BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

From what I've seen do far this season Villa, Everton & Liverpool don't really have much of an edge on us at all, obviously it's very early days though.

Liverpool have Torres and Gerrard, Everton have Arteta, Cahill and Saha along with the likes of Fellaini - those players will lift those teams above us reasonably comfortably. We don't have any big individual performers who can turn games, that's the difference. Both teams always start seasons badly.

Villa have better players going forward on paper but noone of the quality of the Everton/Liverpool ones so I think they're within reach definitely, especially given the disarray around the club.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Liverpool have Torres and Gerrard, Everton have Arteta, Cahill and Saha along with the likes of Fellaini - those players will lift those teams above us reasonably comfortably. We don't have any big individual performers who can turn games, that's the difference. Both teams always start seasons badly.

Villa have better players going forward on paper but noone of the quality of the Everton/Liverpool ones so I think they're within reach definitely, especially given the disarray around the club.

All the players mentioned for Liverpool and Everton are extremely injury prone though to be fair, Moyes didn't even pick Fellaini againgst Wolves much to the dismay of the fans, he doesn't seem to know his best team.

He will justify his fee if he helps Barcelona retain the title and CL. Dont forget they sold Yaya Toure for a bit more. I think Barcelona havent got a bad deal. Liverpool will miss him and Poulsen cant replace him. Question is will Pool use the money to strengthen or not.

Wow that price has inflated from the £18m reported this morning. That was the fee they paid for him from West Ham a few years ago so I was going to say they'd be disappointed not to have made a rpofit on him. If it is £25m then they have done a good bit of business.

Raffa did Liverpool a huge favour by slapping in a £20m offer for Mascherano.

I know I am in the minority thinking this but having that aggressive player in their side moves Barca from awesome to almost unbeatable by anybody. It was the one signing I was hoping they wouldn't make if European football were to be in any way competitive this season!

Wow that price has inflated from the £18m reported this morning. That was the fee they paid for him from West Ham a few years ago so I was going to say they'd be disappointed not to have made a rpofit on him. If it is £25m then they have done a good bit of business.

Is that dodgy agency who "owned the rights" to Mascherano and Tevez when they signed for West Ham still involved? The money might have been spread to quite a lot of pockets...

Raffa did Liverpool a huge favour by slapping in a £20m offer for Mascherano.

I know I am in the minority thinking this but having that aggressive player in their side moves Barca from awesome to almost unbeatable by anybody. It was the one signing I was hoping they wouldn't make if European football were to be in any way competitive this season!

Good point Philip.

After losing Toure they needed somebody to bite the heels of the opposition and break up any play the other team may somehow have. This signing means the likes of Xavi, Iniesta and Busquets needn't do any of the donkey work.

Real vs Barca is going to be fascinating.

Busquets is the king of donkey work. It will be Busquets or Masche in that side most of the time, except when Iniesta is pushed up to the wing.

Not IMO. I'll bet both are included the majority of the time. If you watch Busquets he's still a fairly elegant ball player. Mascherano is much better at breaking up play then Sergio.

Archived