10/1

Moyes D 12/1

Shearer A 12/1

Davies B 16/1

Houillier G 16/1

Venables T 16/1

Bradley B 16/1

Di Matteo R 16/1

He has spent a lot of money largely on rubbish and has had nothing really to show for it. Also he plays a set way and i think sides have cottoned on to this and they aren't as effective.

Nonsense. Villa were languishing in the lower reaches after O'Leary left in 2006 and O'Neill has delivered consistent top 6 finishes since then while at the same time revitalising a squad with (mainly) young English talent. He needed big money to take the team further which he clearly has been denied by the owner.

Thinks... I wonder if Mark Hughes is kicking himself for taking the Fulham job ?

Out

Kevin Phillips WBA £700k

Matthieu Berson Levante £1m

Ulises De La Cruz Reading Free

Peter Whittingham Cardiff City £250k

Eric Djemba Djemba Quatar Free

Juan Pablo Angel New York Red Bulls Free

Milan Baros Lyon Swap

Mark Delaney Retired

In

Stiliyan Petrov Celtic £6.5m

Didier Agathe Celtic Free

Chris Sutton Celtic Free

Phil Bardsley Manchester United Loan

Gabor Kiraly Crystal Palace Loan

John Carew Lyon Swap

Ashley Young Watford £9.65m

Shaun Maloney Celtic £1.1m

SECOND SEASON 2007/2008:

Out

Gary Cahill Bolton Undisc (in region of £4m?)

Liam Ridgewell Birmingham £2m

Jlloyd Samuel Bolton Free

Lee Hendrie Sheffield United Free

Chris Sutton Retired

Didier Agathe released

Steven Davis Fulham £4m

Aaron Hughes Fulham £1m

Gavin McCann Bolton £1m

Robert Olejnik Falkirk Free

In

Wayne Routledge Tottenham £1.5m

Moustapha Salifou FC Wil Undisc.

Curtis Davies West Brom Loan

Zat Knight Fulham £3.5m

Scott Carson Liverpool Loan

Harry Forrester Watford £250 000 initial fee rising on appearances

Eric Lichaj Unattached Free

Marlon Harewood West Ham Undisc (region of £3.5m?)

Nigel Reo-Coker West Ham £8.5m

THIRD SEASON 2008/2009

Out:

Luke Moore (West Brom - £3.5million)

Olof Mellberg (Juventus - free)

Patrick Berger (Sparta Prague - free)

Thomas Sorensen (released)

Shaun Maloney (Celtic, £1million)

Wayne Routledge (undisclosed)

In:

Curtis Davies (WBA undisclosed but around £7.5million?)

Steve Sidwell (Chelsea £5.5million)

Brad Friedel (Blackburn, undisclosed but in the region of £2 - £2.5million)

Brad Guzan (Chivas US, undisclosed, starts at around £800k up to £2m on appearances etc?)

Nicky Shorey (Reading, around £4m?)

Luke Young (Middlesbrough, around £5m?)

Carlos Cuellar (Rangers £7.8million)

James Milner (Newcastle, around £12million?)

Arsenio Halfhuid from Excelsior (undisclosed)

Emile Heskey from Wigan Athletic (£3.5m)

FOURTH SEASON

Out:

Gareth Barry (Manchester City, £12million)

Stuart Taylor (Manchester City, free)

Zat Knight (Bolton £4 - £4.5million)

In

Not that impressive

not me guessing figures actually from online http://www.astonvilla.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=7501688

Archived