BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

• Backroom

SSN say City are close to agreeing a fee for Kolo Toure, as much as I hate to say it they are starting to build a hell of a good team.

Although I still say Hughes deserves no credit for that as I doubt he's had much influence at all.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Touré was pretty poor last year though, Arsenal will probably start with Gallas and Vermaelen even if Touré stays. Arsenal have been linked with Hangeland again today, he'd be a very good replacement for Touré and make them a far bigger threat from set pieces (Gallas and Touré were probably the smallest CB pairing in the league).

I'm very surprised that you consider Toure to be third in the CB pecking order. He has been a mainstay in the side for years and has proven himself one of the world's top CBs. On the other hand, Gallas has proven a disruptive influence and, in the past, has voiced a desire to leave the club. Vermaelen comes with a good rep, but from an inferior league and I reckon it would take time for him to settle.

We've got to remember that it takes time for squads to settle and adapt to new arrivals. Toure and Adebayor were / are very much an established part of the first team, key players in fact. It isn't simply a question of finding a replacement but the time spent in transition. Even if they get a quality replacement, I can see Arsenal really struggling without Toure.

Touré was pretty poor last year though, Arsenal will probably start with Gallas and Vermaelen even if Touré stays. Arsenal have been linked with Hangeland again today, he'd be a very good replacement for Touré and make them a far bigger threat from set pieces (Gallas and Touré were probably the smallest CB pairing in the league).

City should be cutting out the middle man and going straight for Hangeland.

• Backroom
If Toure goes, that's Arsenal out of the top four. In fact, with their problems, I couldn't envisage them returning for a number of years. I'd be extremely worried if I were an Arsenal fan.

Depends. If this deal goes through, City have given Arsenal, a main rival, roughly 40M to strengthen their squad with. If Wenger is able to spend this money Arsenal will still be a force next season and have a very good chance of finishing top 4. If he does not spend wisely or is not allowed to spend enough then they will slip out of the top four within the next two seasons.

Adebuyor and Toure have both been tagged as bad apples, neither had good seasons last season. Arsenal have gotten fantastic fees for them - if the money is reinvested correctly they will be fine.

Sort yourselves out Pompy. Along with Hull, they look certain to go down. Usually I wouldn't be bothered but if this carries on the Dingles will stay up with ease.

If Burnley are going to stay up with ease, who else is going to go down with Hull and Portsmouth as you have not mentioned who will occupy the third relegation spot?

That would be a good move for Pompey, God knows they need strikers. Finally they seem to bet getting their act together.

Their financial position means they have to gamble a little. As we know ourselves, sometimes that can pay off.

Their financial position means they have to gamble a little. As we know ourselves, sometimes that can pay off.

Agree, but not sure it'll work this time. Zaki's goals dried up after Heskey had gone, and Pompey have no one like Heskey for Zaki to play off. Add in his unprofessionalism and attitude, I'm not sure that Hart has got what it takes to control this guy.

Would personally prefer Mido out of the sulking Egyptian brigade.

Looked at a few other clubs' supporters' sites.

Arsenal- cock a hoop about City giving them £44m for two duds but worried sick about their central defensive options given their early start in the Champions League and an extremely tough start to the season's fixtures.

Everton- hiding behind the furniture expecting Lescott and Pienar to leave.

Liverpool- observing that all except one of last summer's £40m worth of signings (Riera) is gone or going and wondering why Rafa is such a dud at transfers most of the time.

Looked at a few other clubs' supporters' sites.

Arsenal- cock a hoop about City giving them £44m for two duds but worried sick about their central defensive options given their early start in the Champions League and an extremely tough start to the season's fixtures.

Everton- hiding behind the furniture expecting Lescott and Pienar to leave.

Liverpool- observing that all except one of last summer's £40m worth of signings (Riera) is gone or going and wondering why Rafa is such a dud at transfers most of the time.

They have signed the centre back Thomas Vermaelen from Ajax to cover for Toure,so i don`t think it will be too much of a panic for them.

I'm shocked that Arbeloa is going for so little. I think he's a really good player.

Arsenal really have made some big blunders in recent times in terms of contracts and the selling of players. For example, they let Edu go only for Viera to be sold the following season; they got rid of Gilberto Silva only to then let Flamini run down his contract; and now they're selling Toure only for Gallas to similarly see out the last year of his deal.

At least with the Adebayor sale, they've managed to secure the future of Van Persie, although he must be seething at being convinced to extend his stay at the club on the proviso of keeping the current squad together, only for two of its most important players to be sold, while it remains unlikely that they'll even be replaced.

The worst thing about the Adebayor and Toure sales is that they've aided in teh strengthening of Arsenal's biggest domestic rival! If they needed the money, then they should have sold abroad. Unless Wenger makes some VERY impressive purchases in the coming weeks, I can see City overtaking them.

Archived