BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

Some significant injury news:

Hargreaves will not play during 2009

West Ham got problems as Boa Morte did a cruciate and is out for 6 months minimum

Wolves' Kightly is not healing well from his broken metatarsal.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Results in the Barclays Asia Trophy:

Tottenham 1-0 West Ham

Beijing Guoan 1-1 Hull (4-5 on pens)

I always think it is a bit strange how Premier League clubs play each other in this tournament before the new season, but I suppose it will give you some good preparation as you are playing sides who are about the same level as yourself.

Results in the Barclays Asia Trophy:

Tottenham 1-0 West Ham

Beijing Guoan 1-1 Hull (4-5 on pens)

I always think it is a bit strange how Premier League clubs play each other in this tournament before the new season, but I suppose it will give you some good preparation as you are playing sides who are about the same level as yourself.

Saw a bit of the spud/spammers game and it could have been 6-0 all one way traffic

They have some good young English players there now, are they trying to corner the market in view of FIFA's rule changes coming in soon?

They are still being linked with more young Englsih talent to with Delph meant to be done and now I'm reading they have bid for Miles Addison (Derby).

Some significant injury news:

Hargreaves will not play during 2009

West Ham got problems as Boa Morte did a cruciate and is out for 6 months minimum

Wolves' Kightly is not healing well from his broken metatarsal.

Some West Ham fans see the Boa Morte injury as a positive, Zola seems to have a blind spot to Boa.....

I'm shocked that Arbeloa is going for so little. I think he's a really good player.

Arsenal really have made some big blunders in recent times in terms of contracts and the selling of players. For example, they let Edu go only for Viera to be sold the following season; they got rid of Gilberto Silva only to then let Flamini run down his contract; and now they're selling Toure only for Gallas to similarly see out the last year of his deal.

At least with the Adebayor sale, they've managed to secure the future of Van Persie, although he must be seething at being convinced to extend his stay at the club on the proviso of keeping the current squad together, only for two of its most important players to be sold, while it remains unlikely that they'll even be replaced.

The worst thing about the Adebayor and Toure sales is that they've aided in teh strengthening of Arsenal's biggest domestic rival! If they needed the money, then they should have sold abroad. Unless Wenger makes some VERY impressive purchases in the coming weeks, I can see City overtaking them.

For a big 4 club they're very stingy when it comes to contracts.

As speculated earlier today: Manchester City have apparently intensified their hunt for Everton centre-back Joleon Lescott, by making an improved bid of £19 million, according to Sky Sports News.

Eboue could also leave Arsenal - looks like the clique of Adebayor/Toure/Eboue will be broken up. It had been suggested those 3 were 'trouble makers' behind the scenes.

Elano, Bojinov now on their way out. Jo out on loan.

Looks like they are making a much stronger squad for this season. If they can get Lescott and another midfielder, then I think Arsenal will finish 5th.

Petrov has dislocated his shoulder for Villa...

Also - Maybe 2 worth keeping an eye on -

Middlesbrough defender Robert Huth could be set for a return to the Premier League with Fulham prepared to pay £2m for the 24-year-old. (Daily Mirror)

Portsmouth had hoped to sign Croatian striker Nikola Kalinic but the 21-year-old's club Hadjuk Split are not happy with the £5.5m fee being spread over three years.

Middlesbrough defender Robert Huth could be set for a return to the Premier League with Fulham prepared to pay £2m for the 24-year-old. (Daily Mirror)

If we were in need of a centre back that would be a cracking signing for the price, but with Samba, Nelsen and Givet here it's of no interest to us really.

Have City got rid of all their excess strikers apart from Benjani now then? Bojinov, Evans, Caicedo and Sturridge have all moved on. To be honest, Hughes is doing a much better job than I thought at balancing that squad.

If we were in need of a centre back that would be a cracking signing for the price, but with Samba, Nelsen and Givet here it's of no interest to us really.

Have City got rid of all their excess strikers apart from Benjani now then? Bojinov, Evans, Caicedo and Sturridge have all moved on. To be honest, Hughes is doing a much better job than I thought at balancing that squad.

I was thinking for that price he would be quality, and then maybe move Zurab on for similar money. It's perhaps one of them opportunities that are too good to miss!

I was thinking for that price he would be quality, and then maybe move Zurab on for similar money. It's perhaps one of them opportunities that are too good to miss!

Not sure Huth would come here to play the 7 or 8 games a year that Zurab does, we've already got a selection headache with trying to accommodate Nelsen, Samba, Givet and Warnock into one defence, Huth would make that far too difficult.

I bet he's on huge wages too, he was highly rated when at Chelsea so I reckon Boro will have paid him a lot to go there.

If Samba or Nelsen were to leave though he'd be one of the top people on my list to replace them. Actually I think I'd swap Nelsen for Huth now.

Huth for £2m?! That would be one of the best deals in recent Premier League history - the guy is absolute quality. In a way, it's a shame that we already have such a strong defense.

Liverpool will be considerably weaker if they lose Alonso, while United have lost a lot of quality. Meanwhile, Chelsea have added precious little to their squad and Arsenal have weakened dramatically. I wouldn't be surprised to see City challenging for second place already.

In any case, the playing field is far more even now. The title race should be very exciting.

SSN - 12.07 Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has revealed he will not definitely enter the transfer market to replace Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor.

Very stupid if he doesnt!!

11.57 Marcus Tudgay has ended speculation about a move to Burnley by signing a new four-year contract at Sheffield Wednesday

Tudgay used Burnley to get a bigger pay day???

SSN - 12.07 Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger has revealed he will not definitely enter the transfer market to replace Kolo Toure and Emmanuel Adebayor.

Very stupid if he doesnt!!

Arsenal have loads of centre backs though - Gallas, Vermaelen, Silvestre, Senderos, Djourou and Song.

The only reason I can think of for not replacing Adebayor is that Wenger is going 4-5-1, as he has been doing more frequently for the past 18 months now. In that case Van Persie, Bendter and Eduardo is enough, with Arshavin and Walcott supporting from wide that could be a dangerous team.

They should invest that money in a world class central midfielder, they've been desperately lacking some bite since Flamini left. I think Nasri is out for the first few months of the season too.

Significant off-field news at Arsenal, Lady Nina Bracewell-Smith is selling her 15% of the shares to a pal of Usmanov. That makes a bid by Usmanov's Red and White Football to take control highly likely if true. This could have a lot to do with the current Arsenal Directors sitting on the £44m from $ity.

Liverpool apparently closer to signing the Roma midfielder. If as seems likely Alonso goes, looks likely that Turner from Hull and Catermole from Wigan will be their other targets which I would say will probably strengthen them overall as Prem challengers although weakens them in Europe- but they do still look short of numbers upfront.

Pompey apparently about to sell Nugent to Reading so the exodus from Fratton continues.

Elano, Bojinov now on their way out. Jo out on loan.

Looks like they are making a much stronger squad for this season. If they can get Lescott and another midfielder, then I think Arsenal will finish 5th.

Petrov has dislocated his shoulder for Villa...

Also - Maybe 2 worth keeping an eye on -

Portsmouth had hoped to sign Croatian striker Nikola Kalinic but the 21-year-old's club Hadjuk Split are not happy with the £5.5m fee being spread over three years.

Can't believe Fulham could get Huth for 2M. Absolute bargain.

Huth has not been the same since that bad injury- nothing particularly special now. If he is going to Fulham, looks like they might be expecting to lose Hagerland or whatever he is called- that would be a significant weakening iif that happens.

Archived