BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

Barnsley 1 - 1 Man City. I would of put my money on City to thrash them.

Makes you wonder how they will go on this season with all these new 'big name' signings.

When Mourinho did the same thing at Chelsea, he had the biggest ego of the lot of them - he'd just won the Champions League and was the self-proclaimed 'special one' and media darling.

At United Ferguson is respected by the prima donnas because of his experience and all he's done and won in the game.

But Hughes? Okay, he had success as a player but he's won nothing as a manager and isn't in the Mourinho mould. He may well struggle to tame the players Man City have signed and could have problems with those he has to leave out.

I'd venture City will jettison Hughes from 'the project' at some point this season. Still I'm sure he'll get a nice pay out.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Makes you wonder how they will go on this season with all these new 'big name' signings.

When Mourinho did the same thing at Chelsea, he had the biggest ego of the lot of them - he'd just won the Champions League and was the self-proclaimed 'special one' and media darling.

At United Ferguson is respected by the prima donnas because of his experience and all he's done and won in the game.

But Hughes? Okay, he had success as a player but he's won nothing as a manager and isn't in the Mourinho mould. He may well struggle to tame the players Man City have signed and could have problems with those he has to leave out.

I'd venture City will jettison Hughes from 'the project' at some point this season. Still I'm sure he'll get a nice pay out.

They've shown patience with Hughes so far, I can't imagine they'll get rid of him after he's just acquired a brand new team. The players have barely met each other yet, they'll need time to gel and I also doubt they were going hell for leather in a pre-season friendly. Let's see where they're up to in December before judging.

I'd prefer Pirlo to Ballack. Add in the manager knows the player, and how to get the best out of him, seems an obvious buy to me.

As for Delph it'd be football suicide to go to City. Only Tottenham could do his career an equal amount of damage. It'd be good for his bank balance though. If he has any sense he'd opt for Villa or the like instead.

Chelsea bid for Pirlo rejected.

Why are they trying to sign him? They already have Essien, Lampard, Ballack and Mikel in the middle of midfield.

The only thing I can think of is that Ancelotti will go with that horrible diamond formation he used at Milan, unless he doesn't rate Ballack (Essien and Lampard are certs to start, surely).

He played the diamond formation for the entire preseason. He even Malouda in there in the left-sided central position.

Followers of Pompey's woes will have noticed they were thrashed 4-0 by Benfica and Finnan did a hamstring yesterday.

A minor Brummie paper has Villa after Snejder, Velloso, Distin, Campbell and Rovers' Warnock The bit about Warnock is what found its way verbatim into the News of the Screws which Nicko rejected as a recycled old story.

Has to be said the Screws was dramatically inaccurate and behind the times in its Rovers coverage today. No mention of Poggy, Di Santo or Kalinic in its round up of Sam's forward searches and Ghillas rejected a move to Ewood. Err, yes.

There has to be something great to Jenas for so many (not just one or two) managers to really rate him but for the life of me I have never seen it.

I completley agree, not a great passer, not a great tackler, not a great goalscorer, decent at all three and a good engine on him, not a lot of difference between him and Andrews for me, Jenas is a bit more talented of course but other than a terrific engine I don't think he has a huge amount to his game, like you said though, several managers seem to rate him so maybe were just missing something.

If Spurs have really had a £10M bid rejected for Bassong, I wonder how much Samba would be worth nowadays?

About the same as roque I would imagine. Our stars all seem to go for the 15m - 17m mark for some reason.

There has to be something great to Jenas for so many (not just one or two) managers to really rate him but for the life of me I have never seen it.

I'm with you there. Very talented player but with no apparent appetite for the game.

Exactly my thoughts. Also Lescott bid of £19m turned down.. Samba is worth whatever he sells for id say!

I'd agree, Samba definitely has to command somewhere in the 15m+ bracket when you see the fees touted around for similiar players, I don't think Lescott is much better than him, if at all, Bassong isn't either, plus Samba is only 25 and probably had close to 10 years at the top with his physical attributes.

Nicko mentioned Bassong just now in the other thread and rather than get in trouble from the mods I'll ask this here:

Is Bassong significantly better than Onuoha or even Richards? I just don't see it. With Toure and Kompany also there he can't be a top of the team sheet pick, surely.

Archived