BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On this evidence, Huddlestone is becoming the player many always believed he could be.

Liverpool's defence was disorganised throughout the game and a midfield of Babel and Lucas totally uninspiring.

Spuds happily played hoofball until the 40th minute by the way.

Thought liverpool were very poor.

Benayoun was there best player when they came off the bench.

Not sure why they haven't signed a striker?

Rafa's transfer policy has been very odd. Spending big money on a right-back when they had been fairly comfortable there and then replacing Alonso with somebody who's injured until at least October (so unlikely to make much impact this side of Christmas). Ahead of the season, I had thought Liverpool would go close this year, but looking at today's bench - injuries to Torres and/or Gerrard would mean they finished miles away.

Thought liverpool were very poor.

Benayoun was there best player when they came off the bench.

Not sure why they haven't signed a striker?

They played three strikers today (Torres, Babel, Kuyt), Benitez just happened to put two of them on the left and the right of midfield. He's such an overrated manager.

If Spurs are smart, they'll end the transfer activity now. Finally getting a settled side and added the few pieces they needed. I think their big problem usually is too much turnover.

And Inta, it just shows that Gray is master of the obvious!

You're probably right there...

It's just goes to show how incredibly exaggerated footballers' reputations are these days.

It takes absolutely nothing for a player to be heaved into the pantheon of greatness and multi-million valuations. Which is why, imo, football globally is stagnating. There is less motivation for players to go that extra mile to learn new skills, break boundaries, innovate etc. etc.

As long as they're functional - they'll get paid millions and hero-worshipped. Why bother trying to improve?

Liverpool's centre midfield was what compensated for utterly average wide players and a total lack of depth up front. Their CM was the best in the world after Barcelona's. Aquilani better be brilliant and playing soon or they'll struggle to get third. I know we can't read too much into the opening games of the season, but I'd say Liverpool are more likely to drop out of the top four than Arsenal! They need a new striker and a new wide man.

Chelsea and Liverpool both looked extremely narrow in attack. At least Chelsea have some decent wide players to utulise once Ancelotti gets the rythmn going.

United were never going to lose that, even without Ronaldo they looked a cut above. Berbatov though, possibly the worst 20 million plus signing in the history of the PL. I don't think he is a top four striker

Bolton duo Gavin McCann and Danny Shittu will today join crisis club Portsmouth in a cut price £2m deal.

from the mirror

If people think that Rovers transfer budget is small - it is reported in the mirror today that Liverpool only have £1.5 million available. Maybe this also shows - if true - the money wise Rovers are a lot more stable than the so called top 4.

If people think that Rovers transfer budget is small - it is reported in the mirror today that Liverpool only have £1.5 million available. Maybe this also shows - if true - the money wise Rovers are a lot more stable than the so called top 4.

I was just thinking that myself, I wonder if there has been some focus on the financial side more this year??

Investments have been extremely poor and club owners will have taken a pounding, ie I had one small investment of just £5,000 on a 5 year guaranteed bond, I earned £22.50 interest over the five years!!!

Now magnify that with the millions club owners have invested and they will have taken a real pounding!!

Maybe even the banks are putting tighter constraints on Football Clubs!!

Maybe even the banks are putting tighter constraints on Football Clubs!!

That will have happened without any doubt. It's happening with most other businesses as banks seek to reduce their exposure to risk. The old saying about banks giving people an umbrella but taking it back when it rains has never been more applicable.

I guess that the boards decision to reduce our wage bill and our overdraft is directly down to this. The bank will likely have put our charges up to a level that is unpalatable to our board. It's lucky that we have been able to do something about it so easily, many clubs who have taken their debt to irresponsible levels must be really deep in the brown stuff.

Oh well. Que sera sera eh?

Archived