BRFCS

BY THE FANS, FOR THE FANS
SINCE 1996
Proudly partnered with TheTerraceStore.com

[Archived] Other Pl Happenings 2009/10

Spending this summer by the Premier League clubs is reported to be as follows in millions of pounds:

Man City 118

Villa 43.6

Liverpool 39

Sunderland 31.4

Spurs 27

Everton 22.2

Stoke 21.85

Man Utd 21

Chelsea 19.75

Birmingham 19.45

Wolves 16.5

Hull 13

Blackburn 12

West Ham 10.75

Wigan 9.4

Portsmouth 9

Bolton 8.7

Burnley 6.65

Fulham 5.5

If it's not aan oversight then Arsenal's figure is most impressive.

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think they are talking about spent...not profit.

Otherwise we wouldnt be on that list either :rolleyes::D

If it were net we'd be looking down on Pompey, Arsenal and Man U. If it were profit, we would only have those three above us.

The Villa number spent is interesting- we must have screwed them well on the Warnock deal.

Spurs have short memories. When you bring in too many high profile players, you have problems. I think that signing Kranjcar was a mistake. They've had an excellent start, the team looks stable. Why threaten that stability? Of course, Modric is injured but they have Geovani who was outstanding on loan for Ipswich and recently came in looked good against Doncaster. They have Bentley, who, no doubt, wants to prove himself.

Signing Kranjcar was an unnecessary moment (predictable as it was) of greed by Harry Redknapp. History has told us time and again, if you go greedy for players (think Martin Jol's final Spurs days, Pardew's Argentine swoop, O'Leary-Ridsdale madness) often, you suffer in the long-term.

Providing reports that he moved for c. £2.5m are correct, then Kranjcar is one of the best value for money signings that I can remember in recent years. They haven't got a single naturally left-sided midfield player in their squad, while the one that they currently play there is probably out for six - eight games. They now have quality competition for places all over the pitch. In fact, it is probably the best squad I've ever seen from a club outside the top four (excluding Man City this season). The only position I feel they need to trim is up front; they should have sold Pavluchenko.

Also, isn't Dos Santos a forward and not a left winger? He also seems to have faded into obscurity after failing to secure a permanent move to a mediocre Championship side...

Sorry, but I cannot agree with your post at all.

Spending this summer by the Premier League clubs is reported to be as follows in millions of pounds:

Villa 43.6

Wow, how can one club spend so much yet achieve so little? Where is that figure quoted from by the way?

Dunne £6m

Downing £12m

Delph £6.5m (+ £1.5m future add-ons)

Collins £5m

Beye £3m

With only Warnock to add to that list, I think they may have over-egged that figure by quite a lot, unless we have managed to get a massive fee for Warnock.

If it were net we'd be looking down on Pompey, Arsenal and Man U. If it were profit, we would only have those three above us.

The Villa number spent is interesting- we must have screwed them well on the Warnock deal.

And Liverpool as they banked £30m for Alonso

Wow, how can one club spend so much yet achieve so little? Where is that figure quoted from by the way?

Dunne £6m

Downing £12m

Delph £6.5m (+ £1.5m future add-ons)

Collins £5m

Beye £3m

With only Warnock to add to that list, I think they may have over-egged that figure by quite a lot, unless we have managed to get a massive fee for Warnock.

Not too sure that this is good business here by Villa. Dunne is probably an astute buy, but if he were that good why wouldn't Hughes keep him? Hughes knows a good defender when he sees one. Must be something to do with dressing room politics I guess.

As for the others, Delph is for the future, but Beye and Downing seem overpriced, especially from relegated clubs, hardly in the best of barganing postitions. And as for Collins, that's not the guy who played against us on Saturday is it? Average is the only way to describe him. If it's him, and Wham managed to get 5 million out of Villa, I'd be annoyed if we couldn't get double figures for Warnock.

Yep, that's the same Collins. I think Dunne will be a decent signing for them, but Collins just seems a waste of money.

To put our transfer dealings this summer into a bit of perspective, Villa paid £8 million for Collins and Beye whereas we paid £5 million for Givet and Chimbonda. I know which two I'd rather have!

Not to be an asshole about this, but the figures are wrong, so is the total figure spent.

Downing was 10m, 2m only comes into it if he plays x amount of games this season, which with his injury who knows what the number is and if he'll make it.

Delph-6m (add ons later to bring it to 8m)

Dunne-6m

Collins-5m

Beye-2.5m

Warnock- app about 7m + add ons. Am sure Nicko would back me that you did not get 10m for him...

Comes out round about 29.5m, we made 16m in selling Barry and Knight, so it's a bit misleading really.

Overall tho I think most of you make good points, Downing and Collins have question marks over their price tags for me, we were always gonna be high on the list tho as we had the smallest squad last year so had to mainly spend and avoid selling many. Sadly, pretty much every club knew our situation as well, esp defensively, which is why people like Warnock and Collins cost us so much in the end!

Sadly, pretty much every club knew our situation as well, esp defensively, which is why people like Warnock and Collins cost us so much in the end!

I think you'll find that Warnock is a bargain and especially so when one considers the price of England squad full backs this summer. I hope we burn you given time with the add ons.

I think you'll find that Warnock is a bargain and especially so when one considers the price of England squad full backs this summer. I hope we burn you given time with the add ons.

Well I am sure we can handle being burned for a couple of million over god knows how long....

Also, seriously now, 8m is good money for a full back, I know he was good for you but talk about milking it. How people were expecting like 10-12m when Barry went for money like that is just crazy.

Well I am sure we can handle being burned for a couple of million over god knows how long....

Also, seriously now, 8m is good money for a full back, I know he was good for you but talk about milking it. How people were expecting like 10-12m when Barry went for money like that is just crazy.

The circumstances are slightly different though... Barry's contract was due to run out and could've/would've left on a free at the end of this season.

Barry had one year left on his contract and is a central midfield player.

I think people are referring to Glen Johnson who went for £18 million and Bridge who went for £12 million as examples of why at £7-8 million Warnock is cheap.

There is no way that Warnock would go into a top team and have the same impact that Johnson has had at Liverpool. Bridge was just because it was to Man City from Chelsea. If City were in for Warnock I think we would have held out for more.

The personal value for us was higher but I think we still did pretty well from the deal. The Barry example is a perfect example, it would take Villa far more than £12m to replace all the jobs he does, but as a player he was probably worth less given he had 1 year remaining.

The circumstances are slightly different though... Barry's contract was due to run out and could've/would've left on a free at the end of this season.

Correct when Barry had a similar time left on his contract last year MoN (over imo) valued him at 22m when he was desperate to go to Lpool for his CL football! :rolleyes:

Tom....... the biggest threat to a smaller Prem club like Aston Villa is getting players into the England team. It's a nest of vipers that the FA continually condone by turning a blind eye. Trust me.

Archived